Coltellerie Zoppis vintage La Vespa switchblade

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
SouthernMan

Coltellerie Zoppis vintage La Vespa switchblade

Post by SouthernMan »

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen (and ladies where appropriate)

Up front, I am not a knife guy, but in search of information concerning a vintage Coltellerie Zoppis La Vespa switchblade that was passed down to me by my father.

Let me tell the story; my father was retired Navy (Master Chief) and aboard the first Allied ship to enter Tokyo Bay prior to the Japanese surrender. Later, sometime in the 1950s, he was aboard ship on a cruise through the Med off the coast of Italy. A seaman returned aboard ship and was caught in possession of a switchblade knife. The blade was confiscated and (somehow) wound up in my father's possession.

My father has since passed and I was thinking about handing the blade down to my son, so I pulled it out from the drawer where it's been hiding for decades and spoke to a local knife maker about cleaning it up and making repairs to one side of the knife which has deteriorated slightly due to it's age.

Before I handed it over, I started searching for information on the Internet and rapidly came to the realization that this indeed appears to be a rare knife. In fact, I have been unable to locate any other photographs of this knife - and can only find vague references to it - as if it's a myth.

I did turn the knife over for cleaning, however no repairs or sharpening have been made to this blade. The knife was cleaned - that's it.

Once cleaned, I contacted Coltellerie Zoppis in Milano, Italy directly, sent photographs, and was blessed to receive an email from Elena Zoppis herself confirming the authenticity of the knife as their manufacture.

I have sent out several inquires trying to find a ballpark figure on what this knife may be worth - for my own curiosity, insurance value, or possibly to even offer the knife for sale.

The details are this: the overall length is 11.75 inches. The blade is carbon steel and 5 inches in length. The handle is ox horn (one side of which has deteriorated about 1 inch due to natural causes).

The knife is in perfect working order.

This is an original, authentic, Italian switchblade.

Any assistance in tracking this down would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
clean blade 72 dpi.jpg
LaVespa 72 dpi.jpg
FRJ

Re: Coltellerie Zoppis vintage La Vespa switchblade

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here, SouthernMan.
I can't help you with your knife but I think someone will be along to help you.
Thanks for showing your nice knife. ::tu::
Joe
SouthernMan

Post by SouthernMan »

Thank you, Joe.

This appears to be something unique. The knife maker who cleaned it had a fit over this knife. He appreciated having it in his possession to the point of not charging for the cleaning - and giving me a nice zip case to store it in.

SouthernMan
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Zoppis is a retailer in Milan, Italy.
Your knife was made in Maniago, Italy.
The handle is not ox horn- it's cow horn.
The knife is uncommon, but not particularly rare.
Value is $350-$450 retail.
It's a nice family heirloom.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
SouthernMan

Post by SouthernMan »

Yes, Bill, it is a nice family heirloom. And at your estimated value, should that turn out to be correct, that's what it will remain. Although I said up front I'm not a knife guy, that's why I'm bringing this blade to AAPK for comments and evaluation, I haven't come here without doing as much due diligence as possible.

Yes, the knife was made in Maniago, however, today, Coltellerie Italiane Zoppis HQ is in Miliano, Italy, which is who I contacted. Maybe I'm reading the address wrong, my Italian ain't so good. http://www.coltellieforbicimilano.com/

As for being a reseller, that may be true today I don't know, but in this knife I'm referencing the manufacturing arm of Coltellerie Zoppis in the 1940/50 era.

From what little I've been able to find, it's probable this La Vespa was produced before the CIZ ( Coltellerie Italiane Zoppis) stamped tangs of the 1950/60 era, which appear to be quite valuable. http://autoknife.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2479

Based on it's known production date, the La Vespa was produced before (or in tandem with) the Latama stamped knives intended for export out of Italy to the US.

My understanding at this point is, the knives were made by Coltellerie Italiane Zoppis, but stamped Latama for export. (Probably not how it's done today.)

Is it possible the knives stamped La Vespa were only intended as domestic products? Remember, this knife was acquired in Italy.

You say the knife is uncommon, but not rare. However you'd care to define it.

I haven't been able to find another one anywhere on the Internet. That's why I'm here.

Anyone else have one? Please, I'd like to see it. I'd love to have one to compare. The knife I have is gorgeous, has weight, and feels significant in your hand! I'd really love to see one in even better condition. I bet it was fabulous in it's day!

I did find a smaller version online with a La Vespa stamp, but the stamp was parallel to the blade and not horizontal like this one. Nor close to it's size.

I said in my opening that I've been in contact with Coltellerie Zoppis and I was fortunate to receive an email response, not just from the company, but from a Zoppis family member.

That response:

R: Vintage La Vespa switchblade
1 of 1 4/28/2017 7:04 PM
Subject: R: Vintage La Vespa switchblade
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:55:41 +0200
To: Me
Dear Xxxxx
Yes it is our production (years 1940/50)
Handle: ox horn
Blade: carbon steel
Imported in USA by Latama
Kind regards
Elena
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Xxxxx [mailto:me.com]
Inviato: venerdì 14 aprile 2017 07:11
A: info@cizcoltellerie.com
Oggetto: Vintage La Vespa switchblade
Dear Sirs,

I believe I may be in possession of a vintage switchblade knife made by your
company circa 1940-1950.

