2 Hubertus and an Italian

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Pointed

2 Hubertus and an Italian

Post by Pointed »

Hi. I just joined the forum tonight. I picked up a few autos this weekend, and I thought I'd post them here. I'm pretty new to knife collecting, so I'm looking forward to learning all I can.
I picked up 2 Hubertus, one is a camper and one is a small auto. They were bought new in the '90s by a friend of mine, and I bought them from him. The 3rd is an Italian that seems like a decent knife. Don't know who made it or if it's worth what I paid for it, but I like it . Tang just says Italy stainless .
20171210_173308.jpg
20171210_174254.jpg
20171210_174416.jpg
20171210_174648.jpg
Just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 2 Hubertus and an Italian

Post by QTCut5 »

Fine group of autos. As far as a knife being worth what you paid for it, if you like it and you're happy with the price you paid, then it is worth it. Might not be worth the same amount to somebody else, or it might be worth even more...value is subjective and difficult if not impossible to quantify. One thing's for sure...buying knives from a friend is almost always a good idea.

So, are you planning to carry and use those beautiful knives or are they headed straight into the vault to be kept pristine as safe queens? (The knife collector's dilemma. ::undecided:: )

~Q~
~Q~
Pointed

Post by Pointed »

They are in pristine condition, and I paid enough for them ($240 for all three) so it might be wise to keep them unused. Maybe I will find an example that is already scuffed up a bit to carry. BTW, the guy I got these from has 22 more (mostly Hubertus, but some italian) he wants me to buy. Theyvare all unused. Wants $2000 for all of them. I am thinking seriously about it. I have pics of all of them on my other phone. I need direction on the value. I don't mind paying close to what stuff is worth, but I don't want to pay full retail or more.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Pointed wrote:They are in pristine condition, and I paid enough for them ($240 for all three) so it might be wise to keep them unused. Maybe I will find an example that is already scuffed up a bit to carry. BTW, the guy I got these from has 22 more (mostly Hubertus, but some italian) he wants me to buy. Theyvare all unused. Wants $2000 for all of them. I am thinking seriously about it. I have pics of all of them on my other phone. I need direction on the value. I don't mind paying close to what stuff is worth, but I don't want to pay full retail or more.
First of all welcome to the forums! Always good to have new members to contribute to the knowledge. As for the pricing on the knives you have already purchased I would say you did fine.In my humble opinion the Hubertus multi-blade is likely worth what you paid for all 3 and maybe a tad more.
As for the other ones I would have to see pictures of them but at about $100 apiece it doesn't sound too far off. Just my opinion;I've been out of the buying loop for awhile now.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Pointed, Welcome! ::handshake:: You are starting off with some interesting knives. It is usually not easy to make a profit on even very good brands. It can be done, just not easily. It often requires that your initial purchase is significantly discounted. Buying knives in a lot deserves a big discount. For one thing you are saving the seller much time and effort. Often selling knives individually, for example on eBay, will get you the best return. If one tries to sell one lot to a purveyor you should expect to lose anywhere from 25% to 30% which is pretty typical. But you may lose more because the purveyor may place a lower value on your knives than you do.

Before putting down your money, I'd encourage you to do your personal research to try and determine current values of the knives you are considering. If your friend's prices are not exceptionally good, then you might buy them because you simply want them. But if you have thoughts of future sales.......well, proceed with care.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Are there any markings on the blade tang of the Italian stiletto?
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Pointed

Post by Pointed »

20171210_173541.jpg
Are there any markings on the blade tang of the Italian stiletto?
There is only "Italy Stainless"
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

I haven't come across that particular tang stamp but I'm fairly new to Italian Switchblades. You switchblade appears to be well made from the pictures. It is interesting that the pivot pin for the blade is brass as opposed to nickel silver.
It can be extremely difficult to pinpoint the actual manufacturer of Italian switchblades due to the way they were manufactured (look up Maniago cottage industry for and explanation of how many switchblades are produced.).
You might get some additional help in identifying the knife if you post a picture over at talkblade.info in the switchblade section. There are some long time switchblade collectors over there and their knowledge where Italian switchblades is concerned is quite extensive.
Or you can just be happy with your purchase and enjoy it as it is! ::tu::
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Whom ever made it or when is interesting if known but I can tell you that is the exact style of auto we used to carry as kids almost 50 years ago. They were so common that I once found a brand new shinny one of them laying on a beach at Fort Washington (Potomac River) on a 4th grade school trip.

I think they sold for about 9 bucks in the Bronx at the corner bodegas. Just for reference... cigarettes were 35 cents a pack. :lol:
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

The Hubertus are worth over $100 each so 2 grand is a good price. You might make this post at talkblade.info and get some info. on the worth.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”