Vietnam Vets - Welcome Home

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
wizrd

Vietnam Vets - Welcome Home

Post by wizrd »

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam war. I gotta share this with you.

I was at a pro-firearms rally in Albany NY on Feb. 28. People were there protesting Gov. Cuomo's new
"SAFE ACT", anti-gun, anti-shooter, anti-sportsman legislation. After a few hours, I looked for a place to sit down, take a little break, and a fellow sits down next to me. We talked about a lot of things, growing up with guns, shooting, hunting, life in general and the long, downhill slide our Republic seems to be in. I asked him if he came down alone today, and he told me no, a good friend came with him, although his friend really didn't want to, but he insisted he come. He said his friend was a Vietnam vet, who had seen a lot of action on his tour, taken a couple bullets and some schrapnel and in general his buddy felt that this country was going downhill fast -- he had no use for the politicians that let this happen. After a few minutes talking, his friend came up and sat down. We had a nice long conversation along the same lines. It was easy to see that this fellow was made out of all the right stuff.

When I finally got up to leave, I got up and shook their hands, 'nice to meet you & talk with you, etc. As I shook this Veteran's hand, I told him, -- 'Your friend said you were a Vietnam Vet, I thank you for your service to our great country, -- I said, ' I'm not a religious man, but every day, I take the time to thank God that men like you have lived, - Welcome home, Brother.' -- and with that
remark, he kind of let out a little throaty gasp and reached out to hug me as I was shaking his hand,
I looked at him, a little surprised -- I could swear there was a little tear in his eye, - I knew there was in mine, -- and he said - 'nobody ever told me, 'Welcome home', before.

To all you Vietnam Vets out there, this is your hug, AND WELCOME HOME!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Vietnam Vets - Welcome Home

Post by treefarmer »

That goes to show us it's never too late! Good story, wizrd. Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Well done.
ken6

Post by ken6 »

Well said, and thank you very much - it was my honor to serve my country in Vietnam as a Marine.

And yes, I am glad to be home, and glad many made it home. But my heart aches for those who did not.

May God be with us all.
Ken Spielvogel - The "Accumulator" of knives- "The Talking Knives"

Return to “Mostly True Stories”