D-stamped Switchblade ID Help

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
ruccello

D-stamped Switchblade ID Help

Post by ruccello »

HI, I'm new to the forum. I picked this knife up at a tag sale recently and I can't find much information about it. I know it's got a D-stamped liner - on one side only. It's marked Made Italy, and the number 6. The knife is about 8.5" long, and the blade is about 4+ inches. The handle is horn. Bolsters are nickel. The blade has been sharpened quite a bit. This knife looks like it's been in a few fights. There are serrations on the top of the blade that look like they were added later. There are also two notches that were filed into the handle - not sure why, but I have suspicions. The blade is very sharp and pointy, and I think it was probably about 1/2" longer because of the amount of space left in the handle - about 1/2". The knife works really well, the spring mechanism is really strong. It also locks perfectly. My questions are: Should I clean this knife and polish it up? Does anyone have any more information about this knife. Any ideas on the notches on the handle? And lastly, what value you would place on it?
Thanks,
Richard
Attachments
IMG_2739.jpg
IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2742.jpg
IMG_2744.jpg
IMG_2743.jpg
IMG_2741-1.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: D-stamped Switchblade ID Help

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK. I know nothing about your knife, but hopefully Bill DeShivs will show up and answer your questions. He is the expert in this area.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

ruccello wrote: My questions are: Should I clean this knife and polish it up? Does anyone have any more information about this knife. Any ideas on the notches on the handle? And lastly, what value you would place on it?
Thanks,
Richard
Hey Ruccelo! Welcome to the forum.

If that were my piece I would leave it as is. The value is in the history more than anything else that I see, and judging by that blade shape, and purpose, I'd imagine that the owner of that knife was one mean ::censored:: !
I think I would keep MY fingerprints off of that one ::nod::

Hang around, and wait for some real info... ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
ruccello

Post by ruccello »

Thanks americanedgetech, you and I are on the same wavelength. I think if this knife could talk, it would tell quite a story. I forgot to attach this photo, which I think is the most telling about its history - the two notches in the scale.
Thanks again,
Richard
Attachments
IMG_2737.jpg
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Yeah... I had that feeling.
I can see some nut job like "The Ice Man" walking around New Jersey in the 70's just praying that he doesn't have to do IT again... today! ::pray::

I personally hate drama but that knife just LOOKS dramatic. ::bad_day::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

It's a pic lock so it was made before the 60's. Post this on talkblade.info and you'll get some answers to your questions

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”