The 'stories' section

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Winnipeg Gentleman

The 'stories' section

Post by Winnipeg Gentleman »

Greetings.

I have a question about this section for stories that I'm hoping one of the site's administrators will answer:

I know that in all other sections, one is not supposed to use adult/harsh language in the posts, but does that rule also apply to the section here for writing stories?

I'm a retired writer and I'd like to write some little short stories here to entertain the users of the site. The stories will always have a knife-related theme to them, but they would also be adult-oriented, what with adult situations and yes, some adult-styled language in them, as well.

If I always first post a little warning at the beginning of the stories, would it be alright for me to write them here using adult language and themes?

Winnipeg Gentleman
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The 'stories' section

Post by philco »

If your intention is to write stories with an adult theme using adult language there's a separate forum for that type of posts. It does not show up on the standard listing of the various forums and you will need to contact the site owner, Bryan, in order to gain access to that site. We always try to keep in mind that this is a family friendly website and we therefore do our best to keep the content posted here suitable for children as well as adults.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

philco wrote:If your intention is to write stories with an adult theme using adult language there's a separate forum for that type of posts. It does not show up on the standard listing of the various forums and you will need to contact the site owner, Bryan, in order to gain access to that site. We always try to keep in mind that this is a family friendly website and we therefore do our best to keep the content posted here suitable for children as well as adults.
Thank you Phil.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Winnipeg Gentleman wrote:Greetings.

I have a question about this section for stories that I'm hoping one of the site's administrators will answer:

I know that in all other sections, one is not supposed to use adult/harsh language in the posts, but does that rule also apply to the section here for writing stories?

I'm a retired writer and I'd like to write some little short stories here to entertain the users of the site. The stories will always have a knife-related theme to them, but they would also be adult-oriented, what with adult situations and yes, some adult-styled language in them, as well.

If I always first post a little warning at the beginning of the stories, would it be alright for me to write them here using adult language and themes?

Winnipeg Gentleman
And thank you WG for asking before just throwing it out there.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

there's a separate forum for that type of posts.

:shock: What?!...Wait...there's a shadow forum?! ::paranoid::

Does RM's special council know about this?!

WB :D
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

whitebuffalo58 wrote:
there's a separate forum for that type of posts.

:shock: What?!...Wait...there's a shadow forum?! ::paranoid::

Does RM's special council know about this?!

WB :D

Rob we keep it on the down low, so much so that I don't even have access to it. (by choice) :mrgreen: Bryan is the keeper of that key.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

That don't sound like the key to the Magic Kingdom to me either Phil.

WB
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Bryan, for keeping the flies out of the kitchen.
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Well said, Joe! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Although a site administrator has answered your question, if I may I'll share a comment as a forum member. The key thing about the "Mostly True Stories" posts is that the stories are "mostly true". To me this means the stories aren't purely fiction, they are based on an actual event. The teller of the story may embellish them a little for entertainment value but the underlying story is true. I think of them as being akin to the stories old-timers told while sitting around at the general store.

I have found there are very few stories, whether true or fictional that cannot be told without use of "adult" language. My mother used to say the use of profanity is a sign of limited vocabulary. :lol: If I wanted stories with adult themes I wouldn't come to a pocket knife forum to find one. Being a retired writer, perhaps you know of other venues where you could share such stories.

Or maybe we could have a thread for fiction stories here, and you could consider challenging your writing skills to create stories without adult language and adult themes to share here, appropriate for AAPK's broader audience that includes people of all ages. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Winnipeg Gentleman

Greetings all.

Well, there you go, that's exactly why I asked first, heheh.

When I asked that question, my intention was just to entertain the users here who enjoy reading little stories from time to time. Since this is a knife site, naturally all the stories would have a knife component to them, but no, I do not write children's stories, I do tend to write adult-themed dramas.

