Some of my autos!

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some of my autos!

Post by Madmarco »

Now, to your answer Mark! For that particular knife, or any "swivel bolster" model, the "ears" are essential for closing the blade, and for fingerguards. Next to impossible to close the blade without them, although, one could always close it as a "picklock". See my answer I posted to (John) Red Rider, just prior to this one. The "ears" have always been there to protect your fingers, since stilettos where primarily stabbing weapons, not cutting weapons, so when one would stab someone, if the "ears" or fingerguards weren't there, your fingers could slide forward onto the blade and cause injury. Starting in 1962, I believe that's the year, the builders transitioned over to "swivel" models. I think a lot of people think that the "Icepick" look(earless)is pretty cool, and they build models of stilettos called "Icepicks" just for that reason. I too believe that the knife rides much better in your pocket, without having "ears", since there's less edges to catch on. I would love to have that knife as an "icepick", but it would be a little more difficult every time I wanted to close the blade! When I post my last auto on Saturday, you guys will see an example of a true "Icepick" model, although, you've already seen it Mark! Hope this helps! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This knife is an identical copy of the Frank B that I posted yesterday, other than the black scales, and, it's totally unmarked! It's one that I purchased in a 5 knife deal with a seller/collector friend of mine. When he sent me pics and descriptions of his knives, he stated that although this knife has no markings, it appeared to have come from the same house as the model with the white pearlex scales, and being unmarked made it a true bad-ass stiletto! It's an 11" swivel bolster stiletto/SS bayonet blade/bolsters/button/and safety, brass liners and pins, and jet-black dark horn scales. It fires hard and fast, and locks-up tight with zero blade play! This knife feels and operates exactly the same as the model I posted yesterday with the white pearlex scales, although, not having any markings whatsoever makes me wonder exactly who built it. It was also purchased 35 years ago, and seeing as it operates so well, I would lean toward it being a Frank B, but, without any markings I doubt I'll ever know for sure. Another really nice Italian auto! 8)
WIN_20200624_11_43_28_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks for the explanation mark. I like the way you showed how it works. I have no experience with this type of knife, that is helpful.
This last one is my favorite. That has a very sleek look. Really nice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thank you, Mark. ::handshake::