The knife is approximately 11 and 3/4 inches in length with a 5 inch
bayonet-style blade stamped "La Vespa."

I've searched the Internet for information concerning this knife and found
only vague mention of it - as if it's a myth.

If your company indeed manufactured this knife, could you please pass along
any information concerning it's history, and construction material,
particularly the handle. Over time, one side of the handle (believed to be
buffalo horn?) has slightly degraded.

I have had the knife professionally cleaned, however no repairs have been
made to the handle.

I am including a photograph of the knife with this email.

Thank you for your time and any help you can provide.

Sincerely,
Xxxx Xxxx
Alabama/USA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know I'm writing a book here, but I'm in search of some background – I already have some provenance - and I hope you guys can help. Someone has to know the production schedule for these original, classic, switchblades from Coltellerie Italiane Zoppis.

Based on what I've seen, dates for switchblades carrying the CIZ stamp (Coltellerie Italiane Zoppis), began about 1947.

The Latama stamped knives (for export per Elene Zoppis) were produced before the CIZ.

That means the La Vespa may have been produced before, or in tandem with, Latama, but could have been intended as a domestic product for Italy (Europe), and not to be exported to the US?

Remember, this particular knife was not exported. It was acquired in Italy.

Maybe I have all this wrong, that's what I'm here to find out.

Does anyone know where this knife fits into the progression of production? Or whether it was perhaps intended only for domestic use?
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Early Zoppis knives may have been assembled from Maniago-made parts, as I know someone who purchased antique parts from them.
But most of their production was made in Maniago proper. Zoppis has always been in Milan, BTW.
Using autoknife.com for value references is a big mistake. His pricing is ridiculous and he makes up his own "facts."
Your understanding about Latama is completely unfounded. Zoppis had nothing to do with manufacturing Latama knives. Latama's history is well-known.
As far as rarity, several have been through my shop. Any 1950s picklock is "rare," but in the collecting world these knives are seen more often than you think.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
SouthernMan

Post by SouthernMan »

Upfront, I said my Italian wasn't good.

Okay, I think I'm starting to follow this. Latama has always been a stand alone company, and Zoppis produced their own knives, but used Latama to export to the US through their license. Latama was a middleman.

So was this La Vespa produced before Zoppis started using the CIZ stamp - somewhere around 1947?
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I am the sole authorized Latama repair shop.
To my knowledge, Zoppis was in no way involved with Latama.
Latama did their own production in Maniago and Frosolone.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
SouthernMan

Post by SouthernMan »

I came here today to delete or edit my previous posts, but I see I can no longer do that.

I'd like to thank Joe for his warm welcome when I first arrived. That really gave me the impression I was in the right place to find information concerning this unique knife. It is a family heirloom and I'd like to know more about it. You need more people like Joe.

Admitting I am a novice to knife collecting, and only being able to find limited information on the Internet, I expected my assumptions and speculations concerning this knife to be inaccurate and incomplete. I did not however, expect to be talked to in authoritative bullet points like I'm taking up space where I don't belong. I really feel as if I've been talked down to.

I'm just a guy with a really cool knife enthusiastically looking for information.

There has been no discussion concerning this knife - only Bill's expert opinion - and it's as if others here are reluctant to voice an opinion or join the conversation. I can see why. Several people have viewed this thread and there's certainly been opportunity.

I came here openly, friendly, and in search of information. As an admitted novice concerning knife collecting, I'm leaving with the impression the world of knife collecting is an exclusive club where novices are tolerated, but not necessarily welcome or encouraged to "join the club."

I hope Newbies who come here in the future have better luck, but won't if they receive the same reception.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If correcting your assumptions and inaccuracies is "talking down" to you, then I'm guilty.
You asked for information and I gave it to you. You have a nice, collectible knife.
Sorry if I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
georgyboy

Post by georgyboy »

hi; i don't think bill or anybody else here is 'hi-hattin' you,just trying to give you accurate honest information,he is a very knowledgeable 'stand up'guy'who has no vested interest in giving you b.s. info. Give it to your son-good luck-george
Bilbartoy

Post by Bilbartoy »

I have an old knife Marked CIZ I listed it on Ebay it belonged to a collector who passed away.I am not an expert however I have been told it is valuable. It is Lauderdalesales one word on Ebay. Might be what your looking for or if you have anything to add please do,like I said I am not an expert
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

It is a beautiful example of a mid-century, made in Maniago, Italian Picklock Stiletto. (La Vespa translates to "The Wasp" in Italian). Keep it clean and well-lubricated and enjoy your antique.
BG The Man

Post by BG The Man »

🤘🏻 NICE!
SL3990

Post by SL3990 »

Been searching for info on this one by La Vespa as well . Was left behind in the house we moved into
Attachments
46670023-4E74-4C10-A2FD-861BCE5D8F45.jpeg
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Again, your knife was made in Maniago, and sold by Zoppis in Milan. The handle is cow horn.
I don't know who made it, but these knives were available through mail order retailers in the US in the 1970s.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery