Things I Learned From My Dad

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
cudgee

Re: Things I Learned From My Dad

Post by cudgee »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:17 pm These are great!

I would add- never take more than you're going to eat, we don't waste food.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: My Mum used to say " Always Leave The Table With Room For Some More ". :)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

"Never let the best you can do today set the standard for the rest of your life".
"If you don't learn something every day,then you probably aren't breathing"
"That was NOT a request!"
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

knife7knut wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:07 am "Never let the best you can do today set the standard for the rest of your life".
"If you don't learn something every day,then you probably aren't breathing"
"That was NOT a request!"
The last one, :lol: :lol: :lol: imagine saying that to a modern millenial. ::mdm:: ::mdm:: ::mdm:: :wink:
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Always do your level best and let the devil take the hind most.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I learned a lot from my father, mainly about sales and interacting with people. My father was NOT the handiest person in the world while I was growing up. He was a business man, owning multiple businesses and rental homes.

What he did do was tell me - "Find someone who knows what you want to do and learn from them." That's how he learned electrical, plumbing, brick laying, carpentry, etc, for making repairs and improvements to the rentals, after I had left home for college and the Navy. I learned all those skills later.

I learned auto mechanics from the mechanic he employed to work on his trucks. I learn small engine repair and small tool repair from his employee who did those repairs in the store.

The biggest personal interaction tip he taught me was

"Son, it's not good to get in a fight. The winner of a fight is just the first loser. Do the best you can to avoid a fight. Walk away if you can. But if you do have to fight, WIN. There are no rules in a fight. Anything you can do to win is OK."

I ended up only have 2 fights growing up, one in the 7th grade and one in the 8th, both with bullies who pushed the smallest boy in school a little too far. "Won" both due to not following the "rules" of playground fights.

Got off with a pat on the head for the first one. Got 3 licks from the principal for the second. Not because I fought, not because I won, but because I laid out (concussion, broken jaw and swollen testicles) the senior starting center of the football team to the point where he was unable to play in that night's football game which was to determine whether or not our team made the playoffs.

Ooops. We lost. :mrgreen:

Return to “Mostly True Stories”