Outdoor Gun Cleaning & the Surprise Visitor

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
wizrd

Outdoor Gun Cleaning & the Surprise Visitor

Post by wizrd »

I live in a rural area, nearest neighbors on either side of me are 150 or 200 yards away, nothing across the road but open meadows & woods. One day, I'm cleaning several handguns and a couple rifles, outside on a picnic table in the front yard. I then remembered a double-barrel 12 ga. sxs I just took to the range the night before to shoot some trap for the heck of it. Picked up the gun a week ago & hadn't shot it until then.

I RUN, inside to get the shotgun. (Not wanting to leave several firearms out on a picnic table alone for more than a few seconds.) I grab the shotgun and go running out the front door, and throw the door open and leap off of the porch steps, shotgun at the ready.

At that particular moment, a new neighbor from down the road, not yet introduced, just moving in, chose to pull into my driveway just to turn around. Exactly as I leaped off the porch brandishing the shotgun. This was followed by much spraying of gravel as he threw his van in reverse, tires screeching as he hit the pavement, backing into the road and took off in a cloud of burning rubber smoke & tire squealing the likes of which I hadn't seen since Don Garlits was driving double AA fuel dragsters. I can still see his eyes as big as pieplates and mouth open in amazement.

I didn't approach him about the incident for a several days days, when I finally did take a wallk over & introduce myself & explain the imcident, he kind of regarded me a little on the cool side, like when you meet a stray pit-bull on your property. in time, though, he came to regard me as an OK guy. True story.
gino

Re: Outdoor Gun Cleaning & the Surprise Visitor

Post by gino »

LOL, thats a great story. I bet he wet his pants LOL
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

What a way to make a first impression! :shock:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Luckily, he wasn't armed and defensively trained.

Still a funny story.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

You sure have me laughing, great story.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I bet he won't be roaming around your property after dark!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

Nobody roams around my property after dark. And I do mean NOBODY. When I first moved out here, in 1988, I had a Rottweiler. Every night, the very last thing I did, usually after midnight, was to take my dog out to do his call of nature things in the fields across the road.
He would be roaming around, and I would be out there staring up at the sky, enjoying the evening stars. Although I live on a dead end road, enough neighbors would see me out there looking up at the sky in the middle of the night, AND NOT NOTICING MY DOG, BEAR. I very quickly became notorious locally as 'that crazy man out there looking up in the sky all night'.

I really think sometimes it's beneficial to have your neighbors think your a little bit crazy. ;)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

wizrd wrote:I really think sometimes it's beneficial to have your neighbors think your a little bit crazy. ;)
I think you're right. ::nod::
I live at one end of a double ended cul-de-sac. One of my neighbors is also a Vietnam veteran.
We're known as the to crazy veterans of the neighborhood. Our cul-de-sac is pretty quiet and we like it that way. :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

gino

Post by gino »

wizrd wrote:Nobody roams around my property after dark. And I do mean NOBODY. When I first moved out here, in 1988, I had a Rottweiler. Every night, the very last thing I did, usually after midnight, was to take my dog out to do his call of nature things in the fields across the road.
He would be roaming around, and I would be out there staring up at the sky, enjoying the evening stars. Although I live on a dead end road, enough neighbors would see me out there looking up at the sky in the middle of the night, AND NOT NOTICING MY DOG, BEAR. I very quickly became notorious locally as 'that crazy man out there looking up in the sky all night'.

I really think sometimes it's beneficial to have your neighbors think your a little bit crazy. ;)
Wiz, I do the same with my pup just about every night. He is just turned 10 mos old but he sure scares the heck out of the deer, LOL.
Attachments
DSCN1499.JPG
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

Beautiful Dobie you got there Gino. That shiny coat reminds me of my Rotties.
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

Now wiz, that was funny.
"Sometimes the best part of a knife was the hunt",PK
" Fēng xiàng zhuàn biàn shí, yǒu rén zhú qiáng, yǒu rén zào fēng chē!"
"When the wind of change blows some build walls while others build windmills!"
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Classic!...I thought that kind stuff only happened to me ::nod::
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

I really enjoyed your story. It would be funny to hear him telling his family about his encounter with his crazy neighbor. :lol: Mark.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Great story, and I bet it grew in the telling when your neighbor told it!
Mel
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Boy Gino, your Dobie is one fine looking dog!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Mostly True Stories”