Is this an actual Western knife?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Is this an actual Western knife?

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Hi, can anyone tell me about this knife? It is marked "Western" however, I have never seen that maker's mark before on an actual Western Knife. So... ::hmm:: ... is it an actual Western knife as in "Western, Boulder Co." or is this some kind of trade mark rip off... ::paranoid:: maybe some kind of subversive Commie plot to undermine American industry ::paranoid::
Attachments
DSCF2050.JPG
DSCF2051.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
tongueriver

Re: Is this an actual Western knife?

Post by tongueriver »

I have no idea what it is but it has no connection with any Western product from Colorado. Has a slight Asian tinge to it.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

That is one of the "new" Westerns put out by Acme United Corp., the holding company (HQ - Shelton CT) that bought the intellectual property rights to the Camillus and Western names.

It is the "Crosstrail". 440 stainless Titanium banded (whatever the heck that means) 3-3/4" blade, 9" OAL. Item# 19246 rather than model number.

All are made in China. I've used the Acme equivalent of the Camillus BM85 rubber handled gut knife (which was a Camillus spin-off of the Coleman-Western W85 gut-hook) and the Acme equivalent of the Camillus BM16, which derived from the Coleman-Western R16 which was derived off the Western W82. Only because one of my nephews thought I needed some new deer cleaning knives and proudly gifted me a set.

They worked like they were supposed to. I've only gutted 4 deer with them and just used my Lansky to touch them up. We'll see how well they last.

Side story - when the IP rights were being sold, the story goes that Ethan Becker was there to try to get his rights back on the Becker line of knives. When they came up for bid, Ethan made his bid and everyone else stood around and DID NOT bid, no matter how much the auctioneer tried to get more bids. The auctioneer eventually gave up. That's why Ethan is having his knives made by Kabar now.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Thanks!!! ::handshake:: I had a sort of "Chi-Com feel to it... ::smirk:: So this "Western" is maybe worth about $15-$25 as a fair price? I met Ethan Becker at the 2008 (I think 2008) SHOT Show. He signed the boxes of a couple of BKT knives I bought at his booth from him. He was very nice in person. However DO NOT METION to him that you think the scales on the BKT fixed blades are too smooth! ::doh::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:01 pm That is one of the "new" Westerns put out by Acme United Corp., the holding company (HQ - Shelton CT) that bought the intellectual property rights to the Camillus and Western names.
Thanks!!! I had a sort of "Chi-Com" feel to it... So this "Western" is maybe worth about $15-$25 as a fair price? I met Ethan Becker at the 2008 (I think 2008) SHOT Show. He signed the boxes of a couple of BKT knives I bought at his booth from him. He was very nice in person. However DO NOT METION to him that you think the scales on the BKT fixed blades are too smooth!

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Ok, so I probably don't get it. Why would a Chinese slave labor manufactured ugly knife with a net profit to a billionaire American who doesn't hire American labor be worth $15 to $25 to anybody who cares?
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Curious about that handle material, if you know?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:52 am Ok, so I probably don't get it. Why would a Chinese slave labor manufactured ugly knife with a net profit to a billionaire American who doesn't hire American labor be worth $15 to $25 to anybody who cares?
To which billionaire American are you refering?
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:19 am Curious about that handle material, if you know?
It is delrin or, I think it is similar to delrin.

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Per the Camillus 2020 catalog, Delrin.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for the info, guys. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”