Shapleigh Hardware Push Button

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Shapleigh Hardware Push Button

Post by hardman »

I recently picked this up. I have collected knives a long time, and always wanted one of these old autos. From the patent dates on the back of the tang, I surmise this knife was made by Schrade. It has patent dates of Feb 13, 1906 and February 23, 1907. The front tang reads Shapleigh Hardware with a diamond shape that has a "DE" embedded. I assume that stands for Diamond Edge. the knife measures about 4 7/8" long closed, and the blade is about 3 3/4" Nice green/brown handles with only a single crack on the pile side. I assume the blade has been polished given its shine and some rounded edges on the swedge. The action works extremely well for its age. and the safety lock works well too. There is a little up/down play in the blade when in the open position.

While I have a lot of knowledge in other areas, this is new ground for me. Can anyone tell me any more about this knife? Age? Anything at all would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
20190526_192502.jpg
20190526_192443.jpg
20190526_192408.jpg
20190526_192334.jpg
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Shapleigh Hardware Push Button

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wow that looks great! The bone is outstanding. I know little to nothing about these old Schrade switches but I do know a good looking knife when I see one. ::tu:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Page 57, Schrade CutCo Catalog E.
switch001.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Nothing about that knife I don't like. Great bones and condition. A switch. Wow! ::tu:: ::tu::
clockman

Post by clockman »

Hello, Hardman, clockman here. Your switch was indeed made by schrade. the model # is A11 Hunter. Knife appears to have been buffed but that is ok. Still a good switch. Your patent dates make this an earlier one, probably late twenties or early thirtys. Blade also is pretty full. enjoy!,best regards , Randy
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Those are very nice knives. Yours besides being buffed on the blade and the bone handles is missing about 1/8 inch all along the cutting edge and the choil has been re-cut to make the blade look more normal. The Shapleigh marked ones are harder to find than the Schrade marked ones by a long ways. Definitely a cool knife.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

Thanks for all the information, folks! I know my way around traditional pocket knives and their values, but this purchase was outside my wheel house a bit. I have always wanted one of these older autos, but had no experience to rely on when it came to buying. So I took a flyer when the price came down to what I hoped was about right. And you are all helping me learn more about what I have. Thanks again!

Several years ago a friend gave me a very old Press Button Knife Company auto with a Swing Guard. It does not open very well, the soring appears quite weak, and has considerable blade loss. But my friend has since passed, so I will be holding on to it as well. It still has great bone handles. Next time out with camera I may snap a picture and post it here.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Really nice for its age, probably worth some money too.
Nick

Post by Nick »

That is a great knife you got there. I love the jigging on these early models. I have posted my three Diamond Shapleighs, if you notice the bone on my hunter was repaired. It’s not as nice as yours, the scales are almost like new on that one. I am told the Diamond Shapleigh Hunters Pride I posted is quite a good find, especially with the factory bail. Thanks for sharing.
Attachments
Diamond Shapleigh- Hunter Pride/Business/ Hunter
Diamond Shapleigh- Hunter Pride/Business/ Hunter
———————————————————
Thanks -
Please visit:
Knicks Knives & Things Store
AAPK Class of 2013
https://allaboutpocketknives.com/nick

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”