Help Benchmade Question

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help Benchmade Question

Post by gsmith7158 »

Fantastic Nick. Benchmade continues to impress! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Brian_R170

Post by Brian_R170 »

TazmanTom18 wrote:They might reprint the blade, but... I had on that one of the "legs" by the button broke. The two little "legs" become the return springs for the button. I returned it through a Benchmade dealer and it was return, like I sent it, with no explanation. A phone call to them informed me there were no parts available. That was it. Commonly they offer a credit on another knife to replace it with. They didn't do that either. According to them the autos bring around 250-300 now as only about 10-15% were autos. I eventually fixed it with a top scale from a $6 copy, it fit perfectly with no adjustment. I love the knife, buffed it to a mirror finish, and carry it everyday in a leather slip pouch salvaged from a small Buck. Thanks for letting me vent. Taz
Funny, I had the exact same thing happen a couple years ago. I sent a 3100 Benchmite back to Benchmade because the thin part of the scale that acts as a spring for the button was cracked on both sides and had lost most of the spring tension. I added an explanation and a zoomed-in photo with the cracks circled in the box I sent to them. It came back sharpened and oiled, but with the same broken scale. As it happened, I had a manual 310 Benchmite that had been on my keychain for several years and lost two of the scale screws, so I just used it as a donor.

As I recall, the auto 3100 was a "Black Class" model made in the USA and was availalble from about 2002-2005. Street price was around $60. The manual 310 was a "Red Class" model made in Taiwan and was available from 2006-2009 with a street price around $30. The auto and manual had different blade steel and a different blade shape to allow for a nail nick on the manual. I bought 4 of the 310s from BladePlay (now Grindworx) in 2009 for $17 each when they were being discontinued. I bought them to see if they could be converted to auto using the spring from the $4.00 Asian Benchmite clones available at the time, and they certainly could, but unfortunately, the springs were thinner, so they fit loosely, and they were poorly made and didn't last long.
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

I'm not glad you had that issue, but at least it's not just me...(This time, lol). Taz
Chuck D

Post by Chuck D »

And now it's in my pocket! Everyday!!! Thanks Nick!!

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”