In the USA...Ya never know !!!

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

In the USA...Ya never know !!!

Post by stagman »

Thought some of ya would like this,, Marines for sure !!!
Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman

Why Did Mr. Rogers Wear A Sweater?

Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin, is buried in a grave alongside 3 and 4-star generals at Arlington National Cemetery. His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and service (USMC). Nothing else.

Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time, why the heck does he rate burial with these guys? Well, following is the amazing answer:

I always liked Lee Marvin, but didn't know the extent of his Marine Corps experiences.

In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed forces often in rear echelon posts where they were carefully protected, only to be trotted out to perform for
the cameras in war bond promotions, Lee Marvin was a genuine hero. He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima.

There is only one higher Naval award... the Medal Of Honor!

If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man, he credits his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.

Dialog from "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson": His guest was Lee Marvin...

Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a Marine in the
initial landing at Iwo Jima and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded."

"Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the bottom and they gave me the Cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi. Bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys getting shot hauling you down. But, Johnny, at Iwo Jima, I served under the bravest man I ever knew... We both got the Cross the same day, but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison.

That dumb guy actually stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach.

Bullets flying by, with mortar rounds landing everywhere and he stood there as the main target of gunfire so that he could get his men to safety. He did this on more than one occasion because his men's safety was more important than his own life.

That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me, lying on my belly on the litter and said, "Where'd they get you Lee?" "Well Bob.... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse!"

Johnny, I'm not lying, Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever knew. The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan. You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."

On another note, there was this wimpy little man on PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth.

But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat.

After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and therefore, a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human, he also dedicated the rest of his life to trying to
help lead children on the right path in life. He hid away the tattoos and his past life and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm.

America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did. They quietly go about their day-to-day lives, doing what they do best. They earned our respect and the freedoms that we all enjoy. Look around and see if you can find one of those heroes in your midst. Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect, but would most like to have on your side if anything ever happened.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: In the USA...Ya never know !!!

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks for posting that stagman. I loved Mr. Rogers and Captain Kangaroo when I was a kid. And Lee Marvin was one of my favorite actors.

One other thing about Mr. Rogers is that he was a VERY accomplished organist. He composed all the music for his show. While it may sound very simple, if you’ve ever tried to play one of his compositions on piano or organ you quickly find that it’s tough stuff.

All three great American heros.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Lee Marvin was the real deal. So was Mr. Rogers but not in the same sense. Rogers never served in the military in any branch. He was too young for WWII, didn't serve in Korea or during Vietnam. No military service at all. The rumor that he was a Marine sniper got spread all over the internet some years back but was false. This of course takes nothing from his life, a life he lived graciously and peacefully. May both gentlemen rest in peace.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's with no pleasure that I post this.

These allegations have been circulating since at least the late '90s - early 2000s.
From Snopes. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/false ... roo-court/

Lee Marvin:
"Lee Marvin did enlist in the U.S. Marines, saw action as Private First Class in the Pacific during World War II, and was wounded (in the buttocks) by fire which severed his sciatic nerve. However, his injury occurred during the battle for Saipan in June 1944, not the battle for Iwo Jima, which took place several months later, in February 1945. Marvin also received a Purple Heart and was indeed interred at Arlington National Cemetery (but he was not, as some versions of this piece claim, awarded a Navy Cross)."

Bob Keeshan (Capt. Kangaroo):
"Bob Keeshan, later famous as television’s “Captain Kangaroo,” also enlisted in the U.S. Marines, but he did so too late to see any action during World War II. Keeshan was born on 27 June 1927 and enlisted two weeks before his 18th birthday, several months after the fighting at Iwo Jima. In a 1997 interview, Keeshan explained that he “enlisted in the U.S. Marines but saw no combat” because he signed up “just before we dropped the atom bomb.” "

Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers):
"Numerous rumors about children’s television host Fred Rogers having a violent, criminal, or military background have been bandied about for years, but there is nothing to any of them. As our Mr. Rogers page explains, Fred Rogers never served in the military."

There is also a story circulating saying that Bea Arthur served in the Corps. I've seen a video of an interview with her where she was asked straight out if she ever served in the Marines. She responded with an unequivocal "NO".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

I got it in a email from the neighbor...saw the tonite show piece..goes to show ya,
paper, email, tv, radio, what can or cannot you believe anymore !!!

stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I hear ya Will. It's no wonder the older generation is a bunch of curmudgeons. It's a dirty shame we have to double check every dotted 'i' and crossed 't'. Sure would make life more pleasant if we could just take folks at their word.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

jerryd6818 wrote:I hear ya Will. It's no wonder the older generation is a bunch of curmudgeons. It's a dirty shame we have to double check every dotted 'i' and crossed 't'. Sure would make life more pleasant if we could just take folks at their word.
...and a handshake to seal the deal. ::handshake::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “Mostly True Stories”