'Nother Dog story - Bear & the strange intruder...

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
wizrd

'Nother Dog story - Bear & the strange intruder...

Post by wizrd »

My wife & I were in our back yard one day, trimming some shrubs & doing some yard work.
Our Rottie, Bear, was in the house, unusual for him, he's usually right beside us. After about an hour & a half work, we headed into the house. In the driveway was a car, with out of state plates on it. Recognizing the plates as from where my wife's brother Gordy lived, we came around the front of the house -- No Gordy to be found. H'mmm?! Wonder where Gordy is. He had never met my Rottie before. On our enclosed porch, Gordy was there, standing at attention. ( Gordy had, at that time, spent about 16 years in the military, in an elite unit, & his deployments had mostly been a mystery to us. There were times when we didn't hear from him for two or three years at a time.)

There Gordy stood, a little nervous looking, standing at attention of my front porch. My dog sitting guard in front of him, with a low growl coming form his throat. Gordy asking, "is this dog going to eat me?" I looked at Bear and said, "It's all right Bear, he's a friend."
After hearing this, my dog just got up & walked right over to Gordy, nudging him a little with his massive head, looking up as if to say, 'pet me now, it's OK, we're friends.' I asked Gordy, "He didn't bite you, did he?" Gordy said, no -- he just met me at the door, and stopped me, sitting in front of me & growled,-- then I tried to turn & leave, and he wouldn't let me leave, he got between me & the door & just stood & growled." Gordy said this went back & forth about four or five times before he figured he had just better stand there & wait. Bear wouldn't let him into the house & he wouldn't let him leave.
Gordy said he had been standing there about 45 minutes, wondering after all his missions, if his end was going to come being eaten by a Rottweiler in NY state. Bear & Gordy were fast friends forever after this incident. Bear was never trained to do this stuff, just instinct I guess. Bear never hurt another living creature in his time on earth. I still miss that dog.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 'Nother Dog story - Bear & the strange intruder...

Post by orvet »

Great story wizard! ::tu::
I think some dogs just have the instincts to do certain things. They are amazing critters.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Mostly True Stories”