How can I tell genuine

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
hard.times.lures

How can I tell genuine

Post by hard.times.lures »

I am a long time user--not collector of folding pocket knives--not fixed blades.

I wish to buy Western pocket knives that have the best steel carbon blades.

My question is how do determine knives made by Camillus or Coleman? What do I look for on the tang of the knife? I want only the better made blades that WESTERN MADE.

Any help is kindly appreciated. Bryan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: How can I tell genuine

Post by Colonel26 »

Western wasn’t sold to Coleman until 1983 I believe, so you want a tang stamp that predates that. The Western States tang stamp of course would be the oldest followed by the Western Boulder Colo tang stamp which was in use until 1973. After 1973 the tangs were stamped Western USA.

Starting in 1977 a letter was added to the Western USA tang stamp to denote the year. 1977 =A, 1978= B, etc...

Here’s a pic of the old whittler I’m carrying with it’s Western Boulder Colo Made in USA tang stamp. I cropped out most of the blade. Bless her heart shes been rode hard and put up wet so to speak with some real bad sharpening. But I still like her.
7854F431-3171-4506-8F79-D11D92A99F95.jpeg
540E0ECE-32D2-4BAE-87E4-5E1994C61946.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It really doesn't matter whether the knives are from the Western or Coleman-Western periods.

The knives were made of the same steel by the same people using the same methods and equipment from the Western States era onward.

Only after Camillus bought the assets in late 1991 did any of the steels or processes change.

That's because Camillus simply packed up the intellectual property and moved it to New York, sold the equipment/buildings and fired the people.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:25 pm It really doesn't matter whether the knives are from the Western or Coleman-Western periods.

The knives were made of the same steel by the same people using the same methods and equipment from the Western States era onward.

Only after Camillus bought the assets in late 1991 did any of the steels or processes change.

That's because Camillus simply packed up the intellectual property and moved it to New York, sold the equipment/buildings and fired the people.
Thanks for that info about the Coleman era!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”