I am buying a Stag scaled AKC Speed Hunter

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Captain O

I am buying a Stag scaled AKC Speed Hunter

Post by Captain O »

On another forum, a friend arranged for a seller to show me some pocket-carry amenable automatics. I spied an AKC Speed Hunter and on Saturday morning, I'll be sending him the money through Pay Pal to purchase this little gem. 8) ::ds:: This 3" drop-point bladed auto should make a nice sports jacket pocket carry knife. ::tu::

Opinions?
kootenay joe

Re: I am buying a Stag scaled AKC Speed Hunter

Post by kootenay joe »

Captain i have not heard of this knife or of "AKC". If you post a picture you will get more answers.
Is this a knife you plan to EDC or will it be a dedicated hunting knife, for flesh only ?
kj
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Man those are some cool looking knives, congrats. ::tu::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I've been eyeing the AKC Slimline or an AKC Bill DeShivs Leverletto for a long time. The stag-handled look really nice, although I have to say I'm a bit more drawn toward the dark or honey horn.

Is the one you are buying a single blade like this? I think they also make versions with 2, 3 & 4 blades.
https://www.bladeplay.com/item--AKC-Spe ... ag-1--2372
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I've been eyeing the AKC Slimline or an AKC Bill DeShivs Leverletto for a long time. The stag-handled look really nice, although I have to say I'm a bit more drawn toward the dark or honey horn.

Is the one you are buying a single blade like this? I think they also make versions with 2, 3 & 4 blades.
https://www.bladeplay.com/item--AKC-Spe ... ag-1--2372
That's the very knife. A single-blade, drop-point knife that lends itself to EDC. (Yes, I'll be putting a razor's edge on the Speed Hunter and putting it into my carry rotation). This should be a nice dressy companion in either my slacks or sports jacket pocket.

I love these knives and they are great in "polite" company. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"I love these knives"
Captain have you owned an AKC auto knife ? Is there any blade play in the open position ?
kj
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

kootenay joe wrote:"I love these knives"
Captain have you owned an AKC auto knife? Is there any blade play in the open position ?
kj
I own an AKC Fishtail Picklock that was produced in 1997-1998. It has Cocobolo wood scales and has a tiny bit of side-to-side blade wiggle. That's it. Their lock back autos have a good reputation for stability and general utility.

The 2 and 3 blade Speed Hunters have a deer gutting blade as well as a double sawtooth/bottle opener blade. The 2 blade model has the saw/BO blades outside of the automatic drop-point, lock-blade. The single blade version is lighter and more svelte than the 2 and 3 blade variants. The latter tend to need belt pouches to facilitate carry. The 3 blade is great in deer camp because the button-tipped gutting blade can be sharpened and used to run up the belly of the bagged game without piercing organs that will taint the game's flesh. This is the primary purpose of the blade, hence the name "Speed Hunter". I am happy to put this knife into my carry rotation. I generally carry three knives.

a) a Case Yellow Delrin Cro-Van bladed "Peanut", and
b) a Victorinox "Rambler".

The AKC Speed Hunter is a 3" blade drop-point knife that takes up a tad more real estate than the others but can come in handy when a larger blade is desired. I'm going to rotate this with my Ganzo autos and my Buck 898 Impact Auto.

Life is good.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a Ganzo 719; deploys fast and absolutely zero play when open. The problem this creates is if i buy another brand auto and there is even just a 'titch' of play, i would be disappointed.
kj
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

kootenay joe wrote:I have a Ganzo 719; deploys fast and absolutely zero play when open. The problem this creates is if i buy another brand auto and there is even just a 'titch' of play, i would be disappointed.
kj
I, too, own the Ganzo 719-BK and carry it regularly I also own a GT Knives OTS "California Legal" pocket auto. ::tu:: I enjoy rotating my larger pocket carry knives and have a Ganzo F7582-BK (Firebird with Black G10 scales and a Ganzo G-7471-BK coming through FastTech. These are inexpensive and great knives, but I can greatly appreciate my AKC Speed Hunter. These are extremely well engineered and handy knives. From Bill DeShivs, I learned that these knives will hold a decent edge for pocket carry and should be both handsome and versatile. The Ganzo line is marvelous but other knives work well to have a place in my pocket.

