Who made this guys ?

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
No youre wrong

Re: Who made this guys ?

Post by No youre wrong »

I think it was roughly mid-1950s before Japan was exporting flip-locks and campers and stilettos to the USA and I’m not sure the Springer shell puller replica models were being made any anymore. They are pretty old and crude looking as has been pointed out, compared to the higher quality later Japanese knives.
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:55 pm Almost all of Europe was in shambles after WW2.
Yep and the USA exported so much to Britain post WW2, and rather than return across the pond with empty ships they filled them with rubble and bricks from the destruction by the luftwaffe raids on London and Bristol

This was used to create a lot of East Manhattan, used as landfill to build upon and I think there are even Buildings faced with recycled UK bricks
The Japanese started making good products, and then the Electric Start motorcycle…..which was the demise of the British bike industry lol 😂
Our fault really as we saw it as a gimmick and not the future
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

JonTerry wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:31 pm
Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:55 pm Almost all of Europe was in shambles after WW2.
Yep and the USA exported so much to Britain post WW2, and rather than return across the pond with empty ships they filled them with rubble and bricks from the destruction by the luftwaffe raids on London and Bristol

This was used to create a lot of East Manhattan, used as landfill to build upon and I think there are even Buildings faced with recycled UK bricks
The Japanese started making good products, and then the Electric Start motorcycle…..which was the demise of the British bike industry lol 😂
Our fault really as we saw it as a gimmick and not the future
Good insight. I think by the mid-1950s Europe would have recovered somewhat and we definitely see them importing and exporting knives and other household goods
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The Japanese quality revolution of the 1950/60s was the result of an American engineer, W. Edwards Deming. Deming went to post-war Japan at the request of General Douglass MacArthur, and eventually taught statistical process control methods and his theories of quality business management to the Japanese. Deming is revered in Japan to this day. The Japanese were willing students - unfortunately Deming is little known in the West outside some (too few) quality and management circles.

If interested you can find much more about Deming on line. Too bad U.S. cutleries weren’t exposed to his teachings.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

As mentioned earlier in this thread my Dad was born in 1952 and was issued a ration until he was about 5 years old think, so we were far from out of the woods.

Plus it was in the 50’s when the UK started to pay back their loans to the USA the loans were so big it took until 2006 to pay off 😳
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:58 pm The Japanese quality revolution of the 1950/60s was the result of an American engineer, W. Edwards Deming. Deming went to post-war Japan at the request of General Douglass MacArthur, and eventually taught statistical process control methods and his theories of quality business management to the Japanese. Deming is revered in Japan to this day. The Japanese were willing students - unfortunately Deming is little known in the West outside some (too few) quality and management circles.

If interested you can find much more about Deming on line. Too bad U.S. cutleries weren’t exposed to his teachings.

Ken

Ken this rings a bell, I think I may of watched a documentary about this guy (or maybe somebody similar?)

Is this the guy who says the more people you get to work on a task the lazier they all become ??

JT
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I haven’t heard that quote. Some of his that I do remember:
No one can measure the loss of business that may arise from a defective item that goes out to a customer.
our system of make-and-inspect, which if applied to making toast would be expressed: “You burn, I’ll scrape.”
Learning is not compulsory… neither is survival.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

I think it also was about corporate waste and how the more staff you employ the output goes down per capita

Example “we need people to have a meeting to decide what cookies and snacks we can eat at our meeting about improving productivity”
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:11 pm I haven’t heard that quote. Some of his that I do remember:
No one can measure the loss of business that may arise from a defective item that goes out to a customer.
our system of make-and-inspect, which if applied to making toast would be expressed: “You burn, I’ll scrape.”
Learning is not compulsory… neither is survival.

I like these 👍👍👍
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

More from Deming
the aim of leadership should be to improve the performance of man and machine, to improve quality, to increase output, and simultaneously to bring pride of workmanship to people. Put in a negative way, the aim of leadership is not merely to find and record failures of men, but to remove the causes of failure: to help people to do a better job with less effort.
a bad system will beat a good person every time
defects are not free. Someone makes them, and gets paid for making them
Eighty-five percent of the reasons for failure are deficiencies in systems and processes rather than the employee. The role of management is to change the process rather than badgering employees to do better.
Quality comes not from inspection, but from improvement of the production process.
The most important part of the production process is the customer.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:36 pm More from Deming
the aim of leadership should be to improve the performance of man and machine, to improve quality, to increase output, and simultaneously to bring pride of workmanship to people. Put in a negative way, the aim of leadership is not merely to find and record failures of men, but to remove the causes of failure: to help people to do a better job with less effort.
a bad system will beat a good person every time
defects are not free. Someone makes them, and gets paid for making them
Eighty-five percent of the reasons for failure are deficiencies in systems and processes rather than the employee. The role of management is to change the process rather than badgering employees to do better.
Quality comes not from inspection, but from improvement of the production process.
The most important part of the production process is the customer.
Love them!

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”