Fort Sill, OK and the Boy Scouts

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Fort Sill, OK and the Boy Scouts

Post by Mumbleypeg »

When I was an adult Boy Scout leader one of the most popular activities among our boys was visiting various military installations. About every three years we arranged a week-end trip to Fort Sill, OK which is home of the Army and Marine Corps Artillary schools, and historic Apache and Comanche cemeteries (grave sites of Geronimo and Quanah Parker). All great stuff for boys. ::tu:: The army always treated us like royalty, with a Staff Sergeant assigned as host and guide during our visit.

On one of these trips, when we arrived Friday night our sergeant told us the highest ranking Colonel on the post was going to meet us Saturday afternoon to give us a personal guided tour of the National Artillary Museum. It seems the Colonel was an Eagle Scout and a high ranking leader in the BSA in Oklahoma and was excited about our being there.

The next morning while showing the boys the soldier's barracks, soldiers practicing timed drills on field stripping and cleaning machine guns, practicing firing mortars and other activities, the sergeant was very concerned that we stay on schedule. He did not want to be late meeting the Colonel at the museum at 1:00 PM for our tour! After lunch in the "transient mess hall" we walked to the museum. Of course we were all, boys and adult leaders, dressed in full Boy Scout uniforms.

As it neared 1 PM the Sergeant asked the adult scout leaders to wait outside the museum to meet the Colonel, while he took the scouts into the museum auditorium for a short film about the fort and the museum. We soon spotted the Colonel walking toward us. A tall lean man dressed in full Boy Scout uniform including shorts with knee high socks, and a "Smokey Bear" campaign hat.

We greeted him and introduced ourselves. About that time one of the several soldiers lounging on the nearby steps said sarcastically "Aw, don't they look cute. I bet they wish they was real soldiers!" The other soldiers laughed.

Although we all clearly heard this, the Colonel gave no indication. We all ignored them but as we turned to go into the museum the Colonel told us to go on in, that he had something he needed to take care of before he joined us. As we went through the museum doors we heard the Colonel say "Soldier, where is your First Sergeant?"

We went into the auditorium where the film was ending, and the Colonel joined us a few minutes later. He gave us a fantastic tour, explaining the history of all the various artillary pieces on display, from a mule-mounted cannon to the "Atomic Annie". (He said the mule-mounted cannon was a failure. "After it was fired it took about an hour to catch the mule.") :lol:

The tour lasted about 2 hours. As we left the museum and were walking across the parking lot we saw a large group of soldiers dressed in BDUs with full packs, standing at attention. They were all thoroughly soaked with sweat. Their sergeant was yelling "I have to be at the colonel's office at oh-eight-hundred Monday morning, and believe me, you will pay for my visit! And you will learn to recognize the colonel, I don't care what he is wearing!"

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Pablo

Re: Fort Sill, OK

Post by Pablo »

HA! HA! HA! YEEEEOUCH! He messed up not recognizing the Colonel... but no matter what... you never... never... ever piss off "Top" (1st Sgt.). Great story Ken. Brings back some memories. Thanks so much for sharing.
Be a radical... use common sense.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Cool story, Ken.

Just goes to show you never know how good someone's hearing might be and what the results opening your mouth might get you.

Maybe this should be a "Good BSA Bull" thread, rather than just a Ft Sill thread. ???
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Was never in the Boy Scouts or the military but love Ft Sill. Been to Quanah Parkers grave and out to Cashe to his old house. Great place to visit and all the artillery as well. We went up on Mt Scott and watched the artillery round hitting on the range. Great place to visit.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Just goes to show you never know how good someone's hearing might be and what the results opening your mouth might get you.
The funny thing is, he purposefully said it loud enough for us to hear. That was his point - that and showing off for his buddies. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Some people just aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer, are they?? ::smirk::
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fort Sill, OK and the Boy Scouts

Post by btrwtr »

Great story Ken.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Great story . ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks for sharing that story Ken!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

377.jpeg
::tu:: That's what I told my grandson in ROTC, never, but never, pissoff a Top Sargent. He has a retired E-9 for a ROTC instructor.
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: (He said the mule-mounted cannon was a failure. "After it was fired it took about an hour to catch the mule.") :lol:

Ken
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

Totally unexpected. I laughed so hard I just about choked on my banana.

A good 1st Sgt. No better friend. No worse enemy.

I joined the Boy Scouts in 7th grade and then we moved. Again.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: Jerry.... what's the difference between the Boy Scouts and the Marines...... the Boy Scouts don't have heavy artillery! ::poke::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

Okay Ferg. What's the difference between the Girl Scouts and the Navy. ............ The Navy doesn't sell cookies. ::poke::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You boys behave, before the colonel sicks the 1st Sgt. on you!

Just for you Jerry. Here's a picture I found on line from the Field Artillery Museum. The saddle with cannon, and the mule.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Doesn't it make you wonder whose brilliant idea that was?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks for sharing that Ken, in my mind I visualized a more significant cannon. I'm sure PETA would be all over this if it were suggested today ::paranoid::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

bestgear wrote:Thanks for sharing that Ken, in my mind I visualized a more significant cannon. I'm sure PETA would be all over this if it were suggested today ::paranoid::
I suspect the mule thought it was pretty significant! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

My father used to have a saying "Don't worry about the mule going blind, just keep loading the wagon" which basically meant "Just Keep Working".
Tom
AAPK Administrator

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

: ::ds:: Good comeback Jerry! Did you hear about the 19 year old girl who borrowed her 14 year old sisters girl scout uniform and went to a Navy ship and sold 5000 boxes of cookies!... this aint no s...! ftd
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sounds like a sea story to me but on the other hand, it wouldn't shock me if it were true.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Mostly True Stories”