I HATE PHONE MENUS

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: I HATE PHONE MENUS

Post by Shearer »

I like the insurance company ones.
To pay a policy straight through.
To make a claim one and half hours wait.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Some of the menus require that you first listen to a few minutes of advertising before you can even start the selection part.
Our societies are getting increasingly frustrating to navigate and in some people the frustration boils over into shooting other people.
Major corporations need to stop trying to pinch every penny and try to actually provide helpful support to their customers. All of us need to try to be more helpful toward others.
kj
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::tu:: ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

kootenay joe wrote:Some of the menus require that you first listen to a few minutes of advertising before you can even start the selection part.
Our societies are getting increasingly frustrating to navigate and in some people the frustration boils over into shooting other people.
Major corporations need to stop trying to pinch every penny and try to actually provide helpful support to their customers. All of us need to try to be more helpful toward others.
kj
From phone menus to killing people is a mighty big jump, kj.
I don't buy it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::cb::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Phone menus that confound all who call is one of the many frustrations that cumulatively could push a person over the edge.
The near 100% reliance on electronics for communication further isolates people from developing a real connection with others.
Frustrating phone menus on their own are not the cause of homicidal behaviour. They are more a sign of the times in which so much seems beyond our control.
kj
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

We all agree that phone menus are a bad product of our time. However, the one I think that may be as bad or worse is all the retailers that you go into now days, when you get to the checkout, they want a whole bunch of personal information and you have to stand there and listed to a credit card spiel before they will even take your money. They want you to sign up for an account with them and they are very insistent. The last time this happened to me, the clerk wanted me to pay with their credit card and give me a discount, yada, yada, yada. I asked if they accepted cash US dollar, and I finally had to tell him I just wanted to pay and get going. He went into another spiel for something else, and that any personal information would not be sold or traded. Finally, a supervisor happen to walk by and overheard our "conversation" and asked me if there was a problem. I told him I just wanted to pay for my purchase and get going, to which HE started in that all the preceding was the company policy and yada, yada, yada. I told him my policy was going to be to buy all the items I had laying on their counter somewhere else, and I left.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:We all agree that phone menus are a bad product of our time. However, the one I think that may be as bad or worse is all the retailers that you go into now days, when you get to the checkout, they want a whole bunch of personal information and you have to stand there and listed to a credit card spiel before they will even take your money. They want you to sign up for an account with them and they are very insistent. The last time this happened to me, the clerk wanted me to pay with their credit card and give me a discount, yada, yada, yada. I asked if they accepted cash US dollar, and I finally had to tell him I just wanted to pay and get going. He went into another spiel for something else, and that any personal information would not be sold or traded. Finally, a supervisor happen to walk by and overheard our "conversation" and asked me if there was a problem. I told him I just wanted to pay for my purchase and get going, to which HE started in that all the preceding was the company policy and yada, yada, yada. I told him my policy was going to be to buy all the items I had laying on their counter somewhere else, and I left.
That's one of the many things I think that killed Kmart/Sears; along with Radio Shack. Around here, these were the WORST stores to start with that credit card nonsense.
schradefan27

Post by schradefan27 »

I'm with you on this with one exception. In my experience it is not names like "Dillip" or "Pahi" - often when I speak to a live person they SAY their name is "Bill" or "Fred" but their accent says "Jugdish" or "Apu" 8)

Return to “Mostly True Stories”