switchblades

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Speaking of Switch Blades, I found that most of the Assisted Open

Knives manufactured today all open much faster then the Push Button

Models ::nod::
Attachments
Camillus AO's.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have a few switchblades, none of them scanned.................................................................................
BUT is you want to talk assisted openers...............That is a whole new thread. ::tu::
I could definitely contribute there. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Hey! Dale; Go For It! ::tu:: I consider AO's a close

relative to the Push Button, something like maybe a Half

Brother! :mrgreen:
Attachments
MADD MAXX 2.jpg
MADD MAXX 2.jpg (61.82 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

OK then,

I'll go for my favorite half-brother, sometimes outlawed as well...but not here in Aridzona.
Attachments
Ken Onion Kershaw BLACKOUT.jpg
Ken Onion Kershaw BLACKOUT.jpg (4.67 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I started a AO thread, now I have to start scanning.
Mitch & Bill, how about posting some of those AO's over to the new thread

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

OK. Ok. Ok. I am in need of enlightenment O masterful one/one's :lol: Pray tell what is the difference between a "Switchblade", a "Button Knife", an "Automatic knife", and an "Assisted Open" knife ::shrug:: Forgive my sincere ignorance.
K.B.
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) OK! This explains an AO Knife.

An assisted-opening knife is a type of knife which uses an internal mechanism to open the blade from a closed position when slight pressure is applied to the thumbstud or the flipper.[1]

When the knife is in the closed position, the blade is held in place by means of 1 or 2 torsion bars. As the user applies manual pressure to the thumbstud to open the knife, a mechanism such as a torsion bar moves along a track in the liner and rotates the blade into the open position.[2]

Although commonly confused with switchblade knives, there is a difference. While a switchblade can be opened usually with the push of a button, the user of an assisted-opening knife must apply some pressure to the blade at the thumb stud or flipper.

Because the blade does not open by the push of a button or force of gravity, the Assisted Opening mechanism is normally not considered a switchblade.[3] Once the knife has been opened about one-quarter of the way (45°), the mechanism opens the knife the rest of the way. [4]Some people also refer to these and switchblades as "angel blades" depending on what their base looks like. ::tu::
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

here is a hammer I got today. I'll probably clean the blade up some
Attachments
7-4-07 057.jpg
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) And this explains a Switch Blade.

A switchblade (also known as automatic knife, switch, or in British English flick knife), is a type of knife with a folding blade that springs out of the grip when a button or lever on the grip is pressed. Switchblades are illegal weapons in many jurisdictions.

Overview of designs
There are two basic types of switchblades, side-opening[1] and out-the-front (OTF). A side-opening knife's blade pivots out of the side of the handle (in the same manner as an ordinary folding knife).[2] An out-the-front knife's blade slides directly forward, out of the tip of the handle. There are two types of OTF (out the front) knives: double action and single action.

Double action OTFs allow the user to extend or retract the blade with the press of a sliding button. Spring tension in these knives is actually provided by the movement of the button, which makes them much safer to carry since they will not open accidentally. However, the extra force the spring requires can also make intentional opening more difficult.

Single action OTFs[3] require the user to retract the blade manually and compress the spring. Because they often use a lever to compress the spring, stronger springs can be used. This makes them open more vigorously than the double-action type[4], and allows them to achieve tighter lock-up.

The word stiletto may sometimes be used in American English to refer to a switchblade whose blade comes out of one end of the handle. However, the side-opening switchblade should not be confused with the butterfly knife (balisong), assisted-opening knife, or the non-automatic stiletto.

