"Third on the bill..................."

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
knife7knut

"Third on the bill..................."

Post by knife7knut »

Checked into my new duty station(NTC Jacksonville FL)on a cold(35 degrees F)February morning and met some of the people who would be my classmates for the next 5 months. Over the next couple months;having just turned 21 a short time before I would check out the various establishments in downtown Jax. Having been a music lover (who can't play a lick)ever since I can recall I found a place where they had a great band playing on the weekends.Can't remember the name of the bar but the band's name was the Jayhawks. Great group that played a lot of blues music.
One Saturday a couple of my classmates and I went into town and while there decided it would be cool to go see a rock concert. We scanned the paper and found that the Righteous Brothers were playing at the War Memorial Auditorium that afternoon along with a couple other acts(actually there were five all together).So we went over to see if tickets were still available.
We managed to get tickets for the front row just to the right(stage left)of the stage and waited for the show to begin. I had brought along my newly purchased camera(an Argus C-3)and was still learning how to use it.It was a range finder camera that has a small window next to the lens where you frame the picture; as opposed to a single lens reflex that you compose pictures through the lens.It also has a 50mm non telescopic lens which doesn't make for the greatest pictures if you are shooting from any distance.
The first act was a performer known as Little Peggy March. I think her one record was called,"I Will Follow Him".The audience which I doubt was more than 500 people responded half-heartedly.
The next group to come on was the New Beats who had a record called,"I Like Bread & Butter". They performed a couple other songs which were forgettable.
The next group to come on stage(third on the bill)was an English group that was making their second American tour called,"The Rolling Stones". They did several songs but the audience wasn't really all that crazy about them;they had come to see Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield(the Righteous Brothers). They weren't booed off the stage but they didn't exactly get a rousing reception either.
Second on the bill was the Sir Douglas Quintet headed by Doug Salm and they were very warmly greeted.They really got the crowd warmed up for the Righteous Brothers. As an aside there was something I didn't know that I found out many years later that Doug Salm had a part in the movie Easy Rider. He played the biker who showed Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper the way through the desert.
And then the Righteous Brothers came out and the place went wild. They did a bunch of their songs and a couple of encores until they just couldn't sing anymore. What a show!
Through the show I tried taking pictures and although they aren't the greatest in the world I hereby present them for your viewing pleasure.
Oh yes I almost forgot:the price tag for our tickets bought two hours before the concert started in the first row? Two dollars and fifty cents each! Wish I still had the stubs. And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
#1 & #2 The Newbeats
#3 through #9 The Rolling Stones
#10 The Sir Douglas Quintet
Attachments
Newbeats1965 1.jpg
Newbeats1965 2.jpg
RollingStones1965 1.jpg
RollingStones1965 2.jpg
RollingStones1965 3.jpg
RollingStones1965 3]4.jpg
RollingStones1965 5.jpg
RollingStones1965 6.jpg
RollingStones1965 7.jpg
SirDouglasQuintet1965 1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Re: "Third on the bill..................."

Post by knife7knut »

Page two
#1 -#2-#3 The Sir Douglas Quintet
#4 & #5 The Righteous Brothers.
Attachments
SirDouglasQuintet1965 2.jpg
SirDouglasQuintet1965 3.jpg
SirDouglasQuintet1965 4.jpg
RighteousBrothers1965 1.jpg
RighteousBrothers1965 2.jpg
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Great story and I bet it was a good concert. Thanks ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Love the Righteous Brothers. Unchained Melody is my favorite.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I bet that was some kind of concert! Wow!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

