Found this Western in a box of “ stuff “ I traded for.....

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
pearlroosterman

Found this Western in a box of “ stuff “ I traded for.....

Post by pearlroosterman »

I’m a 50 year collector of Case XX and Antique Remington knives but absolutely know nothing about Western knives. Just wondering if it is a decent user or something to just throw back in the “ trade off box”?? Thank you all in advance. John
John
pearlroosterman

Re: Found this Western in a box of “ stuff “ I traded for.....

Photos of the box find.....
88C64603-85D0-425C-B245-C076B961883F.jpeg
Attachments
75027D13-9B31-4A5E-8ACB-E7570F9F54B3.jpeg
John
clockman

Post by clockman »

Hi John, you have a model 77 handled in bone. Nice knife in nice shape. Value, $150 to $175 or so. 1950's to 1960's era. Your're lucky to "find" it. Best regards, Randy
pearlroosterman

Wow! Thank you Randy. I appreciate your help. John
John
pearlroosterman

Amazing what a little buffing and some polish will do.....,
7C8F768B-5381-433E-BFAE-11DEEB91F0F5.jpeg
John
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I'm surprised the Case collector didn't know about Westerns. It was started by a member of the Case family who moved out to Colorado and started a Knife Company. I think the knives they made in the 1950s and 1960s with carbon steel blades are some of the finest carbon steel there is from the US in that era.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
pearlroosterman

Probably did not make myself clear when I asked for guidance after finding a Western mod 77 in a box of trade material. It is not that I was unaware of Western brand knives, I just never learned much of the company or the knives themselves. Probably more of a regional thing but in the late 60’s when I was a boy starting to accumulate pocket knives, the Western brand was not a highly collected brand in the South. Nothing to do with the quality of the older pieces but more to do with when I first became interested in pocket knives Western knives were only sold in a discount store called Gibsons thus availability was extremely limited in small towns. I do appreciate the information I have gained over the past couple of days about my Model 77 and the Western brand.... John
John
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

John I used to peruse Gibson as well. I loved the fact that there was a gun section. Back to the issue at hand, that is a gorgeous knife to be found in a box of other knives. Winner. ::nod::
pearlroosterman

I know I’m showing my age, but the big discount stores could take a lesson or two from the Gibson stores..... They also sold Puma, back when they were a premier brand knife. Thank you Doglegg
John
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

John,

Actually your knife is a 1948 to 1952 version. late 1947 at the earliest. It has PAT'D MADE IN USA as part of the stamp.

The PAT'D makes it pre-1953 and the MADE IN USA is post-WW2, and most of the knives made by Western in the post-war 1945 to 1947 period were of the patterns made during the war.

The 5" blade 77s weren't made during the war. They first came out in 1941, right before the war started. For some reason, when the WW2 era L77s were made, Western chose to re-use the number 77 for the 7 inch blade L77s. After the war, they quit making the 7" 77s and returned to making the 5" versions.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

A wonderful old Western! I have two of those tucked away and they’re amongst my favorites.

I knew nothing about Western until I joined here. When I was growing up here in Kentucky it was CASE and those other brands. But I’ve surely come to love my Western knives!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
pearlroosterman

Thank you Colonel, you know exactly what I was trying to explain, knife collecting truly has a regional supply and demand issue. Take care, John
John

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”