Pawn Shop Find..!

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
RoyS

Pawn Shop Find..!

Post by RoyS »

Hi Folks,

Long story short, I've been on the hunt for a Protech Don as a carry knife, I like the idea of a modern knife but with a traditional 'nod' to the classic Italian Stiletto.

Well I found this beauty in a local pawn shop. It's a model 1760 custom Don, Damascus, titanium and desert ironwood. And new in the original box.. ::ds::

This is such a sweetheart of a knife, I'm not sure it's going to be my carry knife but what a cracker, totally thrilled with this find.

Does anyone have any idea when this was made? I found one reference to around 2010 but not sure.

Cheerio,
Roy
Attachments
IMG_7182.jpg
IMG_7174.jpg
IMG_7175.jpg
IMG_7180.jpg
My website: www.fsknife.com
INlesK

Re: Pawn Shop Find..!

Post by INlesK »

eye candy, yes.
LesK
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

RoyS wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pmDoes anyone have any idea when this was made? I found one reference to around 2010 but not sure
is this not a current model: http://www.protechknives.com/product/17 ... -ironwood/ ::shrug:: where it says:
Winner of the 2010 Blade Magazine “Investor/Collector Knife of The Year” award,
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

I was already loving this one with its balance of wood and finishes and then I saw the shared the link and love it more - very nice !
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

bestgear wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:16 pm
RoyS wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pmDoes anyone have any idea when this was made? I found one reference to around 2010 but not sure
is this not a current model: http://www.protechknives.com/product/17 ... -ironwood/ ::shrug:: where it says:
Winner of the 2010 Blade Magazine “Investor/Collector Knife of The Year” award,
Wow! That’s several times more than I’ve spent for any knife I have! ::facepalm:: Since it’s a model 1760 I’m curious why they didn’t just price it at $1760? ::sotb::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Samb

Post by Samb »

Lot of money but it sure is purdy.
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks Guys,

I haven't seen any Dons that are currently listed for sale, so assumed they had all been discontinued.

I paid around 50% of the retail price, so no complaints here. :D

Can't stop picking this up and looking at it, a really pretty knife.

Cheerio,
Roy
Attachments
IMG_7175.jpg
IMG_7174.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, that's certainly different than all the Latamas you've been posting Roy, but by the same token it's just as cool. Personally, I haven't seen any available "Dons" for quite some time, so for you to find that one in a pawn shop of all places is a genuine score. That being the case, whatever you paid for it was a good price since from here on in all it will do is appreciate in value. Without any information I'm going to assume yours is the original 8" oal model and not the newer "Large Don" that comes in at 10 1/4" oal, a model I've been diligently searching for but with no luck so far. IMHO, your knife is far to beautiful and valuable to be used as an EDC, so my suggestion to you would be to get yourself a plain jane model like the one in the pictures as your EDC, and stash your customized model away with your valuable Latama collection. Their base model operates just as well as their moded knives, so it would certainly suit your purposes. You're now the proud owner of one of the highest quality customized production knives made, congratulations man! 8)
WIN_20230124_17_48_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230124_17_48_31_Pro.jpg
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks Mate,

And you're absolutely right, I'm going to keep this beauty and look out for a standard model.

Yes, it's the original size with a 3 1/2" blade, the legal limit for carrying in this state.

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You can disregard a "Large Don" Roy, since their blades are 4 1/2" you wouldn't be able to legally carry it. 8)
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Yes mate,

This original smaller ones are so cool. Big isn't always better... ::paranoid::

Cheerio,
Roy
Hooter57

Post by Hooter57 »

Thanks for letting me in and that pawn shop knife looks very well made. Great score there!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK, Hooter! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Look for a Ganzo 707 if you want a carry knife similar to the Don. I'm sure the 707 was copied from your knife and a nice knife it is at a fraction of the price. That Don would stay in the safe if it were mine.
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks for that mate,

Appreciate the advice.

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a great idea Sam, I never thought of the 707. There happens to be one in an AAPK store as we speak, US$45. which isn't too bad considering they're becoming harder and harder to find every day. You'd like them Roy! ::nod:: 8)
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Hi Guys,

Well my wife decided she wanted to head south to visit her mother in Arizona, so we hit the road (again!). I couldn't resist stopping in at Knife City on I-40. I always swing in as we pass when time allows. Anyway I spotted the same custom Protech for sale that I started this thread with, I asked how much and was told $2,000.... ::facepalm:: So you can imagine I was especially thrilled to have grabbed my pawn shop find for less than half that.

But while I was there I spotted a lovely standard Don, which I grabbed, see pics attached.

Cheerio,
Roy
Attachments
IMG_7198.jpg
IMG_7204.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Way ta go pal! ::tu:: That sure is one sweet feeling when you find out you got your knife at a great price, I've had it a couple times during my accumulating. You're gonna love your new "Don", they're top-notch knives. I was wondering where you were since you'd been silent on the forum, but now I know you two were out happily cruising from the cold to the warm, lucky you two! :mrgreen: 8)
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks mate,

Yeah it was a nice drive. Looking forward to catching up with a few errands while here but should be heading back home in ten days or so. Perhaps I will swing in to Knife City again... :D

They have a great selection but can be a bit pricey but that's okay, sometimes it's just the way it is.

Cheerio,
Roy
Attachments
IMG_7201.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ah ha! You took your truck, I was sure you'd have ridden your bike, but now that I think of it, it was probably far to cold for a bike. As for spending money buddy, I can't think of any other use for it than to spend, so go it! You look right at home standing in front of "Knife City"! 8)
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Yes mate,

Way to cold for the bike plus I had my wife and dog with me. Although once I get a bigger trailer we do plan to head back in the spring with 'both' bikes in tow for some nice riding... ::ds::

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sounds like a fine plan to me brother.
In the spring you'll be just in time for the start of the hot weather.
Lucky you, again! 8)
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Thanks Marco,

I confess, I'm more than a little taken with these original (smaller) Dons. I may just keep my eyes open for some more - it's the collector in me ::paranoid::

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That doesn't surprise me Roy. I felt the same way about the "Don" even before I'd ever handled or fired one. They have that classic Italian look which is a huge plus for me, and then when I held and fired it for the first time my suspicions about me liking the knife were confirmed. If you ever spot a "Large Don" in your travels please handle and fire it and report back with your impressions, as I've not had one in-hand I've only seen pictures, and I'd like to know if my visual impressions about it are correct. If you can find any, they make the standard model with many different cover materials, so you'd be able to collect the ones you like. 8)
8)
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I’ve stopped at Knife City a couple of times, great selection of autos. Prices tend to be a little on the high side but I like to handle an auto before I buy. They always manage to get some of my knife $$$.
These 2 last spring
2016867F-7814-455A-83AD-28B01AFE283A.jpeg
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”