Stiletto Storage/Case Options?

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
RoyS

Stiletto Storage/Case Options?

Post by RoyS »

Hi Gents,

I just wondered what folks are using to store their Italian Stilettos in?

See attached - I've been using these cases and they do a good job. Inexpensive and hold my 28cm (11") stilettos well but I was wondering if there are better options out there?

Ideally I would prefer something similar but perhaps better quality and larger, as (for example) anything bigger that a 28cm won't fit.

Thoughts, ideas or suggests welcomed.

Cheerio,
Roy
Attachments
IMG_6554.JPG
My website: www.fsknife.com
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Stiletto Storage/Case Options?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Other than size considerations why would stiletto storage be different from any other knives? A search here for “rolls” or “storage” will find a lot of posts giving recommendations. Here is just one such thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73519

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Hi Ken,

You are of course correct, it's not different. I was just referring to 'stilettos' as that's what I want storage for and thought it would be nice to see what other 'stiletto' collectors are doing.

I find a lot of storage options out there are for smaller pocket knives and unsuitable, hence my showing a pic. And have trawled through many online options that are either for smaller knives and/or don't fully show dimensions, so it's hard to tell if it would work.

So sorry if my post was irritating, annoying or too much of a novice question.

Cheerio,
Roy
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Roy, with how you are storing now, is it a problem with the blade cutting the elastic?
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Hi,

No problem with storing just as I shown, I quite like this setup. But the size is limiting to 11", so just wondering if there is something similar out there but larger.

Cheerio,
Roy
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Just wondering why the blade is open for storage?
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Because I prefer it that way.... ::paranoid::

Cheerio,
Roy
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

RoyS wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:03 pm Hi Ken,

You are of course correct, it's not different. I was just referring to 'stilettos' as that's what I want storage for and thought it would be nice to see what other 'stiletto' collectors are doing.

I find a lot of storage options out there are for smaller pocket knives and unsuitable, hence my showing a pic. And have trawled through many online options that are either for smaller knives and/or don't fully show dimensions, so it's hard to tell if it would work.

So sorry if my post was irritating, annoying or too much of a novice question.

Cheerio,
Roy
Your post wasnt annoying or irritating at all. I guess mine came across wrong, but I thought perhaps there was something I didn't know I about (other than size) that made storing stilettos different. Also trying to point you to some previous posts on the subject of knife storage for your consideration. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

They make individual zippered padded knife cases for individual knives that come in sizes to hold any size knife. I know you switch guys like to call your Italian auto knives "stilettos" but that term is already taken and refers to European fixed blade knives, often made of all steel components and often from the 16th-18th centuries.
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thank you Ken,

Appreciate that mate, no harm done.

Also thank you Gunsil,

I'm very familiar with what a stiletto is but appreciate the reminder. I"m also familiar with individual padded cases and always have some floating around but neither was the nature of my original question.

I'm not sure this light hearted thread I started has achieved what I hoped - a simply question posed to fellow collectors in the hopes of some further ideas. Perhaps this wasn't the best place to post my queries, so my apologies.

O well, we seem to be going down the road of what is the correct nomenclature now, not at all my intention, so perhaps I will bow out of this topic before it gets more off track.

My gratitude for all comments and suggestions.

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Not at all, Roy! You asked a question and got replies, just the same as any other topic, you haven't irritated or upset anyone. So, I'm gonna comment! I was storing my knives autos and manuals open, in similar red and black felt/elastic pouches, and for my models larger than 28 cm I just let the tip stick out the top cuz I'd prop the back of the pouch up against the wall with the other section lying flat. But I found the dust accumulation was just too much, so I recently switched to clear plastic containers with hinged lids that hold about 12-15 closed knives each. I bought 5 originally cuz I didn't really know their capacity, but when I found that only my autos would fit in the 5, I ordered 10 more that are on the way. I have always stored my autos open, but I've had to sacrifice that option so they will fit in these containers, I sure hope Bill De is right! lol! I really liked being able to glance over at my collection and see each knife open and lined up beside each other, but the dust was so bad I had to make this change. At least they are clear, so they're not hidden completely! This is the best picture I could capture, cuz I need to use my laptop camera! 8)
WIN_20221203_21_23_11_Pro.jpg
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks Marco,

That's an interesting idea and one I had not previously considered.

Much appreciated, thank you.

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You're welcome, Roy! ::handshake:: Some of the guys still use the old Dutch Masters and other cigar boxes, ::tu:: but once the lid closes you can't see your knives, ::doh:: so I figured clear containers would work, ::hmm:: and they do! ::groove:: ! 8)
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks Marco,

With inspiration from one another thread linked above, I think I may be onto something, just need to check sizes but I will report back if/when I get it.

Cheerio,
Roy
coricama

Post by coricama »

What I found was Art supply cases marker,crayon, brush storage cases work very well, made in various sizes too.
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Now that's an interesting solution I had never considered.

Thank you.

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

coricama wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:38 pm What I found was Art supply cases marker,crayon, brush storage cases work very well, made in various sizes too.
Thanks for the heads-up Cor! ::handshake:: Also, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
leafytopsail

Post by leafytopsail »

They provide cushioned, zipped covers for knives that can accommodate blades of varying lengths and widths. The name "stiletto" is already in use, referring to European fixed blade knives from the 16th to 18th centuries.happy wheels I know you switch people like to call your Italian auto knives "stilettos," but the term already refers to European fixed blade knives composed of all steel components.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The term "stiletto" is correct and appropriate for Italian knives of that particular design.
"Stiletto" is defined as a long, thin item, particularly suited to stabbing. From Latin "stylus."
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Nicely put Bill,

Appreciate your comments.

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you Bill, ::handshake:: we always get the real deal when you explain stuff! 8)
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Hi Gents,

I wanted to update this thread as I think I've found a good solution, see attached.

This is a CASE 1075 and at around $100 with shipping, it was a tad on the pricy side. However and as you can see it fulfills what I was looking for. In that it's better quality and fits the knives well, even a little more room than needed should I ever add a 33/13 knife to the collection. The padding is deep and works great and it closely nicely too.

Overall I'm very pleased and will plan on getting another.

Cheerio,
Roy
Attachments
IMG_6784.jpg
IMG_6782.jpg
IMG_6783.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice Roy! ::tu:: I was using the similar red/black felt/elastic pouches for the longest time, but I like to see my knives and also wanted to display them open and did so, but the accumulation of dust was too much to stay on top of, so I've switched to the plastic clear boxes with hinged lids I ordered. If you only own a few knives and wish to leave them open those pouches are excellent, but I have over 350 knives and was already up to 6 of them and needed more, so I decided to switch. Your knives look right at home in that pouch! 8)
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks for that Marco,

I may go for a display at some point but this will do for now. Sounds like you have an amazing collection mate, well done.. ::tu::

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Roy! ::handshake:: I was looking over my collection recently, and thought the exact same thing, "I have some amazing knives"! And your pouches will definitely do for now, it's when you run out of room and need to buy more you start thinking about a different system! 8)
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”