I won't write any stories for this section, then, that's fine. Since I'm brand new here, I do not even know who Bryan is or how to get in touch with him, so I suppose I'll say this:

Bryan, if you would like a retired writer to contribute some interesting little knife-themed stories on your mysterious shadow site, then just let me know.

Thanks to all who responded to my question,

Winnipeg Gentleman
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have never considered 'adult language' sinful or unethical, but I do consider it to be coarse, and a marker of low breeding, low consideration of other folks' sensibilities, and, if nothing else, a lack of desire to accumulate and use a palette of lovely vocabulary from our great English language. I have never known a time when it added to understanding or was necessary to make a point. There are times, however, when it can be briefly appropriate, often involving the use of a hammer or axe. :shock:
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Winnipeg Gentleman wrote: I do not even know who Bryan is or how to get in touch with him,
Winnipeg Gentleman
Bryan is the owner and chief administrator of AAPK. He can be contacted via PM (Private Message). His screen name is "Bryan" as well as his real name.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

All,

Thanks for steering the writer to a forum that has readers and authors for a venue he has interest.

Bob
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Felt like this topic could use a picture of a knife.
Just trying to help!!!!!
Attachments
20170826_202853.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Oh man, that's a beauty Keith. ::tu:: .... I've never seen one like that.
Joe
espn77

Post by espn77 »

FRJ wrote:Oh man, that's a beauty Keith. ::tu:: .... I've never seen one like that.
Thanks Joe,
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Well played Keith!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Winnipeg Gentleman

Tongueriver:

You can easily make that argument when it comes to public discussions, or even private conversations. However, when a writer wishes to reflect society in a realistic way and have realistic, believable characters, adult language is often not only desirable, but actually necessary. Real people in real society do not always speak like educated royalty. And if a writer wishes to reflect the criminal element, for example, in a realistic way, then he must have his characters not only act, but also sound, as realistic as possible or else it simply rings false.

An example of the opposite are the old gangster movies of the 30s, the 'You dirty rat!' era. Watch some of those old movies and listen to how the criminals speak, it sounds not only ridiculous, but utterly unrealistic. The writers of that era were heavily bound by the conventions of the time, and that included rampant censorship. No real gangsters of that or any other era truly spoke in those 'dirty rat' ways, but the writers simply could not portray them in a realistic fashion.

If you do not like harsh language for whatever reason, then that's perfectly fine. However, when it comes to writing realistic dramas, adult language and content is not 'low-brow' or an indication of 'poor breeding' at all, it is simply an accurate and realistic reflection of whichever microcosm of society the writer is focusing on at the time.

Lastly, I do not wish to now get into a long discussion about different forms of writing or the merits of adult language in the various genres, this is a knife site after all, so I will not be replying further on this topic.

Jerryd:

Thank you for explaining to me who Bryan is.

Winnipeg Gentleman
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Adults know perfectly well how a gangster might speak, which wouldn't be particularly entertaining.
Folks were looking for entertainment in seeking out those movies. And it was much more enjoyable with the dialog that was used.
The coarse language simply wasn't necessary.
Joe
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

espn77 wrote:Felt like this topic could use a picture of a knife. ......
:lol: :lol: :lol: They just keep popping up all over the place, don't they?
Re bad language, I'm just wondering how Joan of Arc managed to stop the french army from cursing, or maybe back in the 15th century bad language hadn't evolved like it has today. :shock:
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Jerry, it's all too true what you are saying about the state of our society, and it's vulgarity. To me it's just a sad state of our world, and writers of fiction and TV and movie writers not only try to mimic real life, but the try to sensationalize it for ratings and to sell a book. That keeps taking us to lower and lower standards of behavior. We should be examples to our young to be better, nicer, and more decent people instead of constantly telling them that everyone is depraved and that violence and foul coarse talk is normal. It isn't in my family and I hate that my grandkids are being fed that every day from more and more sources like their smart phones, computers and TV. If it were allowed on this knife site, I wouldn't be here.____Dave
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

