Western Model Number?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
afishhunter

Western Model Number?

Post by afishhunter »

Way back in 1975, the Army Reserves gave me a Demo knife as a bonus for joining. ::tu::
I still have it. ::super_happy:: ::ds::

The knife was made by Western, not Camillus. I'm guessing Western had a government contract to make them or the military, at least for a little while.

There isn't a model number (or year) on any of the blades.

Does anyone know the model number Western assigned to the "Demo" knives they produced?
"Youth is wasted on the young." (George Bernard Shaw)
"Mr. Murphy was an optimist." (The General's Credo)
"I took the road less traveled. I now have no idea where I am." (Anonymous over the road truck driver)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Western Model Number?

Post by Colonel26 »

When you say demo, do you mean the camper style knife with the blade, screwdriver/bottle opener, can opener, and awl? If so it’s a 901.

If that’s not the knife you’re referring to, pics would really help.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Does it look like this?
Attachments
IMG_20200609_085642829.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

"Western" made the all steel Demo knives, but I believe they were made by Camillus.

I have never seen one with a model number. I have only seen them with the same "U.S." in the scale, like the ones made by Camillus.

IF Western had been making them on their own or under Coleman ownership, I believe they would have been in one of their catalogs. The style never shows in any Western or Coleman/Western catalogs. The knives appear in numerous Camillus catalogs from 1993 to 2006.

Camillus versions had the model numbers of 1760 (US), 1763 (USMC), 1764 (USN) and 1765 (USAF) in the catalogs, but not on the knives to my knowledge - I don't own any to check.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”