Western States question

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Aquadart

Western States question

Post by Aquadart »

Hi, new to forum and have a question. Have knife that was told was rare, nothing about model, etc and wouldn't tell me an approx. value. Have yet to find a picture but saw similar knife on your site/forum, "Big Imperial knife Hatchet". Think it might be P6610, blade and hatchet head. Would like info maybe old ad link. thank you so much.
[image][/image]
Attachments
IMG_5240.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Re: Western States question

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Not a 6610. The 6610 was a 66 knife paired with an 10 hatchet as a combo sheath. L6610 for leather handles, F6610 with Black Beauty handles. Also came as the F3910 or L3910, when the knife was a 39.

I cant tell from the picture if the handles on yours is aluminum or white composition pearl (aka celluloid).

If celluloid, it is a 2210. If aluminum, S219H.

These came out in 1941 and did not survive WW2. Probably a single run. Seldom seen and rare enough that the only way to know what it is worth is to auction it and see.
Aquadart

Post by Aquadart »

Thank you so much for the information. It is a composite handle, one of a few I received from an Uncle.
Rebstock

Post by Rebstock »

Its a 2219

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”