::ds:: Go Israel!! ::ds:: ::ds::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

knife7knut wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:36 am Checked into my new duty station(NTC Jacksonville FL)on a cold(35 degrees F)February morning and met some of the people who would be my classmates for the next 5 months. Over the next couple months;having just turned 21 a short time before I would check out the various establishments in downtown Jax. Having been a music lover (who can't play a lick)ever since I can recall I found a place where they had a great band playing on the weekends.Can't remember the name of the bar but the band's name was the Jayhawks. Great group that played a lot of blues music.
One Saturday a couple of my classmates and I went into town and while there decided it would be cool to go see a rock concert.
The first act was a performer known as Little Peggy March. I think her one record was called,"I Will Follow Him".The audience which I doubt was more than 500 people responded half-heartedly.
The next group to come on was the New Beats who had a record called,"I Like Bread & Butter". They performed a couple other songs which were forgettable.
The next group to come on stage(third on the bill)was an English group that was making their second American tour called,"The Rolling Stones". They did several songs but the audience wasn't really all that crazy about them;they had come to see Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield(the Righteous Brothers). They weren't booed off the stage but they didn't exactly get a rousing reception either.
Second on the bill was the Sir Douglas Quintet headed by Doug Salm and they were very warmly greeted.They really got the crowd warmed up for the Righteous Brothers. As an aside there was something I didn't know that I found out many years later that Doug Salm had a part in the movie Easy Rider. He played the biker who showed Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper the way through the desert.
And then the Righteous Brothers came out and the place went wild. They did a bunch of their songs and a couple of encores until they just couldn't sing anymore. What a show!
Through the show I tried taking pictures and although they aren't the greatest in the world I hereby present them for your viewing pleasure.
Oh yes I almost forgot:the price tag for our tickets bought two hours before the concert started in the first row? Two dollars and fifty cents each! Wish I still had the stubs. And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
#1 & #2 The Newbeats
#3 through #9 The Rolling Stones
#10 The Sir Douglas Quintet

Thanks for the pics and story, would have loved to be there, but missed the show cause I wasn't born yet. Thanks again.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

The concert sounds like a good one...but what really gets me is the temperature. If I recall correctly, Knife7Knut is (unlike me) a native Michigander. I'd think a Michigander would be happy to see 35 degrees in February!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Great memories Ray. Must have been 1964 or thereabouts. I saw The Rolling Stones concert in Dallas in 1965, they were the headliners on that show and I can’t recall that there was an opening act. (If there was it didn’t make a lasting impression on me). The show was in a large venue, several thousand people and it was sold out. I remember thinking at the time what a charismatic performer and showman Mick Jagger was - he was a bundle of energy moving all over the stage, dancing, jumping, running, and singing at the same time. The teenage girls in the audience including my date were going crazy. Saw the Stones again several years later. I remember the opening act that time though was the great Chuck Berry. ::tu::

Doug Sahm was, and still is, a Texas legend. Somehow I never got to see him in person, but did see the Righteous Brothers in concert, probably around 1967. Also saw The Lettermen about that time.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:41 pm The concert sounds like a good one...but what really gets me is the temperature. If I recall correctly, Knife7Knut is (unlike me) a native Michigander. I'd think a Michigander would be happy to see 35 degrees in February!
Not if you had just come from spending the winter in Key West Florida!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:01 pm Great memories Ray. Must have been 1964 or thereabouts. I saw The Rolling Stones concert in Dallas in 1965, they were the headliners on that show and I can’t recall that there was an opening act. (If there was it didn’t make an impression on me). The show was in a large venue, several thousand people and it was sold out. I remember thinking at the time what a charismatic performer and showman Mick Jagger was - he was a bundle of energy moving all over the stage, dancing, jumping, running, and singing at the same time. The teenage girls in the audience including my date were going crazy. Saw the Stones again several years later. I remember the opening act that time though was the great Chuck Berry. ::tu::

Doug Sahm was, and still is, a Texas legend. Somehow I never got to see him in person, but did see the Righteous Brothers in concert, probably around 1967. Also saw The Lettermen about that time.

Ken
I checked in to Jax in February of 65 and left in August so it was somewhere between. Mick indeed was jumping all over the stage and putting on quite a show but for some reason the people who came to the show weren't all that impressed.There was only about 1500 people there and they came to see the Righteous Brothers.
I liked all types of music and the Stones were one of my favorites. The Beatles never really did anything for me except for a couple songs.The Revolver album was probably their best in my opinion.
One concert I did miss there(I had weekend duty)was Otis Redding.First heard him in Key West and was blown away by his sound.Nobody up north had ever heard of him.Never did get ti see him live.

Return to “Mostly True Stories”