Western Scrimshaw

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
whiskeytango315

Western Scrimshaw

Post by whiskeytango315 »

Hey guys,
I picked up these beauties a few weeks ago. Like to see your Western Scrim's. Or colored sets and singles. Not sure if there is already a thread on this, if so please relocate. These were purchased originally in Fairbanks in the early 1950's by a neighbor's dad while stationed there. I've had them looked at by a trusted source and was told that the only other set he had seen was at the Western factory auction when they went under. If there is anymore info you all might have, please let me know. Thanks,
Jeff
Attachments
IMG_20190430_184305_905.jpg
IMG_20190430_184305_902.jpg
IMG_20190430_184305_901.jpg
tongueriver

Re: Western Scrimshaw

Post by tongueriver »

I saw an article on these somewhere; I am thinking Knife Magazine, in the last 2 years?
whiskeytango315

tongueriver wrote:I saw an article on these somewhere; I am thinking Knife Magazine, in the last 2 years?
Thanks, I'll go back and check my pile of magazines.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wonderful set WT, I like the simplicity in the scrimshaw. Unique sheath as well. ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

There are lots of these out there. Several show up on the bay every year. Not all are marked Westaco Juneau, some are marked Western Boulder. The ones here look like the "scrimshaw" was done with an electric pencil. I am sure when ZZZY sees this he will have more info. I do know that many or maybe most were signed by the scrimshander.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Westco Cutlery Juneau Alaska would be a contract run, like when you see them with a Coast Cutlery or Western Field or JC Higgins. etc stamp.

Westco is NOT Westaco.

Westaco was a lower end line made by Western.

The "PAT'D Made in USA" means they were made after WW2 and before 1954. Specifically, I would assign these to somewhere between 1948 to 1954. Due to the rarity (i.e., the first and only WESTCO JUNEAU ALASKA stamp I've EVER seen), they were probably a single run order.

The earliest reference I have to the tenite handles was a 1945 post-WW2 ad for Finnish style knives. The only colors advertised on those knives were yellow, green and orange. No ivory or red.

I don't know whether that means red and ivory were not available in 1945 at all, or just not an option for the Finnish style knives. Because of this lack of knowledge, and the fact that the spacer pattern on the OP knives matches a 1949 ad, I assigned a 1948 date as the earliest for it. An ad showing ivory available as a color option dated from 1945 to 1947 would shift that "1948 earliest date" to the left.
whiskeytango315

Thank you ZZ,
I greatly appreciate the information on these. When they were presented to me, honestly I about lost myself. I figured they were pretty rare having never seen that stamp, but I knew they were Western for sure. I guess that being said they are going into the personal heirloom collection. ::tu::
kmerritt

Post by kmerritt »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:02 am Westco Cutlery Juneau Alaska would be a contract run, like when you see them with a Coast Cutlery or Western Field or JC Higgins. etc stamp.

Westco is NOT Westaco.

The "PAT'D Made in USA" means they were made after WW2 and before 1954. Specifically, I would assign these to somewhere between 1948 to 1954. Due to the rarity (i.e., the first and only WESTCO JUNEAU ALASKA stamp I've EVER seen), they were probably a single run order.

The earliest reference I have to the tenite handles was a 1945 post-WW2 ad for Finnish style knives. The only colors advertised on those knives were yellow, green and orange. No ivory or red.

I don't know whether that means red and ivory were not available in 1945 at all, or just not an option for the Finnish style knives. Because of this lack of knowledge, and the fact that the spacer pattern on the OP knives matches a 1949 ad, I assigned a 1948 date as the earliest for it. An ad showing ivory available as a color option dated from 1945 to 1947 would shift that "1948 earliest date" to the left.
I acquired these two Westco knives through family which lived in Alaska for many years. They seem to be in line with the above reply about Westco Juneau Alaska- Ivory handles.
I can provide more pics upon request. Please, if there is any additional information you may be able to provide, feedback is welcome.
One knife (small one) appears to have been used and resharpened many times. I think the sheath is original to the set. Both knifes are starting to pit. Restoration recommendations would be great.
whiskeytango315

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I sure would like to see some pictures of them!!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

kmerritt wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:28 pm
zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:02 am Westco Cutlery Juneau Alaska would be a contract run, like when you see them with a Coast Cutlery or Western Field or JC Higgins. etc stamp.

Westco is NOT Westaco.

I acquired these two Westco knives through family which lived in Alaska for many years. They seem to be in line with the above reply about Westco Juneau Alaska- Ivory handles.
I can provide more pics upon request. Please, if there is any additional information you may be able to provide, feedback is welcome.
One knife (small one) appears to have been used and resharpened many times. I think the sheath is original to the set. Both knifes are starting to pit. Restoration recommendations would be great.
No pictures?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
kmerritt

Post by kmerritt »

Wesco Scrimshaw double Juneau Alaska
Attachments
20211221_100623_remastered.jpg
20211221_100654_remastered.jpg
kmerritt

Post by kmerritt »

Wesco Scrimshaw double Juneau Alaska
Attachments
20211221_100709_remastered.jpg
20211220_132623_remastered.jpg
kmerritt

Post by kmerritt »

*Westco* correction to Wesco
Attachments
20211221_100616_remastered.jpg
20211220_132604_remastered.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The sheath is original to the set, which was called the "No. 84 Combination". 1950 manufacture. The smaller knife does not appear to be overly sharpened. What is it's overall length? The blade should be right at 3 inches long.

The sets came with red, ivory or orange plastic handles. I've seen sets where both knives had the same color plastic and I've seen them where one was red and the other ivory. Right off the top of my head, I can't say for certain whether the mixed color sets were 1950 or 1955/1959. The tell on set period would be sheath embossing and whether the smaller knife is a 48CAP or a P28.

The 2 knives in your 1950 set are the 48BGG, (predecessor to the P48A), and the 48CAP, which was intermediate in size between the 48BAP (predecessor to the 48B) and the 28AP, predecessor to the P28.

Down the road, the 1959-1960 catalog pages show that the Combination options had increased to the L84, P84 and 684, the name had changed to "Twin Sets", having leather, plastic and bone stag handles, respectively and the 48CAP had been replaced with the smaller L28, P28 or 628. The 1959 sheath now sported the familiar Western Oak Leaf and Acorn pattern rather than than the floral pattern on your sheath.

It is possible (or probable) that these changes occured as early as 1955, the next major break point in Western fixed blade changes, However, I have never found a full set of the 1955 catalog pages, if they even ever existed. Most of my 1955 based information comes in the form of magazine adds in sporting magazines from 1955/1956.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Westco is NOT Westaco.

[/quote. Great information .Thank you ! Would happen to have a date for when the tang stamp WESTCO. On fixed blades first appeared ? Thanks .
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

My only WESCO Fixed blade .4 1/8 inch blade length ,over all length 8 inches .
WESTCO  scrimshaw
WESTCO scrimshaw
WESTCO scrimshaw
WESTCO scrimshaw
WESTCO scrimshaw
WESTCO scrimshaw
Alaska sheath
Alaska sheath
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thomasg wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:43 am My only WESCO Fixed blade .4 1/8 inch blade length ,over all length 8 inches .image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Very cool knife. Wonderful handle

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”