The 'stories' section

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Winnipeg Gentleman

The 'stories' section

Post by Winnipeg Gentleman » Wed May 09, 2018 8:21 am

Greetings.

I have a question about this section for stories that I'm hoping one of the site's administrators will answer:

I know that in all other sections, one is not supposed to use adult/harsh language in the posts, but does that rule also apply to the section here for writing stories?

I'm a retired writer and I'd like to write some little short stories here to entertain the users of the site. The stories will always have a knife-related theme to them, but they would also be adult-oriented, what with adult situations and yes, some adult-styled language in them, as well.

If I always first post a little warning at the beginning of the stories, would it be alright for me to write them here using adult language and themes?

Winnipeg Gentleman

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The 'stories' section

Post by philco » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 am

If your intention is to write stories with an adult theme using adult language there's a separate forum for that type of posts. It does not show up on the standard listing of the various forums and you will need to contact the site owner, Bryan, in order to gain access to that site. We always try to keep in mind that this is a family friendly website and we therefore do our best to keep the content posted here suitable for children as well as adults.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Please visit my AAPK store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/philco

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden » Wed May 09, 2018 11:26 am

philco wrote:If your intention is to write stories with an adult theme using adult language there's a separate forum for that type of posts. It does not show up on the standard listing of the various forums and you will need to contact the site owner, Bryan, in order to gain access to that site. We always try to keep in mind that this is a family friendly website and we therefore do our best to keep the content posted here suitable for children as well as adults.
Thank you Phil.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden » Wed May 09, 2018 11:28 am

Winnipeg Gentleman wrote:Greetings.

I have a question about this section for stories that I'm hoping one of the site's administrators will answer:

I know that in all other sections, one is not supposed to use adult/harsh language in the posts, but does that rule also apply to the section here for writing stories?

I'm a retired writer and I'd like to write some little short stories here to entertain the users of the site. The stories will always have a knife-related theme to them, but they would also be adult-oriented, what with adult situations and yes, some adult-styled language in them, as well.

If I always first post a little warning at the beginning of the stories, would it be alright for me to write them here using adult language and themes?

Winnipeg Gentleman
And thank you WG for asking before just throwing it out there.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:58 pm

there's a separate forum for that type of posts.

:shock: What?!...Wait...there's a shadow forum?! ::paranoid::

Does RM's special council know about this?!

WB :D

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco » Wed May 09, 2018 1:02 pm

whitebuffalo58 wrote:
there's a separate forum for that type of posts.

:shock: What?!...Wait...there's a shadow forum?! ::paranoid::

Does RM's special council know about this?!

WB :D

Rob we keep it on the down low, so much so that I don't even have access to it. (by choice) :mrgreen: Bryan is the keeper of that key.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Please visit my AAPK store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/philco

whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:10 pm

That don't sound like the key to the Magic Kingdom to me either Phil.

WB

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by FRJ » Wed May 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Thank you, Bryan, for keeping the flies out of the kitchen.
Joe

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer » Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Well said, Joe! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg » Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Although a site administrator has answered your question, if I may I'll share a comment as a forum member. The key thing about the "Mostly True Stories" posts is that the stories are "mostly true". To me this means the stories aren't purely fiction, they are based on an actual event. The teller of the story may embellish them a little for entertainment value but the underlying story is true. I think of them as being akin to the stories old-timers told while sitting around at the general store.

I have found there are very few stories, whether true or fictional that cannot be told without use of "adult" language. My mother used to say the use of profanity is a sign of limited vocabulary. :lol: If I wanted stories with adult themes I wouldn't come to a pocket knife forum to find one. Being a retired writer, perhaps you know of other venues where you could share such stories.

Or maybe we could have a thread for fiction stories here, and you could consider challenging your writing skills to create stories without adult language and adult themes to share here, appropriate for AAPK's broader audience that includes people of all ages. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

Winnipeg Gentleman

Post by Winnipeg Gentleman » Wed May 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Greetings all.

Well, there you go, that's exactly why I asked first, heheh.

When I asked that question, my intention was just to entertain the users here who enjoy reading little stories from time to time. Since this is a knife site, naturally all the stories would have a knife component to them, but no, I do not write children's stories, I do tend to write adult-themed dramas.

I won't write any stories for this section, then, that's fine. Since I'm brand new here, I do not even know who Bryan is or how to get in touch with him, so I suppose I'll say this:

Bryan, if you would like a retired writer to contribute some interesting little knife-themed stories on your mysterious shadow site, then just let me know.

Thanks to all who responded to my question,

Winnipeg Gentleman

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by tongueriver » Wed May 09, 2018 5:07 pm

I have never considered 'adult language' sinful or unethical, but I do consider it to be coarse, and a marker of low breeding, low consideration of other folks' sensibilities, and, if nothing else, a lack of desire to accumulate and use a palette of lovely vocabulary from our great English language. I have never known a time when it added to understanding or was necessary to make a point. There are times, however, when it can be briefly appropriate, often involving the use of a hammer or axe. :shock:

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Winnipeg Gentleman wrote: I do not even know who Bryan is or how to get in touch with him,
Winnipeg Gentleman
Bryan is the owner and chief administrator of AAPK. He can be contacted via PM (Private Message). His screen name is "Bryan" as well as his real name.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

rea1eye

Post by rea1eye » Thu May 10, 2018 12:29 am

All,

Thanks for steering the writer to a forum that has readers and authors for a venue he has interest.

Bob

espn77
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by espn77 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:41 am

Felt like this topic could use a picture of a knife.
Just trying to help!!!!!
Attachments
20170826_202853.jpg

Return to “Mostly True Stories”