A Childs Understanding

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Childs Understanding

Post by dlr110 »

I've been doing some woodburning and I did these 9 Presidents on little 2" disks. I sent this picture to my daughter and told her to ask the little ones (8 years old) one thing they knew about these Presidents. Here is their response. I'm sure their mother will teach them a little more than these.

George Washington - first president; fought for real – not behind a desk
Andrew Johnson – a democrat but was Lincoln’s vice president; as president he fought with congress and almost got impeached
Lincoln – freed all the slaves; was shot
Theodore Roosevelt – conservation president; lots of national parks; wouldn’t ride in a car
Franklin Roosevelt – had polio and in a wheelchair
Kennedy – shot in the head in Texas; named a NASA place after him
L. Johnson - Vietnam war; started a lot of programs we have to pay for
Reagan – mom’s favorite president; help end the cold war
Trump – has a big mouth but is good for the making money
20230122_182115~2.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A Childs Understanding

Post by Old Folder »

Excellent David. ::tu::

Better answers than most current California college students can answer. ::facepalm::

(Nice wood Pyrography David) How many types of wood burning tools do you use?

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

David, surely your grandchildren are being home schooled. I can't believe that degree of knowledge is the result of public education.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

David, surely your grandchildren are being home schooled. I can't believe that degree of knowledge is the result of public education.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Old Folder wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:54 am (Nice wood Pyrography David) How many types of wood burning tools do you use?
Thank you Dan, there is a lot more over on the woodburning thread and my website. I have a small burner that you can get at more hobby stores and I have a duel cord burner with temp control and about 24 different wire tips. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 2&sr=posts
Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:09 am David, surely your grandchildren are being home schooled. I can't believe that degree of knowledge is the result of public education.
You're correct Garry, all of my grandkids have been home schooled and they were all a part of local co-ops where the home-schooled kids would get together in small groups once or twice a week for classes. That and church gave them the social interaction with other kids. They may have been coached on a couple of those answers but my granddaughter had to do a report on Teddy Roosevelt so she like his picture.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

With or without coaching there are many college students who would be unable to identify let alone comment on the Presidents. You have probably encountered some of those interviews where college students look stricken when asked the most basic questions.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:28 pm With or without coaching there are many college students who would be unable to identify let alone comment on the Presidents. You have probably encountered some of those interviews where college students look stricken when asked the most basic questions.
I always loved watching The Tonight Show when Jay Leno would do that in LA. I always wondered how some of them even got into college let alone get a high school diploma.

Return to “Mostly True Stories”