Switchblades are often cheaply made; however, there are a fair number of knife companies and custom makers who build high-quality automatic knives for military, emergency personnel, and for knife collectors. Some famous automatic knife manufacturers include Microtech[5], Protech[6], Benchmade[7], Dalton[8], and Piranha[9] and then of course Italian manufacturers such as Frank Beltrame, whose family has been making automatics for over 50 years. Classic Italian Stiletto Swichblade

Because they are illegal in some places, one variation of the switchblade is a dual-action design that allows the user to manually open the knife as though it were a manual (and legal) folding knife. Often, the trigger for such knives is hidden in a grip panel, requires the user to squeeze or twist the handle in a certain fashion, or is hidden in some other manner.
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Thanks for the pictures, Lt, and everyone! It's true, they should be legal.
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

Mitch, thank you very much! I can't believe it took me 2 days to find your reply! ::shrug:: Must have been the whiskey! :lol: :lol: I blame a lot of stuff on that! :shock: Very informative. Thank you, Kelley
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Kelly; Your welcome! ::tu:: There is a lot more wriiten on this topic

but I think this is enough info on the different types of Auto's.
malextwo

Post by malextwo »

Here's a Z McCarty w/Ivory I've had for a while. Kick pretty good. Mike
Attachments
107891_Z_McCarty_Ivory_Auto_004-1.jpg
107891_Z_McCarty_Ivory_Auto_004-1.jpg (13.11 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Very Nice! An Auto with Ivory Handles. ::tu:: ::drool::
justold52

Post by justold52 »

MITCH RAPP wrote:8) Very Nice! An Auto with Ivory Handles. ::tu:: ::drool::
A BIG 10-4 on that.

To me she looks like some file work on her too... ::nod:: ::mdm::
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Here is one I think a lot of. It is a Hunters Pride by Schrade Cut Co.
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co Hunters Pride .JPG
Schrade Cut Co Hunters Pride .JPG (33.55 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Paladin; Very Kool! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Thanks, Mitch. Here is the Fisherman's Pride, not an auto but a nice companion the the Hunter's Pride.
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co Fisherman's Pride .JPG
Schrade Cut Co Fisherman's Pride .JPG (30.29 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Awe man,

That McCarty is flat out awesome... ::nod:: ::drool:: ::drool::

Here is a knife I had in my hands and was too freakin' weak to pull the trigger (as it were!) on...beautiful blue Mammoth and Damasteel.....

Bill
Attachments
Whiskers Allen Bolster Release.jpg
Whiskers Allen Bolster Release.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
Theo

Re: switchblades

Post by Theo »

Here are mine ; The stilettos are 11 in and 13 in
Attachments
The top two I have had for years both are marked Stiletto Italy—— The bottom one not to crazy about it , my brother got it for me this year , I hate the opening and closing mechanism
The top two I have had for years both are marked Stiletto Italy—— The bottom one not to crazy about it , my brother got it for me this year , I hate the opening and closing mechanism
This I do like and my EDC KERSHAW 7800
This I do like and my EDC KERSHAW 7800
My new store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/theo

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice group Theo! ::tu:: I have a few similar stilettos in my collection that I just love, but no kriss blades. I've had one of those leverlocks for a couple of years that I got from China, and although I do like the action I too don't care for how they set-up the lever release. It was poorly designed by having the lever sit so low in it's channel that it's difficult getting your thumb under it in order to lift it and thus push forward to release the blade. I tried bending the lever a bit to make better access for my thumb, but it's still awkward. It was very inexpensive so I use it for "click therapy" and spare the springs on my better models. I just got a Kershaw Launch 8 that I'm totally impressed with, but your 7800 is the bomb! Show us all ya got! 8)
8)
Theo

Post by Theo »

That is the problem with it, and my brother probably got it from someone who didn’t like it also. If you figure out something on that lever let me know, thanks
My new store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/theo

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Just what I stated Theo, try taking a pair of pliers and grip the edge of the lever and bend it up a bit until you see it sitting higher than the channel it falls into after use, cuz if you get it to bend that's really all that's needed to get your thumb under it easily. I don't know about your copy, but the one I got was CDN$18./shipped so they're not very high quality knives that are likely most useful as a "click therapy" piece. Although they're inexpensive they were designed well and for what it is I have no complaints! Good luck! 8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Couple of Launch 8s
IMG_20220923_125318934.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice Sam! Those Launch 8's really bit you, huh? I totally get it, they're great knives. Never seen a Damascus model, where did you find it? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”