New User - 1st Western and it's a good one

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
911diecast

New User - 1st Western and it's a good one

Post by 911diecast »

I had bought an auction lot, not for the knife, for a law enforcment item and the following knife was in the lot.

After conversing with zzyzzogeton, to the best of his knowledge (which is far greater than anyone I know), this western knife is a L66 with a steel guard and a post WW2 stamp which would place it as an early to mid-1946 version. The spacers are white plastic.
20230111_214447.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-14 120821.jpg
Guess not bad for my 1st Western. I now need to get a leather replacement washer set to get it back to a good condition.

Thank you Wayne for all the help.

Keith
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New User - 1st Western and it's a good one

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Likely has as good steel as you’ll find in any knife of that vintage. ::tu:: Be sure to post pictures of the post-restoration. ::tu::

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”