I just saw this post and it really struck a nerve deep in my soul, especially tongueriver's comment bad language
being a. ..marker of low breeding.. and the topper of em all.....never known a time you needed bad language to make a point....
My wife Pam died this past january, just 10 months ago,, we were together 50 years & 1 month to the day
Christmas eve morning after 2 days of being in a coma and now shaking really bad, she was sent to the ICU....
she had Lupus, Fibromyalgia, and spine issues..she had been seeing the same Rheumatologist for 13 years in Ann Arbor, Mich.
She was on a hefty dose of pain meds which gave her several years to have some what of a normal life..
In ICU the doc that took over her case would not listen to anything I told him...I was trying to play nice using proper english language...
Told him she had not eaten in several days, and they would not give he any pain meds because of a lower blood pressure...
I told him she "needs" her pain meds and some nutrition...he responded: Oh, so you are a doctor huh, I said no, then he said or maybe you
are a nutritonist...I told him 2 times over the years, once at doc's office and once at St Joes in the ER her BP was low, they took away
the severe pain and BP came right back up...he then told me ...I will put a feeding tube down her throat right now and I will make it very
uncomfortable for her to and NO pain meds...I lost it !!! I backed him up against the wall, told him he was fired,, then followed him down the hall
all the while using 100's of profanity laced words...last thing I said was if I catch you in my wife's room I will treat you like someone that
broke into our house and means my wife harm !!! Well security was called, but so was the asst.adm. 2nd in command at the hospital who a week prior
had come up to me by chance as I was standing outside my wife's room crying...she hugged me, was back in 1/2 hour with flowers for Pam,
her name was Shelly, a real sweetheart...when she with a new doc and security arrived, I told her what had transpired..the new doc ordered a small
1 mg morphine push....BP started up..gave 3 mg more and it really started to move..5 minutes later ordered 4 mg more morphine....
All the shakes quit...BP - 122/70..Pam came out of the coma and was 80% alert at least.....
By using profanity to....make a point....it gave me 13 more days with her before she died...9 good days alert and talking, last 4 in a coma...but....
she was given morphine every 4 hours on the hour, last 1 1/2 days an increased dose.
And tho she lived a painfull life, because of my actions, she did not die in pain. Profanity has its place, especially when you are watching the love of your
life since you were 15 years old lay there and die....if you toungeriver want to just use the proper language and let a loved one suffer because you do
not want to use profanity to ..make a point.., that is your choice..I do not choose to live a Mollusk life style !!!

Will
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Will, I am truly sorry for your loss, and can only imagine what it would be like to lose my wife.

Having said that, I think you and Cal both have valid, but different points. I agree with you that there is sometimes a time and place for profanity. Your situation was extreme. But I also agree with Cal as I think his point is that too often profanity is used as casual everyday speech, in the wrong place and time.

My wife and I were recently standing in line at a self-service buffet eatery. The line was long. Two guys, probably in their late 20s, came in and joined the line directly behind us and were talking to each other. Not overly loud but loud enough for us and others around them to easily overhear their profanity-laced conversation. Every fourth or fifth word was f... Or a dirivitave. After about a minute when it was obvious this language was not going to stop, I asked them politely to watch their language due to all the women present. One of them curtly told me I should MYOB, but the other guy quietly told him to cool it, and apologized. Nothing more was said about it, we got our food and sat down to eat, as did they in another part of the establishment. While we were eating a couple approached our table and thanked me for speaking up.

The topic of this thread was started by someone wanting to write stories containing profanity, to be posted here on AAPK. He was advised it would not be appropriate and a different place might be better. I agree. Ths is not the place, but unfortunately there are too many who don't understand the appropriate time or place. ::handshake:: And I will also say as an example, you were able to tell your experience effectively and make your point clearly without using a single one of the words you used when you were telling off that doctor. I clearly understood what happened without your repeating any of those words! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Mostly True Stories”