Italian Switches

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Italian Switches

Post by glennbad »

Okay, I don't really come to this part of AAPK, cause I don't have any automatics.

I finally came across one. I think it fits in this thread. It doesn't have any markings. I don't know, it could be a POS, I'm sure someone will tell me.

It snaps solid.

Anyone know what I have?

Thanks,
Glenn
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You have a very rare, pre WW2 Italian stiletto! It's worth quite a bit.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very nice Glenn, and Bill is very accurate in his statement! Pre-WWII, and definately Italian made. I would say Frozolone, Italy but the brass hardware and smooth bone scales
tell me a quality made switch! Probably worth anywhere from $ 60.00 to $ 100.00 in it's current condition! Polish it, oil it, and pack it away!! By the way, this maybe a stupid staement but here goes.... Don't EVER store a switch in the closed position!! After time, the depressed spring will loose it's zing so store opened!!!!
Bobby P. CkCo...
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Good advice, always store open. ::nod::
Love all Jacks
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Yep....always. ::tu::
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
Sticks of Fire

Post by Sticks of Fire »

Bonfire bob wrote:Probably worth anywhere from $ 60.00 to $ 100.00 in it's current condition! Polish it, oil it, and pack it away!! By the way, this maybe a stupid staement but here goes.... Don't EVER store a switch in the closed position!! After time, the depressed spring will loose it's zing so store opened!!!!
Bobby P. CkCo...
No, don't polish up the brass, I can't stand that on an old Italian switchblade. Leave it old looking!
It took 60 years to get that way and you can ruin it in 30 seconds.

Check your PMs and emails.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

SOF-
I was wondering when you would be along!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Sticks of Fire

Post by Sticks of Fire »

Bill DeShivs wrote:SOF-
I was wondering when you would be along!
I thought I felt a tremor in the Force, lol. ::nod::
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Sticks of fire..very good point. There has always been the argument of keeping knives original, or make them presentation quality. You are correct if storage is the main objective. Materials like brass and nickle silver will always oxidise and eventually dull during time. Personally, since most of my knives are in glass contained display cases, I have chosen to put a lite buff on the brass and N.S., but this is something I chose to do, and in not neccessarily the choice of others. My friend here brings up a very good point and I respect and appreciate his input. Many collectors will polish blades and clean the knife up in general but this will only bring down the actual value of a knife in "ORIGINAL CONDITION". This is why I applaud my friends suggestions. Oiling the joints and opening and closing the blades is definately a good idea..
This is why I love this site because all opinions and suggestions are here for the reader.
Thank you sticks of fire for elaborating on my suggestion; we all appreciate your thoughts.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Thanks for all the replies. You all have been very helpful. It's funny, most knives that don't have any markings tend not to have much value. I just happened on this by chance. I was purchasing a used Gerstner chest from a guy in my state. He asked if I was a machinist. I said no, that I use the tool chests to store knives. He said hold on, and came back with this knife and a Girl Scout knife. I had no idea on value and offered him $40 for the pair. He accepted. :D

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Glenn
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

