Another Vietnam knife story

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
3030remchesterCOLO

Another Vietnam knife story

Post by 3030remchesterCOLO »

I collect US military knives as well as pocketknives. Pristine examples are great finds but knives with honest wear as just cool. Haunting a gun show I spied a Vietnam era JPK. Lots of wear on knife and sheath both. Price was reasonable and the man selling said he was the original owner and was his knife in country. He said it drew blood 4 times and if I bought it, he would tell the stories. Couldn't resist and the knife was mine and couldn't wait for the vet to tell his story. He drew it out and my imagination ran amuck. How many vets actually drew blood with their blade let alone 4 times. Asking what part of the country he served in, he said in the rear only. ???? How did you draw blood 4 times I asked. He said he was a mechanic and used it to scrape gaskets. Said he cut himself 4 times with the knife while scraping. I laughed all the way home and wrote the story down and stored it with the knife. Fast forward a few years and the son of my best friend had just returned from Afghanistan with 4 bullet holes and a brain injury. He and his dad came for a visit and the knife collection was shown. He was fascinated with all my military knife. I told him to pick the knife of his choice. I have some high dollar blades. Of course, the one he wanted more than any was the above-mentioned knife. It now sleeps in his bedside table.
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Another Vietnam knife story

Post by centennialknives »

That is a great story! Loved it.
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
robpa

Re: Another Vietnam knife story

Post by robpa »

One more Vietnam knife story.
I was in a convoy driving my howitzer to get the 175 mm tube exchanged for an 8 inch tube. about 40-50 vehicles in the convoy, couple tanks, fuel tankers trucks, etc. The convoy was halted when the lead was attacked by rockets and small arms fire. I was at the tail of the convoy and dismounted and hit the bank along the road. I got hungry, there was no fight on our end yet and I was hungry so decided to shuck a coconut. Took my Bowie type knife and began trying to get into that nut, the knife slipped and penetrated my left hand between the trigger and middle fingers, the point was sticking out the back of the hand. Dam, that hurt. so I yanked it out and wrapped a handkerchief around but the blood was coming pretty good. I chucked the fricken nut. pretty soon the battle came our way and the fight was on so the hurt was gone. A medic came running by to see if anyone was hurt and my 50 cal guy said I was bleeding so he took a quick look, handed me a bunch of darvons and took off. Somebody put me in for a purple Heart for that! I ended that soon as I heard of it. I swigged em all down with a hot ballantine ale, I couldnt drink cold beer for 6 months after getting outa there.. luckily the damage was to the left and my trigger finger was put to use. Ironiicly, I have what is called trigger finger in my left trigger finger now but I can use it pretty good, lost right eye so now shoot lefty. I gave that Bowie to a guy when I left, along with an beat up AK I took of a gook in that fight. Wish I still had the both of em. I did come by a couple handmade machete type sorta knives made by the mountain yards but sold em for next to nothing when I need some bucks one time, dirt cheap too.

Return to “Mostly True Stories”