Help Benchmade Question

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Nick

Help Benchmade Question

Post by Nick »

I found this knife years ago, had no idea what it was, it was cool, but I am mainly interested in knives older than myself. Anyway, it’s a neat little knife works amazing and I understand, because I have read about Benchmade quality. The poor little knife has a broken tip, so I tossed it in my coin drawer.
Ha ha, the other day I was looking at Adams, I think it was, I could not believe it. Maybe I am wrong, so help me out here, someone. Here is my take on the knife. It was made about ten years ago, it is a discontinued item. When it was manufactured it retailed list for around $189.00 (really ?). The Benchmade model # 3100 is their miniature California legal switchblade.
OK- that’s what I think, but I wonder. Can someone tell me the reality of my knife??
And, the BIG question is: Can the blade be ground back to a tip, or is it too hard?
Thanks for your help, I am ignorant when it comes to new stuff, and I have a hell of a lot to learn about the old knives, that I think I know about. Ha ha.
Attachments
CB765D66-BD7C-4174-920C-30E0E026BA72.jpeg
F51F0202-3817-4C17-A6AB-FD28C9FD4434.jpeg
DEA7CC04-C180-4BB4-906E-B00E5FCB2FC3.jpeg
756C6F37-37DB-435E-B169-7BC7C42AC08A.jpeg
———————————————————
Thanks -
Please visit:
Knicks Knives & Things Store
AAPK Class of 2013
https://allaboutpocketknives.com/nick
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help Benchmade Question

Post by Railsplitter »

Nick, I believe it's a Benchmade Benchmite. At any rate, contact Benchmade and see what they have to say. I've heard they have a good customer service department but I have no experience with it myself.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Nick I recently sent an Ellishwhite flipper back to Benchmade. It was discontinued in 2005 and the blade tip was broken similar to yours. They had no replacement blades but reground the existing one beautifully for no charge. Their service and repair department is top shelf. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Wow !! Thanks men- that’s what I’ll do give them a call and report back-
Thanks again
———————————————————
Thanks -
Please visit:
AAPK Class of 2013
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Nick wrote:Wow !! Thanks men- that’s what I’ll do give them a call and report back-
Thanks again
Nick just go to their website and print out the repair forms, fill them out and package everything up and send it to them. They'll send you an email when they receive it. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Filled in and done
Thanks
———————————————————
Thanks -
Please visit:
AAPK Class of 2013
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

They might reprint the blade, but... I had on that one of the "legs" by the button broke. The two little "legs" become the return springs for the button. I returned it through a Benchmade dealer and it was return, like I sent it, with no explanation. A phone call to them informed me there were no parts available. That was it. Commonly they offer a credit on another knife to replace it with. They didn't do that either. According to them the autos bring around 250-300 now as only about 10-15% were autos. I eventually fixed it with a top scale from a $6 copy, it fit perfectly with no adjustment. I love the knife, buffed it to a mirror finish, and carry it everyday in a leather slip pouch salvaged from a small Buck. Thanks for letting me vent. Taz
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

Should have read "regrind", damn spellcheck.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I filled out their return form and added a letter asking if they can grind the tip back. Ha ha I put a $10 bill in with my letter and Knife. Told them I really loved the knife and keep the money for helping me.
Let’s see what happens.
I will keep you posted and then we can have another real life experience with Benchmade customers service. On the forms they said turn around is about two weeks and they cover the postage.
———————————————————
Thanks -
Please visit:
AAPK Class of 2013
Nick

Post by Nick »

Just to keep this thread going, today I received an email from Benchmade, they are breaking down the knife ,to I guess give it a tune up, cleaning, and they are going to repair the blade to a point. I am super impressed with the customer service. Will post pictures when it arrives they said a two week turn around and to send it in the future for sharpening or cleaning. I never knew this knife was manufactured with this type of quality. I am not educated at all about modern knives or manufacturers. I am very impressed with Benchmade quality and service.
———————————————————
Thanks -
Please visit:
AAPK Class of 2013
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Benchmade Rocks! No doubt in my mind. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting little knife! For those who don't know,the names on the blade(Bill McHenry and Jason Williams)are a father and (step)son team that work out of Wyoming Rhode Island and are also responsible for the design of the Axis Lock. I had the good fortune to purchase one of Jason's knives(his 14th)that he made when he was just 19 years old many years ago.Both he and Bill make some incredible knives.Here is a pic of the knife.
Attachments
JW99.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Wow that is cool. Thanks.
———————————————————
Thanks -
Please visit:
AAPK Class of 2013
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well it’s October 4 and I just received the package from Benchmade. What an amazing job. They repaired and broke down and lubed and cleaned. I am very happy and impressed with this company. See photos of new knife. ALL for free ! Lifetime warranty on a knife I found, amazing.
Attachments
5161100E-A5B2-402C-8EEA-F866A210ABF9.jpeg
54064D2D-30C8-41AB-8E73-9A4175A5A88F.jpeg
———————————————————
Thanks -
Please visit:
AAPK Class of 2013
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

That's great, Nick! Great service and a reasonable turn around time. Good on you for sending it in. ::tu::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Fantastic Nick. Benchmade continues to impress! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Brian_R170

Post by Brian_R170 »

TazmanTom18 wrote:They might reprint the blade, but... I had on that one of the "legs" by the button broke. The two little "legs" become the return springs for the button. I returned it through a Benchmade dealer and it was return, like I sent it, with no explanation. A phone call to them informed me there were no parts available. That was it. Commonly they offer a credit on another knife to replace it with. They didn't do that either. According to them the autos bring around 250-300 now as only about 10-15% were autos. I eventually fixed it with a top scale from a $6 copy, it fit perfectly with no adjustment. I love the knife, buffed it to a mirror finish, and carry it everyday in a leather slip pouch salvaged from a small Buck. Thanks for letting me vent. Taz
Funny, I had the exact same thing happen a couple years ago. I sent a 3100 Benchmite back to Benchmade because the thin part of the scale that acts as a spring for the button was cracked on both sides and had lost most of the spring tension. I added an explanation and a zoomed-in photo with the cracks circled in the box I sent to them. It came back sharpened and oiled, but with the same broken scale. As it happened, I had a manual 310 Benchmite that had been on my keychain for several years and lost two of the scale screws, so I just used it as a donor.

As I recall, the auto 3100 was a "Black Class" model made in the USA and was availalble from about 2002-2005. Street price was around $60. The manual 310 was a "Red Class" model made in Taiwan and was available from 2006-2009 with a street price around $30. The auto and manual had different blade steel and a different blade shape to allow for a nail nick on the manual. I bought 4 of the 310s from BladePlay (now Grindworx) in 2009 for $17 each when they were being discontinued. I bought them to see if they could be converted to auto using the spring from the $4.00 Asian Benchmite clones available at the time, and they certainly could, but unfortunately, the springs were thinner, so they fit loosely, and they were poorly made and didn't last long.
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

I'm not glad you had that issue, but at least it's not just me...(This time, lol). Taz
Chuck D

Post by Chuck D »

And now it's in my pocket! Everyday!!! Thanks Nick!!

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”