looks like a real cool knife Glenn ::tu::
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Yep, words to live by Glenn! ::nod::
Love all Jacks
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Glenn, it's funny how some story's are very common! I'm sure your all familiar with the very old "fruit knives". I not talking about the long, white serrated and none serrated stainless fruit like Colonial's # 701, and it's smaller partner, the #601. I'm talking about very old strange little knives that usually had designs on the covers and had two blades. One master blade and one strange little blade that looked more like a pick than a blade!
These knives were used, mostly by the wealthy, and they used the blade to actually sliced the fruit, and they would use the pick blade to remove seeds from the fruit!! Well,
99% of these knives were made out of stearling silver!! Yup! With the exception of the springs they made these from silver because it wouldn't rust!!!
I started collecting them at flea markets, yard sales, anywhere I could! Folks didn't know what these were so often I would buy them for 8, 10, and 12 bucks!!
Unfortunately the need for cash forced me to sell the dozen or so I had. I got $ 350.00 for them all!! And this was 25 years ago! DAM, I wish I still had them...
And this is the story of the day from Bobby P. ::undecided::
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Glenn, I didn't see a picture of that girl scout knife??
Post it again if you please..Thanks, Bobby..
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Bonfire bob wrote:Hey Glenn, it's funny how some story's are very common! I'm sure your all familiar with the very old "fruit knives". I not talking about the long, white serrated and none serrated stainless fruit like Colonial's # 701, and it's smaller partner, the #601. I'm talking about very old strange little knives that usually had designs on the covers and had two blades. One master blade and one strange little blade that looked more like a pick than a blade!
These knives were used, mostly by the wealthy, and they used the blade to actually sliced the fruit, and they would use the pick blade to remove seeds from the fruit!! Well,
99% of these knives were made out of stearling silver!! Yup! With the exception of the springs they made these from silver because it wouldn't rust!!!
I started collecting them at flea markets, yard sales, anywhere I could! Folks didn't know what these were so often I would buy them for 8, 10, and 12 bucks!!
Unfortunately the need for cash forced me to sell the dozen or so I had. I got $ 350.00 for them all!! And this was 25 years ago! DAM, I wish I still had them...
And this is the story of the day from Bobby P. ::undecided::
Is this the type of knife your talking about? This one is MOP without the pick blade.
Attachments
Vintage MOP 015.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Bonfire bob wrote:Hey Glenn, it's funny how some story's are very common! I'm sure your all familiar with the very old "fruit knives". I'm talking about very old strange little knives that usually had designs on the covers and had two blades. One master blade and one strange little blade that looked more like a pick than a blade!
Bob:
Check the "Knife Lore" forum here and on page 2 you will find a long post about silver fruit knives along with some great pictures.I have a couple dozen of these;some with carved pearl scales and even one with gold plating on it.Title of the post is,"Silver fruit knives...the golden age".Check it out when you get a moment.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

I will check it out, thanks! That silver blade, MOP is beautiful! This knife is definately in the catagory we're talking about!
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Here`s an Italian " button lock" stiletto thats kind of cool 8) vs the picklock and bolster release ones ....1960s with horn handles and swedge blade and nickel hardware ....rostfrei over # 4 stamp ::tu:: ImageImage
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very nice toy wiseguy! Nice shape too!
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Thanks , here`s one that`s no toy .....Enjoy !
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Never seen one exactly like that......very Sweet. ::tu::
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Greetings wiseguy!
You know what you've got there, don't you?? (I wish I knew what was on the tang; please tell us). ::pray::
This is a push button Big Game hunting knife!! The big, sharp blade and saw were ment to gut and cut the tuff viens, asafocuss, (spelling!), and all that hard material up near the throat. All of you hunters out there like myself that have gutted and cleaned a deer or bear, you know what I'm talking about! The big givaway is that "U" shaped tool up near the top of the knife marked "16"....That tool is meant to extract a 16 gage shotgun shell out of some of the older guns that didn't have automatic shell ejectors...
This baby is in beautiful shape and if it was mine, I'd never part with it..
I hope I helped with some details you may noy have been aware of!
Bobby P CKCo..."Cutler 4-Ever".... ::tu::
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

You are correct Bonfire B .....and its about to get used on a buck that keeps eating my dang plants 8) Its made by Venier cutlery in Maniago Italy , the other side has a 12g shell puller .
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very cool knife!! Dual purpase shell extracter and you can clearly see the lever on the reverse side. The old brake barrel side by side shotguns did not have extractor's!!
With the automatic push-button opening feature, this knife was the one to carry with big game hunting!
Wicked nice piece...if you ever consider selling it, call me first!
Your friend, Bobby P. CKCo..."Cutler 4-Ever"... ::woot::
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

PM sent 8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”