I kept selling the Italians short for the very reason that you mentioned. I know better now.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Captain, thank you for the comparison you give with the various Ganzo knives. I find it very helpful and i do understand that knives from different manufacturers have different 'personalities' that can only be known by handling the knife.
Do you get any of your auto knives through or from Bill DeShivs ?
kj
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I haven't any of the Leverlettos, nor have I bought any knives from him. However, I have been discussing the AKC Speed Hunter and my 20-year-old NOS AKC Fishtail Picklock. Bill told me that I shouldn't bother attempting to replace the blade on my Fishtail Picklock in order to replicate my late father's pre WW2 11" Latama carbon steel Fishtail Picklock.

I don't much go for polished steel blades because they will eventually be marred while being used. As of late, I have become "disenchanted" with decorative knives. My parents grew up during the Great Depression. This taught me that most of the items that I purchase should have a purpose. The utility of such artifacts is important. If I can't use a knife and extract some intrinsic value from it, I'm not really interested. I'm a bit of a "practical pig" when it comes to such things.

That's just me.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

My Speed Hunter arrived this morning and I couldn't be happier! The knife is incredibly tight. Let's go down the checklist:

Blade: Sits straight and deep in the handle. No blade "peek" and is shiny, clean, and sharp.

Scales: Beautiful Stag that is perfectly mated to the brass liners and holds the slide button safely and securely.

Slide safety: Works perfectly. (It is even a bit tighter than it should be).

Blade play: Virtually nonexistent.

FIring mechanism: Very firm. (no unintentional openings in the near future or the forseeable future).

Blade lock: Tight, no discernable movement under pressure, yet can be handily released by depressing the spine release button.

Firing spring: Fires hard, but not abusively. The spring "sings" as the blade snaps open. You can't mistake this "metal music" with that of any other knife.

Fit & finish: Excellent. If kept lubed and cleaned, I can see no troubles with the mechanics.

It is so good, I can't help but sing it's praises to anyone that's interested. If you want a good "pocket" auto, look no further. You'll be happy with your purchase because it will be money well-spent. ::tu:: 8)

p.s. One of the scale pins protrudes more than the others, flattening the tip out would perfect the knife, avoiding pocket snags and such.
stagnut

Post by stagnut »

I have 2 stag Speedhunters One is a first run the other I got just for edc
Very nice knives imo
Attachments
20191008_134137_resized.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Captain 0 how about a picture of your fine new knife.
kj
stagnut

Post by stagnut »

Hi All, just received a gift of 2 sets of liners with the button/sear attached. 2 sets of stag scales with the safety slot cut and safeties installed. Even got the top bolsters. I made the back spring, blade and kicks print and even file worked the blade and back spring. I drilled the hole in the bottom so you can out a lanyard in. After I drilled the bolsters and liners I put a piece of brass tubing and peened the ends. I'm not satisfied with the blade I made at all.
It wound up being short and more of a clip blade than drop point.
I'm not new to repairing or converting switches. But I'm brand new at making blades. Ill post pics if anyone's interested let me know. Take care. Stagnut
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Does anyone know of a seller who has any single blade Speed Hunters in stock (like pictured or stag scaled)? I keep seeing "out of stock" everywhere I've looked..
Attachments
Screenshot_20210215-064134.png
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I could be wrong but I don't think they are still being made.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Ok.. thanks 👍.. if anyone has one for sale or trade, I'm interested.. thanks again..
Ryan

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I think Sam is correct about that Ryan, even 3knives.com which is an AKC distributor don't have any, and, where you can usually leave your email address to be notified when knives are back in stock isn't being offered for that knife. If I hear of one for sale I will surely let you know! 8)
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Keep an eye on the sharperdeal auctions site, they pop up there sometimes. Good luck and don't give up!
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Thanks fellas!👍👍👍🤝🤝🤝
Ryan

DG Ralph

Post by DG Ralph »

Those are very nice knives. I admired the multi-blade versions when they first came out, but thought they were a bit too expensive. Now the prices are at least double. Enjoy the knife and hang onto it.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”