Western knife with arrowhead guard

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
DiceDemon

Western knife with arrowhead guard

Post by DiceDemon »

I haven't been able to find anything like this on my internet searches. How much could it be worth?? I obtained from my father-in-law's estate after he passed away. Patent no. is 1,967,479
thanks
Todd
20181001_205450.jpg
20181001_205426.jpg
20180617_181531.jpg
20180617_181524.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Western knife with arrowhead guard

Post by Gunsil »

The reason you can't find any others is that it is not a fully factory Western knife. It is a Western blade, but the arrowhead guard and entire handle assembly have been replaced by somebody other than the factory. The blade is rusty/pitted and the re-handle job isn't that good (poor fit at blade to guard) and the handle looks too large for the knife. It likely won't bring much money, may have more sentimental family value than cash value.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Todd, welcome to AAPK. I agree with Gunsil. Pretty much any value would be to your family and the guard's shape makes it better to look at than to use or to have much value if you were to try to sell it.___Dave
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Without a blade length measurement, this is a swag, but based on blade characteristics/profile and ricasso stamp, I'd venture that this is a rehandled X245 or 245R.

The stamp is a pre-WW2 (1934 - 1941) stamp. and the non-fullered, clip point blade, which says it is a 45 pattern, to me, at least. Actual blade length from tip to guard for actual model ID.
DiceDemon

Post by DiceDemon »

Thanks guys!
Todd

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”