Western Stainless Camper date range?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
desmobob

Western Stainless Camper date range?

Post by desmobob »

A good friend showed me a knife that belonged to his grandfather. I didn't get a chance to photograph it.

It was a Western camper with a long oval shield that said "STAINLESS", lined bolsters, and a tang stamp something like:
Western
Boulder,Colo
Made in USA (I can't remember if it was "USA" or "U.S.A.")

The knife was very thin and flat for a camper, with jigged bone (or plastic?) scales and the bolsters had an almost home-made look to them. Is this enough information to give him a general idea of when it was manufactured?

Thanks for any help,
Bob
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling
zzyzzogeton

Re: Western Stainless Camper date range?

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Pictures of the knife as well as any stamps are needed for a detailed determination, but from what you have given us -

1 - Before 1973, as it still references BOULDER COLO in the stamp.

2 - If it has "plastic", i.e., Delrin, then it is 1961 or later. Delrin did not become commercially available until 1961, and Western was one of the first cutlers to implement the use of it.

3 - The earliest I know of the 901 having stainless steel handles is 1967/1968 in the 1968 catalog as the S-901-S. The 1961 version was the 901 and it was advertised as having bone stag handles.

If it has stainless steel blades and springs, it is 1967/68 to 1972.
desmobob

Re: Western Stainless Camper date range?

Post by desmobob »

Thanks for the information. ::tu::

I'll try to get photos when I see him next.
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”