Auto knife storage

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Bill DeShivs

Re: Auto knife storage

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I take a little offense to that.

Implying that I am giving misinformation to make money is a total insult. I don't need, nor do I want any more work than I have now. If I never repaired another knife, I would be just fine. Anyone who really knows me understands that. There are people who have been putting skulls on knives and building fakes for years-apparently they do need the money.

For the last 25 years or so, I have been giving repair advice very freely on the Internet. Your implication is offensive.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Now now fellas, let's try to not be steppin' on each others toes! I'm sure that with all the years he has dedicated to this hobby Bill has learned a little something about metal composition and strengths, and is likely why he feels so strongly about "it doesn't matter", and for all the years I've been reading his posts this opinion hasn't changed, but regardless of the "why" he is entitled to his opinion without being insulted, as we all are. On the other side of the coin, anyone who feels adamantly that "it does matter" is equally entitled to their opinion without being insulted, as we all are. I believe what has happened here is some feelings got ruffled because their statement was contradicted and as a result some unnecessary comments were posted and some feelings got stepped on. We're all big boys and girls here and we need to remember that and act accordingly. I personally am an "open" guy, but I certainly respect others who strongly feel "closed" is the correct position. Life is way to short to be wasting time on petty stuff like this, we all need to try to learn to get along, without insult or rancor! Peace brothers! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Madmarco wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:58 am
Folgore1 wrote: not sure who these experts are lol its not rocket science you definetly would want to keep them in the open position to keep tension off of the spring and other parts of a auto knife , i too have had several break in the closed position so from my 40 years experience with auto knives i would say store them open or take risk of the spring getting weak over time and possibly breaking due to tension on it all the time . in 40 years i been collecting all my automatic knives are stored in open position and always have been .. hope this helps :D
t_id=1009884 tim
::welcome:: to AAPK F1! ::handshake:: Thanks for relaying your experiences regarding the open/closed controversy. I have been collecting autos for only a very short time but have so far acquired 48 models, and from Day 1 I've kept them open on display. It just made sense to me that ANYTHING under constant tension would wear out quicker than the same item not under tension. BTW, is that your AAPK store that has the all-metal trap-door stiletto for US$1000.? ::shrug:: That's one cool knife I'd love to own as well as a copy of the "Hellraiser" auto, but my pocketbook just doesn't allow it! ::facepalm:: If you've been collecting autos for 40 years you must have some beauties in your personal collection, and if so we'd love to see them posted in pictures! ::nod:: ::pray:: ! 8)
Well said Marco!! ::tu::

Folgore1;
When you joined AAPK you agreed not to post anything off color, derogative toward another AAPK member, have even veiled sexual content, could it have been offensive to anyone, considered vulgar, abusive, slanderous, slanderous, threatening or that created conflict and chaos among our members.

AAPK is a place of learning, discussion and friendship. But if someone shuts other members down by calling them names or making accusations or insinuations that they cannot prove that defeats the purpose of AAPK.

Bottom line: membership in AAPK is a privilege, it is not a right. To retain that privilege you must play by the rules and be nice. If that is not something you can do, then AAPK is probably not the forum for you.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
LittleAugieMo

Post by LittleAugieMo »

Have several automatic knives and Bill has worked on both autos& fixed blades for me. As to how I store mine?? Some open and some closed

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”