Sheath Question

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
DanTX1953

Sheath Question

Post by DanTX1953 »

Other than the Black Beauty series, did any Western (or Western Boulder) fixed blade knives come with a black sheath ?
Folgore1

Re: Sheath Question

Post by Folgore1 »

not sure on that one but i do know you do not keep your western knife in the sheath , i have 2 big bowie type western knives we won in a contest back in 1980's well we never took them out of sheath much which was huge mistake as they now are rusted really bad , polish will not take the rust spots off and buffing blade will remove original finish ::dang::
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

As far as I know the Black Beauty type knives were the only knives sold with the black sheaths. zzyzzogetton would know for sure.

Folgore when you say you have 2 big bowie type knives, were these knives acutally Western knives? If the sheath caused the knife to rust iI doubt it was a Western brand sheath. Chrome tanned sheaths are notorious for corroding carbon steel and Western sheaths are not chrome tanned. If the knives and sheaths are original Western I would say that the knives must have been wet or had something corrisive on the blades.

As a matter of convenience I store my fixed blades in the sheaths and have never had any problems with corrosion or carbon steel blades.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Folgore1

Post by Folgore1 »

hi it was definetly a western knife and a western sheath , my mom won a coleman/western contest back in 1980's and they were part of the give away i still have both of them as well as few others smaller and one is a ax with sheath all by western and all have rusted due to them being kept in sheath , ive known since 1970's to not keep your knives in leather sheaths as they will rust due to tanning methods used . i will post some pics in next few days when i dig them out so you can see first hand of what happened , the blades /knives were never used for anything they were always in sheaths and all have rusted. also have a very old ccc brand bigger than a bowie and it also has rusted due to it being kept in sheath so from my experience you do not want to keep your knives in leather at all or take chance of them rusting on ya ::tu::
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Folgore1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:00 am hi it was definetly a western knife and a western sheath , my mom won a coleman/western contest back in 1980's and they were part of the give away i still have both of them as well as few others smaller and one is a ax with sheath all by western and all have rusted due to them being kept in sheath , ive known since 1970's to not keep your knives in leather sheaths as they will rust due to tanning methods used . i will post some pics in next few days when i dig them out so you can see first hand of what happened , the blades /knives were never used for anything they were always in sheaths and all have rusted. also have a very old ccc brand bigger than a bowie and it also has rusted due to it being kept in sheath so from my experience you do not want to keep your knives in leather at all or take chance of them rusting on ya ::tu::
I have stored hundreds of old carbon steel fixed blade knives in their original sheaths for many years without a single corrosion problem. If stored in a wet or very humid environment I can see where they would corrode but that corrosion would not be from the sheath. Hard for me to imagine the manufacturers of these knives selling a product designed to corrode in the supplied sheaths. ::shrug::
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

This 1941 stag was bought with a black sheath .whether or not it is the original sheath I do not know .it could be a sheath from a black beauty that I believe was first offered by western in 1960 ?
1941 fixed blade .
1941 fixed blade .
1941 fixed blade
1941 fixed blade

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”