KA-BAR

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Whitneyrifle

KA-BAR

Post by Whitneyrifle »

Thank you Muskratman for restoring this fine knife! Your work is excellent! I can not thank you enough!!!
Attachments
D37F1ADF-4E91-4CB4-B0C3-6D2F5EFE9752.jpeg
D37F1ADF-4E91-4CB4-B0C3-6D2F5EFE9752.jpeg (105.79 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
29639CCB-11CB-4E4A-85B4-05E133D4D2E7.jpeg
29639CCB-11CB-4E4A-85B4-05E133D4D2E7.jpeg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
ABEB215A-B91B-4373-9469-A31330B0F6CA.jpeg
ABEB215A-B91B-4373-9469-A31330B0F6CA.jpeg (55.6 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Kabar

Post by doglegg »

Muskratman does some fine work. And that is a jewel.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Cool old knife. Could you please take the time to write KA-BAR instead of Kabar? The company is still KA-BAR. MM did a good job but I can still tell it's been worked on.
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:57 pm Cool old knife. Could you please take the time to write KA-BAR instead of Kabar? The company is still KA-BAR. MM did a good job but I can still tell it's been worked on.
It looks nearly untouched. Can you tell us what you see that showed us it’s been worked on?

I heard he’s the best (not that it’s any competition or anything)
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Kaleb is one of the best.
Nothing wrong with the work that I can see.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:57 pm Cool old knife. Could you please take the time to write KA-BAR instead of Kabar? The company is still KA-BAR. MM did a good job but I can still tell it's been worked on.
Actually I believe it’s Ka-Bar Cutlery Inc. but no need for the spelling Police on a knife forum. Lol
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

No youre wrong wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:33 pm
Actually I believe it’s Ka-Bar Cutlery Inc. but no need for the spelling Police on a knife forum. Lol
Sorry, but the big building in Olean says KA-BAR in huge letters. KA-BAR collectors prefer KA-BAR to Kabar, if you're not a KA-BAR guy you wouldn't know. When Union Cut Co changed their name to KA-BAR Inc in 1952 the blade mark changed from KA-BAR to Kabar and the quality of the Kabars was not up to the quality of the KA-BARs. Of course the modern KA-BAR is really just a marketing firm, they don't actually have a factory to make knives.
Whitneyrifle

Re: KA-BAR

Post by Whitneyrifle »

May I ask, what is it that shows it was worked on? Not thatI would lie about it, I am just curious.
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:15 pm
Sorry, but the big building in Olean says KA-BAR in huge letters. KA-BAR collectors prefer KA-BAR to Kabar, if you're not a KA-BAR guy you wouldn't know. When Union Cut Co changed their name to KA-BAR Inc in 1952 the blade mark changed from KA-BAR to Kabar and the quality of the Kabars was not up to the quality of the KA-BARs. Of course the modern KA-BAR is really just a marketing firm, they don't actually have a factory to make knives.
Good info. Thank you.
Attachments
55F7DFDE-4CBA-49E3-A144-477640D6CDE2.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Whitneyrifle wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:49 am Thank you Muskratman for restoring this fine knife! Your work is excellent! I can not thank you enough!!!
I'm no expert, but I'd have not known your knife had been worked on, WR.
Kaleb did work on 2 knives for me last year, and I was most pleased with the results.
That's a fine knife you have there!
8)
8)
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

Thank you,Sir!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice knife, I would love to have one. Harold
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

No youre wrong wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:17 pm
Gunsil wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:15 pm

Good info. Thank you.
'
Try as you may, you cannot change facts. The spelling on the top of the form you posted is correct at the top of the form, KA-BAR Incorporated. Jeez, most everybody knows this. Go to Olean, they call themselves KA-BAR.
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

That’s what I was saying. It says KA-BAR Incorporated.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

No, you weren't. You were saying it was Ka-Bar. And yes, you were mistaken. Here is a 1950s pocket knife box that clearly shows the logo and name of the company.
1794F43B-BBEE-4351-B244-02D47199D27C.jpeg
Like Abraham Lincoln once said: “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

KA-BAR, INCORPORATED is what the official papers say.
Same as the great box you posted.

You are right. Most people do spell it wrong all the time…
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Wow! ::facepalm::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

All I asked was, how did someone know it had been restored/reworked, not an argument of semantics. Moderators, if need be, pull the post….. ::facepalm::
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

stockman wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:31 pm Nice knife, I would love to have one. Harold
Thank you!
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Whitneyrifle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:57 amModerators, if need be, pull the post
its been on our radar and hoping that the thread evolves into a more supportive dialogue than it has been.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Whitneyrifle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:57 am All I asked was, how did someone know it had been restored/reworked, not an argument of semantics. Moderators, if need be, pull the post….. ::facepalm::
It looks untouched to me and I’d love to know also.

It’s a great knife, I’ll bet 99.9% of collectors would have zero clue it was cleaned up
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

bestgear wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:23 am
Whitneyrifle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:57 amModerators, if need be, pull the post
its been on our radar and hoping that the thread evolves into a more supportive dialogue than it has been.
Thank you, I have been hoping the same also. I just wanted an answer as to how it could be noticed as being restored. I am not looking to sell or dupe anyone, just trying to learn.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Whitneyrifle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:50 pm
bestgear wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:23 am
Thank you, I have been hoping the same also. I just wanted an answer as to how it could be noticed as being restored. I am not looking to sell or dupe anyone, just trying to learn.
You didn't do anything wrong, WR. ::handshake::
I believe the argument is regarding the spelling of the name KA-BAR, not whether a restoration on you knife is obvious or not.
It's all good, buddy!
8)
8)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I do not see anything from the photos that would make me think that the OP knife has been worked on, other than the blade appears to have an aged patina while the bolsters are polished smooth. If you had not stated that Muskrat Man had reworked it, I would not have known.
He does do great work, and I think that is a beautiful knife!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

Reverand wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:49 am I do not see anything from the photos that would make me think that the OP knife has been worked on, other than the blade appears to have an aged patina while the bolsters are polished smooth. If you had not stated that Muskrat Man had reworked it, I would not have known.
He does do great work, and I think that is a beautiful knife!
Thank you, much appreciated!

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”