My Dad

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Mr Rick

Re: My Dad

Post by Mr Rick »

Thanks Mike,

The picture was from the B-29 that is part of the collection at Hill AFB museum in Utah. At the time it was under restoration and Dad was invited to try out his old position. I got to go along. It's hard to imagine spending 17 hours inside that long aluminum tube.

Rick

Always looking for custom knives made in Montana.

AAPK #9213.............and proud of it.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thank you Joe. I've been thinking of him a lot lately and posted this as a tribute for his 90th birthday.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great story Mike, thanks for posting! ::tu::

-John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Awesome story Mike!
Thanks for sharing! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

What a great story, just great!! Like Murph, I ended up teary eyed.
These men were truly the Greatest Generation.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......mike, this topic has got me thinking about my uncle, who would have been 90 also this year. he was a marine gunnery officer on the uss Washington(only u. s. battleship to sink another battleship-ijn kirishima-one on one-nov. 1942-guadalcanal),wish I had spent more time with him before he died and written down what he told me, we owe a great deal to "the greatest generation"!!!.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ......................
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thank you guys! I'm glad my Dad enjoyed talking about his service and documented his missions.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

Mike
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Here's one for you Tommy: When my Dad's crew was training they were in B-17s, there weren't any B-29s available yet. The 17 gave them 4 engine experience and it was after all a Boeing. :D They had to practice long distance flights and flights over water, so they'd pick out where they wanted to go and they'd fly around the country. They'd cross the Gulf of Mexico to give them the feel of flying over water and give them navigation practice.

My Dad said it was one of the greatest times of his life, 20 years old and flying around in a B-17 with his buddies. He said they'd take turns sitting in the co pilot's seat and he remembers sitting there eating Hershey bars and watching the scenery.

Here's a photo of a fire bombing mission. He said the thermals from the intense fires would throw the plane all over and even flip it over.
Attachments
Fire Bombing.jpg

Mike
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......mike, keep this stuff coming!!!........I love it!!!........do you know if that picture has ever been published??...........I would swear I've seen it in a book somewhere, if not it, it's one very similar!!..........I just found a picture of the Washington on the internet I've never seen anywhere before ,taken from a dauntless from the enterprise,showing the Washington steaming at speed, big bow wake, all the guns pointed skyward,with the enterprise in the background, and another dauntless overhead, you can actually see people up on the mainmast, which is where my uncle would have been, as gun director for the starboard 5" gun mounts.............
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Tommy, here's some photos of bomb strikes. These photos are all originals that my Dad brought home with him. The one of his ship passing Mt. Fuji is a print I got from the Air Force History Office.

I have a couple of mementos off of B-29s that were wrecked, I'll take photos outside and post them.
Attachments
Hitachi Engine Factory 2.jpg
Tomitaka Airfield.jpg
Kyushu.jpg
Z 2 on hardstand.jpg
Z2 Fuji.jpg

Mike
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........great pictures, mike, thanks for sharing them!!!!.................... ::tu:: ..............
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Here's a photo of the control yoke hub cover from the B-29 shown in the crash on my other post about my Dad. The co pilot Bill Lewis went back the next day and got it from the wreck. He gave it to me about 10 years ago.
Attachments
B-29.jpg

Mike
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

vikingdog wrote:Here's a photo of the control yoke hub cover from the B-29 shown in the crash on my other post about my Dad.
Wow! that is 8) 8)
AAPK Janitor
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thanks Dimitri. ::tu::

Mike
WoodenChicken

Post by WoodenChicken »

Wow, just WOW! I feel compelled to resurrect this thread which gave me chills, tears and smiles of joy remembering my own Dad. First of all, to the men who posted these stories, God Bless America, your hero fathers, and all the men and women who served in that war. My Dad was in WW2 but stationed in Iceland (a long way from his home in Newark, NJ). BTW how would I get my Dad's service records? Is it possible since he has passed on?

Amazing stories, amazing men. We are truly free because of them.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

WoodenChicken wrote:
Amazing stories, amazing men. We are truly free because of them.
Truly, the greatest generation!!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “Mostly True Stories”