Walt’s Latama - A Class Act

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
RoyS

Walt’s Latama - A Class Act

Post by RoyS »

A short review of my experience with Walt Halucha of Latama Cutlery.

It’s all to easy to criticize when businesses get it wrong (see my earlier review of PVK), so I feel it’s just as important to share when they get it right too.

Early this year I purchased a knife (white bone Classic) from Walt’s Latama Cutlery and I was disappointed to find out it wasn’t working as it should, so promptly contacted Walt who immediately had me return it. Some time later it arrived back and wouldn’t you know, it still wasn’t working correctly, so it was returned again. Throughout this experience, Walt’s communication had been prompt, polite, apologetic and professional, so I was not too put out, as these things happen. But needless to say I was loosing a little faith in this particular knife, so asked Walt if I could choose another, which was aggreable. That knife turned up shortly thereafter and I’ve been very satisfied with it.

Fast forward to a few days ago and I received an email that a ‘gift’ had been shipped to me by Latama Cutlery. I’ve been a good repeat customer, so thought perhaps it was some free oil or some such thing. Well you can imagine my shock when I opened up the package (see photo below) to find the white bone Classic switchblade from my original order, now functioning flawlessly AND gifted to me…!

Not a word from Walt but that’s what I call a class act.

Now this beauty is one of my favorites.

Cheerio,
Roy
Attachments
IMG_7823.jpg
My website: www.fsknife.com
johns7076

Re: Walt’s Latama - A Class Act

Post by johns7076 »

Well done Roy! Credit where credit is due!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Great story, Roy.
I had a similar experience, and it sure felt good that I was a valued customer, and, I received an expensive gifted knife.
You have been a very good customer of theirs, it's very wise of Walt to treat you accordingly.
You now own another beautiful Latama knife, which BTW is gorgeous, and it was given to you by the man himself!
Way ta go buddy!
8)
8)
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Latama Cutlery just prolonged it's existence and grew it's business.
Great experience too!

Bob

p.s. I never dealt with Walt but here he is for those
interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACJ0qptlwpQ
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! I have no experience with Walt or Latama. But I sure do appreciate businesses that take care of their customers. Way to go Walt!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Awesome customer service, nice to hear about a success story.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:03 pm Wow! I have no experience with Walt or Latama. But I sure do appreciate businesses that take care of their customers. Way to go Walt!
That’s great to hear. Some “businessmen” are in denial about how to treat customers and blame customers…
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

I wrote Latama with some inquires on their different models that the web descriptions didn't quite cover.
It took several weeks so I thought it was a lost cause, but then one day I received a friendly and informative message back from Walt where he went above and beyond in helping me undersatand their models and the materials. The personal attention made an impression.

::tu::
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Walt IS Latama, and he's a great guy and a very good businessman.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Hi Gents,

Really appreciate all the positive and interesting replies on this thread, very enjoyable to read all the comments.

As for this 'gift' from Walt, I think I'm going to use it as the base for a special project knife. I've always pondered the idea of a nice white bone switchblade for some engraving and maybe some scrimshaw and as this came as a gift from Walt, it already has some great feeling around it, so I think it will be the knife I used to make something extra special.

Cheerio,
Roy
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

One doesn't become a world renowned successful high quality knife manufacturer by treating their customers shabbily, and that's a lesson that Walt learned well.
I have found the same thing regarding communications with these Italian companies or individuals, they all seem to take forever to reply to messages, but they do get back to you eventually. Life is in their time, not yours!
8)
8)
RoyS

Post by RoyS »

Well Chaps,

As this beauty was a gift from Walt and as it just makes me smile to look at it, I have decided I will treat it as a special project knife and make something really special and personal out of it.

To that end, I've spent a little time profiling the scales to more sympathetically match up with the bolsters and I've also rounded out the locking-tab to look a little nicer. I have zero knife making skills but in my youth I was a wood-machines and cabinet maker, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with such skills.

Considering I've never done anything like this before, I think it's come out really lovely. What do you think?

Now I think I will leave it up to the professionals and perhaps have some hand-engraving done and maybe a little scrimshaw.

Cheerio,
Roy
Attachments
IMG_7834.jpg
IMG_7833.jpg
IMG_7829.jpg
IMG_7832.jpg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

I had the pleasure of meeting Walt at the Blade Show Texas in Ft Worth Saturday. Very nice and knowledgeable man. I mentioned this post about him to let him know that he has a reputation of running a very reputable company. He had some beautiful knives and a stag 11” I wanted but just couldn’t pull the trigger on due to other purchases. They had a new scale release modern knife that was very nice also.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Looks great, Roy.
Can't wait to see it completed!
8)
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”