The Rest of the Story

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Rest of the Story

Post by dlr110 »

A while back my pastor showed me a WWII USMC HOSPITAL CORPSMAN BOLO KNIFE that his father had passed down to him. Pastor Robin, as we call him, didn’t know anything about the knife except that his father had it for as long as he could remember. Pastor Robin knew I was a collector and has been over several times to see some of the knives in my collection and talk about them.

One day he brought the Bolo Knife to me and asked if I would do some background research on the knife and those types of knives in general. I agreed and soon had him a short 4 page report on the history of Bolo knives and specific details about his knife and its possible value in today’s market. I took it to him one Sunday evening and he was so excited to get the report and the info I provided him. When I gave it to him, I offered him $250 for the knife and he turned me down without any hesitation. I left it at that, because I knew it had value to him that no one could buy.

On Wednesday December 4th, 2019 I was still really hurting in back, but I made it to evening Bible study. Before we began Pastor Robin came up to where I was sitting and asked, “Is your car locked?” I told him it was and knowing I was hurting he asked to see my keys. He sometimes has eggs, vegetables and such that he brings in for folks and I thought he was putting some of those in my car so I wouldn’t have to get up.

When the evening study was over, and I went to my car to my great surprise was the Bolo Knife in the driver’s seat. Pastor Robin really has no interest in knives other than the small pocket knife he carries. He said the knife was important to his father and he wanted it to go to someone who had a passion for history and collecting knives like I did. I now know that the knife did in fact belong to his father, Aaron Dye, USMC WWII. Over the years Mr. Dye had kept and preserved the knife because it had inspired him to make knives himself that were used in peace, not in war. I assured Pastor Robin that this knife would not end up at a flea market or in a garage sale, but one day in a military museum “Donated from the collection of Aaron Dye.”

As the great radio announcer Paul Harvey would say “And now you know the rest of the story.”
_
IMG_20191205_154543.jpg
IMG_20191205_152440.jpg
IMG_20191205_152504.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Steve Warden

Re: The Rest of the Story

Post by Steve Warden »

Thanks for sharing that, Dave.
Great story ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Now that’s cool as all get out!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for the story, and for showing the knife. It’s special in more ways than one! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great knife and awesome story! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very neat story, David! What would a medical corpsman use such a large knife for?
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I like that story a lot, all but the part about you being down in your back. Get well soon. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Absolutely OUTSTANDING!!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Doc B wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:22 am Very neat story, David! What would a medical corpsman use such a large knife for?
All the different articles I read stated they would use them for cutting tree limbs or bamboo to make litter carriers and shelters for the wounded. Their were a few other uses I would just as soon not talk about.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:52 am
Doc B wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:22 am Very neat story, David! What would a medical corpsman use such a large knife for?
All the different articles I read stated they would use them for cutting tree limbs or bamboo to make litter carriers and shelters for the wounded. Their were a few other uses I would just as soon not talk about.
Interesting...and neat knife.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....how did I miss this one????.......great story!!!.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ....................

Return to “Mostly True Stories”