Western Boulder tang stamp folding hunter

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Rebstock

Western Boulder tang stamp folding hunter

Post by Rebstock »

I ran across a folding hunter that has both blades stamped Western Boulder. I know the Western States had both blades stamped but this is my first for Western Boulder and has no model number also. I'm guessing maybe an earlier made knife?
zzyzzogeton

Re: Western Boulder tang stamp folding hunter

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Pictures of the overall knife, both closed and with each blade open, and the blade stamps are necessary to give good opinions an assessments.

No model numbers on either blade indicates that the knife is PROBABLY pre-mid-1950s. How much before then will requires pics.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Western Boulder tang stamp folding hunter

Post by peanut740 »

Here is a Western Boulder Colo.stamped hunter with Rodger's bone handles.
Attachments
20200216_132228.jpg
20200216_132240.jpg
20200216_132250.jpg
Roger

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”