My friend Greg's models..................

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
knife7knut

My friend Greg's models..................

Post by knife7knut »

This is the story of a man named Greg DePauw;an artist and an all around great guy who loved art and loved to teach the craft to others.Most of his students were underprivileged kids who lived in and around his home town of Metamora Illinois.
I first met him when we attended a car show in Pontiac Illinois called the,"Rockin' Rods on Route 66".We were doing some pinstriping and a charity art auction and Greg had come over in his wheelchair to watch.
During a break in painting he started a conversation with me and my friend Shane and after a bit we asked him if he wanted his wheelchair striped. He kind of laughed and said sure and the both of us quickly did a number on it.
He mentioned that he held an annual art show to raise money for art supplies for his teaching and would we be interested in attending. As it turned out,we were both committed on the weekend the show was to be held but we both vowed to send out some pieces to be auctioned which we did.
I mentioned the wheelchair before.It turned out that Greg was involved in an accident in 1974 that left him a quadriplegic but he adapted and even though it was difficult for him to get around he managed. His brother had customized a 1937 Ford sedan by installing a front wheel drive system from a Ford Taurus which allowed him to make a flat floor for the car. This;combined with special hand controls;a door on the right side that was hinged at the top,and a hydraulic ramp gave Greg a hot rod of his own to drive. Sadly he rarely used it because it was difficult for him to drive even short distances.
About a year later I get a call from Greg asking me if I would like to decorate one of his one off custom model cars.I said sure and he shipped it out for me to paint up however I wished. These were made from resin and cast in a handmade mold.
Over time I did five of these cars for him and he auctioned them off at his show. He only made one of each car and then the mold was destroyed.
Sadly his health was deteriorating and he eventually passed away several years ago. I thought I would post this story and pictures of him and his cars as a tribute to a good friend. The first two pictures are of Greg just after he removed the Rocket Car from the mold and some of his art work. The rest are his babies. The last one was the model that has the winged hood ornament from a 51 Chrysler molded into it.As an aside the "rivets" on the wings are just painted on to look like they are 3D. Hope you enjoy them.
Attachments
GregDePauw with the Rocket Kar just out of the mold..jpg
GregsArt1.jpg
DePauwKetRocket2016 002.jpg
DePauwKetRocket2016 003.jpg
GregsCar7.JPG
GregsCar010.JPG
PeaceHawk2.JPG
PeaceHawk3.JPG
GregsNewest1.jpg
GregsNewest3.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Re: My friend Greg's models..................

Post by knife7knut »

One more car affectionately called,"The Slime Car" because of it's color.
Attachments
SlimeCar001.JPG
SlimeCar002.JPG
SlimeCar003.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray, another fine and interesting story from your life of many adventures and many great friends.
Have you ever thought of expanding some of these 'adventures' and creating a book of short stories ? You write well and your stories are always interesting.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:29 pm Ray, another fine and interesting story from your life of many adventures and many great friends.
Have you ever thought of expanding some of these 'adventures' and creating a book of short stories ? You write well and your stories are always interesting.
kj
Thanks for the kind words Roland. I have been working on a couple of them off & on for the last several years on different subjects. One has to do with my career in painting and the other about accumulating knives.
I had written a book about 30 years ago detailing some of our(my ex-wife and I)experiences as an emergency home for foster children but there was too much personal stuff in it so I decided not to publish it.I was going through a rather messy divorce at the time.Still have the original handwritten manuscript of 300 odd pages I wrote on a Labor Day Weekend. Maybe someday.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool and beautiful pieces of art, Ray! You're very talented, thanks for posting.

😎👍👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Mostly True Stories”