My Dad Part Two

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
vikingdog

My Dad Part Two

Post by vikingdog »

This is my Dad's diary entry for his third mission. He had two catastrophic crash landings in his first 10 missions and still had 25 to go!

Mission #3
Destination aircraft plant in, Tokyo
Pilot - Lt. McNamer ( my own crew)
Ship #7
My position - Radar Operator (used radar For 12 1/2 hours)

McNamer's Crew
Take off - 7:50 a.m.
Over Target - 13:45
Altitude - 30,0000
Flak - heaviest yet
Fighter opposition very heavy, between 50 and 100 fighters. Came in thru our formation and threw lots of 20's. Unestimated number shot down. Target very clear. Forty- minute running fight.

Strength - about 70 B-29's
Losses - 1 B-29 (881st lead ship with Col. King and Major Goldsworthy)
Returned to Base - 10:30 (Overdue, no gas left, crash landing)
Total time - 14 hours - 45 minutes

Comments - right before hitting target we got a hit that lowered our landing gears, everybody thought we were going to bail out. About 50 fighters took turns on us as we dropped behind the formation. The last they saw of us (our formation), we were still over target with gears down.

Major Goldsworthy's plane was then hit, and most of the fighters took after him. It went down with two engines blazing and was later reported as crashing in Tokyo and burning, no one getting out. We lost our squad leader and our Group Commander (Two Cols. on ship- Bruggie and Schroeder). S/ Sgt Welles was Radar operator. We tried to salvo our bombs and couldn't. The landing gears came back up and the doors stayed open.

Fighters clung to us and sent 20's thru our tail, making huge holes and knocking out the tail guns. Another tore a huge hole in the side of the fuselage, back of the Radar compartment, and shot up a lot of control cables. One also nipped off part of the rudder. We finally got our bombs off, the gunners still blazing at fighters as we were far behind the formation, Mac, pouring on all the coal we had, pulled away from the fighters and we headed home. Due to many things, we were very low on the petrol and ditching in the Pacific was predicted. We prepared for, it by throwing out everything that was loose, then sat back to sweat. By some miracle we landed a bearing on Saipan, radar being out, Engineer saying, "Not enough gas". We finally reached the runway, using the B-24 strip as the pilot expected a crash landing, due to our landing gears gone whacky. We did! Right in on the nose, the nose gears coming up thru, and the doors still stuck.

Pictures were taken, and no one was badly hurt. Number 7 was dragged off the runway and as yet (1944), it's status is unknown. Practically everything gone on it, and the props look like pretzels. To the fast accumulating B-29 graveyard, I guess. The 881st has now lost 4 out of 10. Mac was congratulated by our CO on his crash landing. He's tops for a pilot and we'll ride with him anywhere. (Maybe)

PS Those double shots hit the spot exceedingly well for some reason tonight.

Comment - Col. King and Maj Goldsworthy survived and spent the duration of the war as prisoners of war in Tokyo.

Here are some comments on the December 3, 1944 Mission by Bill Lewis, Copilot that he wrote for me several years ago.

"A lot of things happen in the cockpit that are unknown to the rest of the crew in the back compartment. We had quite a discussion about staying at 12,000 feet until the engines quit then make a dead stick landing in the water if that was the case. As you know now we kept flying even after the engineer said we were flying on vapor and landed with only the gear problem."Mac" made a normal landing and lowered the nose wheel and it folded back under the belly.

Also about that mission I remember an airplane (Japanese fighter) that looked like it was going to ram us - explode in front of our left engines and half of the plane went over the wing and half under... "
Attachments
My Dad is in mid stride directly behind the fire extinguisher on far right.
My Dad is in mid stride directly behind the fire extinguisher on far right.
crash1.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
dad-h.jpg
dad-h.jpg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
news-clip.jpg
881st squadron patch from my Dad's A 2 flying jacket.
881st squadron patch from my Dad's A 2 flying jacket.
881st patch.jpg (5.39 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
FRJ

Re: My Dad Part Two

Post by FRJ »

Another great story, Mike.
Very interesting reading. It's hard to imagine what those desperate hours were like.
Thank you.
Joe
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thanks for reading it Joe. My Dad would be happy to know the story is still being told.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

Mike
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

There was no shortage of fearful jobs to be done in WWII, but I've long felt about the worst was to be on a bomber crew. Bombers couldn't duck and weave like fighters. The had to hold formation and if they fell out the sharks gathered for the kill. Terrible casualty rates, not only from the enemy but from the B-29s themselves. God bless your dad and all those who endured so much.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Enjoyed Part 2 as well, thanks again, Mike. ::tu::

-John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Awesome story Mike.
Now I will read the first part, somehow I missed it.

I recently read a book about a bombardier on a B29.
That was a scary aircraft! :shock:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......another great story,mike, thanks so much for sharing this!!!............ ::tu:: ..........
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thank you guys. ::tu::

Mike

Return to “Mostly True Stories”