another fishing outing

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
dobro59

another fishing outing

Post by dobro59 »

If you have read my previous story this one took place about 3 years later. We still had that homemade wooden jon boat,but dad had upgraded cars.We still tied it on top of the car, but it was a 59 pontiac starchief. The old chevy had a 283 but the pontiac had 389 and would move. We went to the same watershed lake, started fishing and couldn't catch a thing the first day. Well the next day a front moved in, dad called it a blue northern, and the temperature dropped about 15 degrees. I don't know why but after that we couldn't catch 'em fast enough,it didn't matter what kind of lure or bait you used you caught fish every cast. Of course we had that trotline set that night,we ran it every 2 hours. Caught all kinds of catfish,blue,channel,flathead. Well, call it what you like we where ill prepared,and really didn't care cause we were fishing to eat. We didn't have any way to weigh anything but dad had a tape measure,being a carpenter and all. The last time we ran the trotline that morning we had the biggest bass i have or ever since seen. Bass don't usually get on a trotline, but i guess this one was perch hungry. Anyway that bass was 28 and 1/2 inches long, i was 14 and i stuck my arm down his mouth up to my elbow. We never did weigh it, just cleaned it and ate it. By golly them fish just kept a biting and we wound up with 2,48 quart ice chest full of nothing but fillets. Sure would like to go fishing with dad again.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: another fishing outing

Post by philco »

I caught bass in a feeding frenzy like what you described once. My brother and I were fishing together. They were biting so fast that we eventually put one pole away and he'd cast and I'd remove the fish when he reeled it back in. He'd cast and another one would be on the line within seconds of the lure hitting the water. I've never seen anything like before or since.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: another fishing outing

Post by carrmillus »

dobro59 wrote:If you have read my previous story this one took place about 3 years later. We still had that homemade wooden jon boat,but dad had upgraded cars.We still tied it on top of the car, but it was a 59 pontiac starchief. The old chevy had a 283 but the pontiac had 389 and would move. We went to the same watershed lake, started fishing and couldn't catch a thing the first day. Well the next day a front moved in, dad called it a blue northern, and the temperature dropped about 15 degrees. I don't know why but after that we couldn't catch 'em fast enough,it didn't matter what kind of lure or bait you used you caught fish every cast. Of course we had that trotline set that night,we ran it every 2 hours. Caught all kinds of catfish,blue,channel,flathead. Well, call it what you like we where ill prepared,and really didn't care cause we were fishing to eat. We didn't have any way to weigh anything but dad had a tape measure,being a carpenter and all. The last time we ran the trotline that morning we had the biggest bass i have or ever since seen. Bass don't usually get on a trotline, but i guess this one was perch hungry. Anyway that bass was 28 and 1/2 inches long, i was 14 and i stuck my arm down his mouth up to my elbow. We never did weigh it, just cleaned it and ate it. By golly them fish just kept a biting and we wound up with 2,48 quart ice chest full of nothing but fillets. Sure would like to go fishing with dad again.
.......holy mackerel, andy!!!!.....the world record 22 1/4 lb. bass caught by George perry in 1932 in ga. was 32 1/2" long and 28 1/2" girth!!.....it's a shame you didn't weigh it!!!...................

Return to “Mostly True Stories”