And that blade on your most recent post looks very nice. It's like they put more emphasis on the blade than on the handle. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for the kind words Mark! I learn more and more everyday about these autos, and if I can help anyone who's not understanding the mechanisms, I'm more than happy to do so, IF I know! And yes, that black knife is also one of my favorites, cuz it feels nice and slim in my hand, and operates flawlessly! With the Italian knives it's many times hit-or-miss, and I feel quite fortunate that the ones I own all seem to be hits! I recently read some information regarding a knife not having any markings, and it stated that some knives that weren't meant for export, or, just meant for domestic use, are sometimes not marked, so that's a very likely explanation why this last knife I posted has no markings. Like I said, more and more everyday! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You're welcome John, my pleasure! The blade on that knife is the standard bayonet style, and some builders will modify it to a little bit different style, although, I try to always buy my knives with a dagger blade since I much prefer that style, but for the 5 knives I got from my friend I had no choice since they were pre-owned. That's not to say I don't like them, I just mean that if I have a choice, I will always go with the dagger grind. And it's so true that some knives look like the emphasis was put into the blade, and not the scales, but we must remember, "variety is the spice of life"! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Good afternoon guys! This knife is 1 of my top 5 knives, and is the last of my current lever-locks. I got this knife from my seller in the US who's willing to send me the blade separately from the body, in order to accommodate Customs. As it turned out, it was necessary to completely dis-assemble it to get the blade off. I kindda liked that though, since it gave me the opportunity to see the internal workings of the knife, and re-assembly was quite simple. It's an AGA Campolin "Zero" model, and has just recently been joined by it's big brother the "Zero+", which measures 1 1/2" longer, and is on my radar to purchase. This model is an 8 3/4" lever-lock/SS coated black dagger blade with blood groove and false top-edge, SS satin-finished bolsters, SS liners lever and screws, jet-black G-10 scales, and pocket-clip, although, I removed the clip and replaced it with the supplied shield as seen in the pic. I absolutely adore this knife! It snaps to attention with authority when fired, and locks-up tight as if it were a fixed blade knife, and, has no blade play whatsoever. These Zeros operate on 2 removable leaf-springs, so, should 1 or both break, it's a simple matter of prying out the broken pieces and popping in the new ones. Ingenious idea! This knife is rather heavy, which I really like, and can likely be attributed to the SS liners, and almost feels like you're holding a small paring knife since it's so slim. The blade is fired by slipping your thumb under the lever located just below the top front bolster and pressing forward, and is closed in the same manner. This is one of those knives where it's quite easy to slide your thumb under the lever, because they made the lever channel deep enough to do so, not like some that are very difficult to get your thumb under. A very well designed and thought-out automatic knife! 8)
WIN_20200625_12_22_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200625_12_23_04_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hey guys! I had what you would call a lousy day. It started early with me sending money to the wrong PayPal address, spent hours trying to correct the mistake, and finally did, after dealing with PayPal's ridiculous messaging system. I consider myself quite lucky considering the recipient could have simply kept the money, but fortunately he was a stand-up guy and returned it immediately, WHEW! Then I got a letter from Customs informing me they had seized a knife I had ordered due to it being an auto. No threats of fines or jail, just that I wouldn't be getting the knife. It was the very last cheapo that I had ordered back in March, and Customs had only got to it on May 5th., due to a huge back-log of packages they are facing. And, they are just informing me now, June 26th. I half expected it would be seized, but it was cheap, so I took a shot! Things didn't get a heck of a lot better after that, but I muddled through it. That's why I'm posting later than usual. Now, today's offering! This knife is #2 on my list of favorites, and is one nice auto! It's an Exiled Cutlery 10 3/4" picklock stiletto/SS modified bayonet blade, NS satin finished bolsters, NS button with skull+bones stamp, SS liners, brass pins, screw+barrel pivot for easy adjustments and shipping, no safety, and gorgeous Zebrawood scales! There is a skull atop crossed cutlasses etched on the blade, but otherwise no markings. Weighs-in at a hefty 10 oz.'s. Custom built in the US by Reuben "Chad" Blades. It fires with that ever so satisfying "crack" that I'll never get tired of, and locks-up tight with zero blade-play. Was my favorite knife, until I received the one I'll post tomorrow, but I still really like this one, hope you do too! 8)
WIN_20200626_18_18_20_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I like that Mark. Zebra wood is one of my favorites. That looks like a great knife. Sorry about the rough day.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks buddy! Of course, the picture doesn't do those scales justice, in person they're awesome! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well fellas, this knife is the last of my current collection, and is, without a doubt, the crown jewel of my knives! It came from my US seller, and seeing as it has a fixed pivot, was sent to me doctored to give the appearance of a fixed blade knife. It's an 11 1/4" Sons of Italy Omerta Icepick lockback stiletto/SS 5mm modified bayonet blade riding on roller-bearing washers, solid brass squared bolsters and button, brass pins, 5mm 1-piece heat-blued back spring, jet-black ABS scales, and no safety. Has "Sons of Italy" etched on the blade, and a king's crown atop "OMERTA" stamped on the front tang. There's so much solid brass on this knife that it weighs nearly 12 oz.'s. Custom built in the US by Reuben "Chad" Blades. When I hit that button it twists my wrist, because the spring is so powerful, and lock-up is absolutely solid with no blade-play! With this knife in-hand one feels like they're holding a half-sword, not a knife! Words can't describe how much I like this knife, in fact, if I could sleep with it I would! Don't mind me, the 2 of us just wanna be alone now! I have many more knives to post, although not on this particular thread, but once I receive other autos I'm ordering, I'll post some more. Thanks for all your generous comments guys, they're much appreciated! 8)
WIN_20200627_10_56_25_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200627_10_57_11_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Spectacular Mark. You did save the best for last. What a beautiful knife, so slim and sleek.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you Marko, I really do love this one! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, I got this nice little surprise in today's mail, and I was particularly pleased since I was unsure if it would get to me due to it being an auto, but after the seller packaged it the way I had requested, the package wasn't even opened. I purchased this one from a store called "The Ganzo Factory Store", and whether it's a clone or not, it's a solid little auto. I've wanted one of these Ganzo knives ever since I first saw them online years ago, and now I finally own one. This one is the Ganzo F7212BK model, and it has a 440C SS drop-point blade, SS bolsters, screw construction, jet-black textured G-10 scales, adjustable pivot, nearly flush firing button, no safety, pocket-clip, and lanyard hole. There is, what is very likely the Ganzo logo and registered trademark etched on the front blade, and "F3KNIFE" as well as "Made by GANZO" and "F721 440C" etched on the back blade. I'm guessing it weighs about 4 oz.'s. It arrived razor-sharp, and fired fast and hard, but after I applied a couple of drops of Quick Release oil it really flies open with silky-smooth action. It was suggested to me by samb1955 to purchase one of these knives in an earlier post, because I was told I'd really like them, and I'm glad I finally did! Great little knife, and, inexpensive! 8)
WIN_20200805_10_43_40_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200805_10_43_56_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Mark, that looks like a great all around user. Very practical blade on that and it looks great.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! I only wish I was younger and still out-and-about more often like I use to be, so I could carry it and use it, because this one really would make for a great EDC! 8)
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

One of my edc rotation knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm sure it's perfect for that Sam! It was actually your previous recommendation that helped me finally pull the trigger for one, that and I finally found a site where they weren't "Sold Out", so thanks for the endorsement! 8)
8)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have several Ganzo automatics and don't have a gripe with any of them. In fact, I've recommended them to several people.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking auto, Madmarco, and I have a bunch of your posts to catch up on. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

They sure do seem to be nice little knives Jerry, I hope to own a couple more in the future too! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks John! Be sure to take a look at the posts you missed, because you'll see some great knives! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I somehow overlooked this Leverletto clone that I've had for quite some time. I know it's a clone because it came from China, but clone or not, it's a solid well-built knife. It's 9 " OAL/SS single-edged flat-grind blade with 30% swedge on the tip, brass accented bolsters and pins, SS liners and lever, and dark horn scales. Nice weight at about 5 oz.'s, and arrived sharp. Has the "Leverletto" and "AKC/Italy" etches on the blade and tang. This one cracks open with authority, and locks as tight as a fixed blade. There's a removeable pin that holds the spring in place, and this is very convenient for spring replacement, should the original break. The knife opens/closes via the lever. Paid about 1/2 the price of the original! 8)
WIN_20200830_21_06_35_Pro.jpg
8)
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Paid 1/2, got about 1/4 of a real one.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You do realize that In own the US copy rite to the name "Leverletto." don't you?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery