Hugh Glass act 2

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
3030remchesterCOLO

Hugh Glass act 2

Post by 3030remchesterCOLO »

Many may know the story of the grizzly mauled mountain man from either lore or the movie the Revenant. The movie at the beginning was close to real though his son doesn't exit. However, after his rescue the movie went so far off tract that the producers should be horse whipped. A fascinating man with many death deifying moments in his life. I will for those that don't know, tell of one of his near death experiences. Very soon after his recovery from his wounds and 200-mile trek, he once again went into the wilds in a canoe with several other mountain men. As the canoe rounded a corner in the river, they landed smack dad in the heart of an Aricaree camp. In a short time, all the mountain men were dead except Hugh who was trying to hide on the opposite bank. The Natives saw him and a foot race was on that Hugh was losing. Just as all seemed lost, 2 mounted Souix, IIRC, sworn enemies of the Ree's, picked Hugh up and out distanced the Natives on foot, rescuing him from their enemy's grasp. As soon as they were far enough away, they dropped Hugh and rode away. Now once again he was unarmed in the wilderness, 200 miles from like-minded people. Hugh stated that this time he was " sittin purdy" as he still had his knife and fire makins. Hugh escaped death several other times before fate caught up with him, but I recalled this episode as it had a vague knife theme.
FRJ

Re: Hugh Glass act 2

Post by FRJ »

I have read, some time ago, about the incident you first mentioned when he was mauled by a grizzly. I believe he was with two men; a man named Makenzie? (sp) and a young Jim Bridger. Apparently they thought he was going to die before too long and they left him and took his belongings.
An amazing person but many men who lived in the mountains as they did were there to survive as well as the North American Indians who carved their lives into the north.
I would never trust a trashy production from the movie industry.
Joe
3030remchesterCOLO

Post by 3030remchesterCOLO »

A very young Jim Bridger and an older man named Fitzgerald. He vowed to hunt them down and kill them. Encountering Bridger and taking his age into count, he forgave him but went hunting for Fitzgerald and once again escaped death trying to catch up to him. Fitzgerald knowing, he was a hunted man, quickly joined the US army and when Hugh caught him, he could not take his revenge against a US soldier. Fitzgerald possessed Hughs rifle he had named "Bull thrower" and was able to reclaim only it and had to leave unfulfilled.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you for the name correction.
He must have been mighty grateful to get his rifle back. That must have meant a lot.
Joe
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

The way I heard of the Hugh Glass saga was back in the 1980's
Read a book about it called "Lord Grizzly"

Stag
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have read that Jim Bridger was born in Richmond. Must have been some bad family issues to make him get into the Western fur trade at a young age? I need to read up on this. The Revenant was an awesome movie, allowed Lenny D. to finally get his due credit.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Mostly True Stories”