A Miracle...Or God's Answer To A Father's Anguish Cry?

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Miracle...Or God's Answer To A Father's Anguish Cry?

Post by KLJ77 »

Growing up, I spent a lot of time on my Aunt's & Uncle's farms and enjoyed it immensely. As such, when my daughters were old enough to understand and enjoy the country lifestyle, my wife and I would take them out to my favorite Aunt's place.

It was the winter of '79, my oldest daughter was 5 years old and wanted to go sledding at the farm. We arranged a day and took off. Next to the 'red' barn was a moderately steep hill, maybe 40/45 degrees incline and ran for approximately 40 yards. This hill would provide a good day of sledding and enjoyment for the family. We had a toboggan and several sleds. I would take my daughter down the hill on the toboggan or sled, then walk back up for another go. Finally, (I knew the request was coming at any moment) my daughter (Lori) asked if she could go down on the sled by herself. I was reluctant to let her, but also wanted her to experience a 'solo' run and give her confidence. My greatest concern was whether she had the strength to turn the sled with her feet and steer it. She wanted to 'sit up' on the sled to enjoy the view as she raced down the hill.

So after some 'instructions' in holding on, steering and falling off if need be, she was excitedly ready to 'go it alone' like a big girl. The joy in her face, eyes and body was too much to disappoint. So I got her settled in, pointed the sled in a safe direction away from a three-strand barbed wire fence at the bottom of the hill and asked her if she was ready for a gentle push off. She assured me she was ready and said, 'push me, already!'.

A gentle push and off she went, screaming with joy as she careened downward, snow blowing around her, mixed with laughter. And then, all of a sudden, whether she pushed the steering handles to turn left unintentionally, we're not sure, but she started heading toward that three-stranded barbed wire fence. I recognized the danger immediately and started running down the hill as fast as I could, but there was no way I was going to catch up to her and stop her before she hit the fence. I was yelling at her to fall off, but she couldn't hear me...too far away. The sled was moving at a pretty good clip on the packed snow as Lori sat straight upright, holding onto the sides of the sled...and there was no question that she had the speed to reach the fence. Lori was going to be mangled by the barbs as she was ripped off the sled...she didn't have a clue as to the danger her father had put her in.

I continued to yell, but to no avail...my heart aching, knowing what was about to happen, and it was my fault that my daughter was going to be disfigured for the rest of her life...especially her face. These were my thoughts running down that hill, trying in vain to reach a speeding sled that held my daughter. At about two-thirds of the way down the hill, I stopped, my emotions running so high, my heart rate up...and as clear today as it was that day, I said; "Dear God, in Jesus Name, I ask for your protection over my daughter." I started running again, knowing that I would need to comfort her afterwards. My wife was not far behind me, for she too saw what was about to happen.

And then, the most AMAZING thing occurred. I witnessed this happening in slow motion, it seemed. When the sled was approximately ten yards away from the fence, Lori laid straight back on the sled and was now flat...and the sled and Lori slid pretty as you please under the lower strand of barbed wire. Her winter coat, her hood, everything, cleared the fence as it went under and onto the other side...and stopped six feet away from the fence. By the time I got to Lori, she was up and laughing, dancing in joy of her SUPER ride alone down the hill. She was totally oblivious to what just happened...nothing registered for her because of all the excitement and thrill of the ride. The only mark on her was a very slight scratch on the tip of her nose where a bard scraped her as she passed under. I was crying and hugging her, and she couldn't understand what in the world had gotten into her dad. She just looked at me with a confused expression.

After settling down a bit and getting my emotions under control, I asked Lori; "why did you lay down flat on the sled when you did?" And folks, I will swear an oath of truth on a stack of Bibles that this is what she replied; "I don't know, Daddy...all I know is, that it seemed like someone just pushed me on my chest and shoved me backwards." Yep...and then there were more tears of joy, thank you's to God for answering my plea and increasing my faith in Him that day by a hundred fold.

Now...there are many here who will digest this story and know exactly what I am conveying and what I felt that day, for many of you have your own stories you could tell. And there may be others who may shrug this story off and want to believe or think that I made it all up just to present some drama and sensationalism...and that's okay, for I know the truth of that day. This was not an isolated moment in my life regarding my relationship with God, for there are many more stories I could tell and give testimony to how he provided protection, discernment and clearing the pathways of my life. My life has not been all 'roses and honey', for I have made my own mistakes, made my own wrong turns in life, and made choices against His Will...and I continue to learn...yes, even at my old age.

I trust this story can be meaningful to those who read it...and just know that; this story is NOT about me, but about how a wonderful God heard the anguish cries of a father who desperately needed Him at a moment in time where he had absolutely no control over the circumstances that evolved that day.

Blessings to all...
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A Miracle...Or God's Answer To A Father's Anguish Cry?

Post by treefarmer »

No comments, there is nothing to say but, Thank you Lord! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

treefarmer wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:16 pm No comments, there is nothing to say but, Thank you Lord! ::tu::
Treefarmer
Amen ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

There is an old hymn, What a friend we have in Jesus. I have often thought the words of this hymn have so much meaning, we can sing it, and that helps me remember the words, but after that to just repeat the message to focus on the words - even in my mind - or with a friend. The message of those words contain so many answers and solutions to the daily trials of life. You are correct that God does answer our prayers.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I believe you. I think we have all had those moments when we cry out to God for our children or other loved ones, I have.
I even think God expects us to. Thank the Lord she was okay that day. God Bless.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us. Praise God ! ::ds::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I think many of us “get it”. When the Lord answers a prayer it is always evident that it was Him answering and not some wild chance.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...how did I miss this story??..........amazing!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............
sooner

Post by sooner »

As a Dad and now a Paw Paw I feel the panic you must of had .I remember standing in my drive way with 19 year old son going off to war and with the tears flowing down my face I handed him over to god ,he is now a father of twins ,so I know prayer works .
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Amen all around...,😁🤝
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne

Return to “Mostly True Stories”