Western G46-6 steel washer pommel

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
steve99f

Western G46-6 steel washer pommel

Post by steve99f »

Found this Western G46-6 at a local knife show today. Looks to be in nice condition for WW II vet. Bright blued 6 in blade, steel dbl guard, and an original sheath I believe.I've attached a couple of pics. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
mark side.jpg
pile side.jpg
mark b.jpg
steve99f
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Western G46-6 steel washer pommel

Post by doglegg »

::nod:: ::nod::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Very nice! ::tu::
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Amazing condition and great knife.___Dave
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sweet!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thank you for the kind comments guys. A pic of both of the "sharks" I have, the new one in much better condition. The top one is early post war per ZZ and bottom is WW II production based on "Military Knives, A Reference Book" article by Michael W. Silvey.
Attachments
Western 46-6, 2 examples.jpg
steve99f
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Hey steve99f,

The top one is a "baby shark" as opposed to a "shark" - 5 inch blade and no lanyard hole in the pommel.

With a non-fullered, 5 inch blade, the bottom one is a SEABEES knife, i.e., L71.

For identification purposes, all sharks and baby sharks have fullered blades.

5" blades for baby sharks, 6" blades for sharks.

Unfullered 5" blades = seabees.

There are a very rare few "baby shark Seabees" with the MK2 pommel and a fuller. I have always figured that these were L71 Seabees knives constructed using baby shark blades and a MK2-style Seabees pommel to fill out a order or two of Seabees knives.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I have a baby shark and it is a wonderful knife. But I’d give my eye teeth to find that SeeBee knife. WOW!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:18 pm Hey steve99f,

The top one is a "baby shark" as opposed to a "shark" - 5 inch blade and no lanyard hole in the pommel.

With a non-fullered, 5 inch blade, the bottom one is a SEABEES knife, i.e., L71.

There are a very rare few "baby shark Seabees" with the MK2 pommel and a fuller. I have always figured that these were L71 Seabees knives constructed using baby shark blades and a MK2-style Seabees pommel to fill out a order or two of Seabees knives.
Good Morning ZZ,

Thanks for responding to my post as I was looking forward to read your take on the new knife. Both knives have 6 inch blades and both are fullered. I've attached a couple of pics to show length as well as the fuller. The new knife does have a steel double guard rather than the half guard on the one pic of a Seabee model I have. Not sure I caught the fuller all that well. Looking forward to read you response.

Steve99f
Attachments
Western 46-6 blued blade.jpg
Western 46-6 pic.jpg
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:55 pm I have a baby shark and it is a wonderful knife. But I’d give my eye teeth to find that SeeBee knife. WOW!
It may not be a Seabee, Colonel as it does ave a 6 inch blade but thanks for the kind comment, it is a nice one whatever its model. ::tu::
steve99f
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

steve99f wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:13 pm
zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:18 pm Hey steve99f,

Good Morning ZZ,

Thanks for responding to my post as I was looking forward to read your take on the new knife. Both knives have 6 inch blades and both are fullered. I've attached a couple of pics to show length as well as the fuller. The new knife does have a steel double guard rather than the half guard on the one pic of a Seabee model I have. Not sure I caught the fuller all that well. Looking forward to read you response.

Steve99f
Well, that makes the top G46-6 a rarity - no lanyard hole.

ZZZ

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”