Frank B. 11" Automatic Stiletto - Poor Quality or Fake?

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Frank B. 11" Automatic Stiletto - Poor Quality or Fake?

Post by herbva »

I would appreciate any and all opinions on a Frank B. 11" dark horn stiletto I just received from Direct Knife Sales (aka RNK direct sales). As soon as I opened the package I noticed a few things about the fit and finish that I am not happy about. This is my first adventure in buying a brand new automatic stiletto and first for this brand and am just concerned about the product I received. Please let me know if you think I am being too picky and everything I mention is OK, or if indeed I have been conned. In order of the attached pictures:

1. The "Frank B." tang stamp is so weak I can hardly read it.
2. There is a huge gap between the brass liner and the back of the spring and you can see right through the knife. Also, in this picture, you can see that edge of the horn scale is full of "open potholes". Everywhere else the horn is smooth.
3. One of the pivot pin heads has either not been finished off or these is some kind of a washer half sticking out.
4. The edge of the front scale that is cut out for the bolster release mechanism was left rough/not finished off.
5. It came in a crappy little plastic bag without a box or anything.

I did weigh the knife and it is on spec at 140 grams. Thanks for your time and input.

Best regards, Herb
Attachments
DSCN9574.JPG
DSCN9567.JPG
DSCN9571.JPG
DSCN9573.JPG
DSCN9578.JPG
DSCN9579.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
samb1955

Re: Frank B. 11" Automatic Stiletto - Poor Quality or Fake?

Post by samb1955 »

Unless it was shipped to you from Italy I'd send it back.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

If you keep it I doubt you will ever be happy with it.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I have had a couple of Frank B and they are real nice nothing like what you show .I would send it back
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree with doglegg, it has so many issues that even if it is authentic you will never feel a sense of enjoyment from owning it. I say return it and find another dealer who carries these knives. I would not purchase a second item from anyone who sent me a new knife in that condition.
kj
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thanks for all of your input. You are correct, I will never be happy with this knife. "Direct Knife Sales" says that I have to talk to Frank Beltrame about my issues, the almost nonexistent tang stamp is indicative of a genuine knife, and the flimsy little plastic bag is the way they come from the factory. (I have never purchased any kind of new, quality knife new that didn't at least come in a cardboard box with the company's name printed on it. Not that I care about the little cardboard box, but this is just another red flag for me.) Needless to say, I will not be doing any future business with Direct Knife Sales (aka RNK direct sales).
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

From what I understand these knives are hand assembled by different people on a assembly line. They probably have a rate to get out so anything goes. There are people that can repair it but it may be expensive. Bill Deshivs or Muskrat Man are on this forum and they do repair work. Sorry to see you got the shaft and I have seen worse, good luck with it.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your knife is genuine.
Since you can't return it, I suggest you sell it and buy something else.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thanks Bill. I am glad to hear that and I was thinking the same thing. I do want to try Frank B. first, just to see if they care. If you have a contact there that you think I should I should try, I would appreciate that. Best regards.

Herb

Herb
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

herbva wrote:Thanks for all of your input. You are correct, I will never be happy with this knife. "Direct Knife Sales" says that I have to talk to Frank Beltrame about my issues, the almost nonexistent tang stamp is indicative of a genuine knife, and the flimsy little plastic bag is the way they come from the factory. (I have never purchased any kind of new, quality knife new that didn't at least come in a cardboard box with the company's name printed on it. Not that I care about the little cardboard box, but this is just another red flag for me.) Needless to say, I will not be doing any future business with Direct Knife Sales (aka RNK direct sales).
Seems to me like the seller should be responsible for the knives he sells. He should give you a refund and he should deal with Frank Beltrame, just my opinion.
youngrik29

Post by youngrik29 »

I’ve purchased two Frank Beltrame 11" Switchblades (dark horn and blonde horn) that I am particularly pleased with from myswitchblade.com:
https://www.myswitchblade.com/

I got a poor quality Frank Beltrame 9” from Grindworx.com that had good enough customer service to let me return it:
https://www.grindworx.com/
5AB002BA-F3EE-4C34-9AB9-BE3431B56E2E.jpeg
Good luck with future acquisitions!
youngrik29

Post by youngrik29 »

herbva wrote: "...the almost nonexistent tang stamp is indicative of a genuine knife”
Their statement about the almost nonexistent tang stamp is hard to believe but actually true. I’ve had three that were definitely not Fake.
Frank B's quality is inconsistent.
0D1D3452-7683-4E6B-94E9-204782E4320B.jpeg
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

My knife also has a very weak tang stamp, but otherwise the quality is good.
And yes, It also came in a crappy little plastic bag without a box or anything :roll: .
Attachments
Frank Beltrame S23B.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Glad to read it's at least the real deal, Herb. Now happiness is a much harder thing to resolve . . .
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I know nothing about these.
Are they typically good quality.
No offense meant, but the OP looks like a POS.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm a bit late on this post Herb, but, I purchased 2 older 11"- Frank B's from a collector, 1/dark horn scales, and 1/white pearlex scales, and the stamp on both is quite faint, but I know for a fact that they are genuine. The 2 knives I bought are both in far better condition than the 1 you purchased, even though they are older. The comment stating that these are inconsistent builds is 100% accurate, as I was told the exact same thing. I purchased an 11" AGA Campolin that arrived in less than ideal shape, rather weak firing and lock-up, and when I mentioned this to the seller, he said, "That model is notorious for having weak springs" and, "Italian knives are built by 80 year old men who don't see as well as they use to, or whack the rivets like they use to, and it all depends on how much wine the builder has drank prior to working on the build, as to how the knife will turn out"! I'm sure you have acted on the solution to your problem by now, but I'm in total agreement with selling the knife and replacing it with a better quality piece. Once you've fired a quality auto, and heard it "sing" open, you'll be hooked for life! Just my 2 cents! 8)
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”