Western USA Tiny Stockman Question

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Western USA Tiny Stockman Question

Post by knifeaholic »

I recently picked this up as part of a collection.

Western USA Stainless, W244 tiny stock knife.

What is unusual is that the handles are not Delrin and are not pinned - they appear to be jade.

My first thought was that it is a post factory rehandle - but note the tang stamp with "J" in a circle.

Wondering if this may have been some sort of special factory run with jade handles?
Attachments
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
zzyzzogeton

Re: Western USA Tiny Stockman Question

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It's a rehandle job. The W244s and other wood handled folders of the Western-Coleman era had resin impregnated wood handles,with big rivets.

I was gonna post a picture of the original configuration, but I'm not able to post pics right now for some reason.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:18 pm It's a rehandle job. The W244s and other wood handled folders of the Western-Coleman era had resin impregnated wood handles,with big rivets.

I was gonna post a picture of the original configuration, but I'm not able to post pics right now for some reason.
Thanks, Yes I know the standard...but what does the "J" on the tang stamp indicate?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I would think it stands for 1988. The date stamps started with A in 1978, the B in 1979, etc….

But I don’t normally see the year code in a circle. So…..
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

knifeaholic wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:09 pm but what does the "J" on the tang stamp indicate?
Steve:

This doesn't actually answer your question but it could lead you to the answer. Check out the last post and follow the link. That Stockman has a letter "J" on it.viewtopic.php?t=43851

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

For whatever reason, Coleman-Western decided to use a Circle I and a Circle J for 1985 and 1986. For 1987-1991, K, L, M and N and O, the circle was dropped.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I asked an online friend who worked at Western from the mid-70s to the Camillus purchase who said the Circle I and Circle J stamp was something that Coleman corporate implemented and then cancelled. He has no clue as to why they implemented the Circle and even less clue as to why they dropped it.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Thank you for the replies everyone, much appreciated!

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”