Some of my autos!

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Some of my autos!

Post by Madmarco »

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and couldn't find a thread specifically for pictures, so I figured I'd start a new one and post some pics of pieces I currently own. If I'm in the wrong place or should be doing this on a different thread, please delete this thread and fill me in on where I should post my pics! I'll post 1 a day, or as time permits. This first knife is my most recent acquisition, and is not particularly new or special, but since autos are strictly prohibited where I live, everyone that I successfully receive is very special to me. This is the Pro-Tech "Godfather" in the really "plain jane" version. I say this because I have seen some souped-up versions that have asking prices of US$600. and up, and this one only ran me $255./delivered. A fair part of that price is for the delivery, due to what is required to get these knives to me. It's 9 1/4" open/SS 154-CM spear-point bayonet blade with false top-edge, jet-black aluminum scales, torx or allen pivot and body screws, recessed button due to no safety(I don't care for safeties), coil-spring fired, light weight, and pocket-clip which I immediately removed because I don't care for pocket-clips almost as much as I don't care for safeties! It has the "Pro-Tech" logo sitting over "USA" etched on the front tang, and "154-CM" etched on the rear tang. This piece fires hard, and locks-up solid with absolutely zero play. Any knives that I acquire are strictly for collection and "click therapy" purposes, but if I carried a knife everyday, this one would be in-the-running! P.S.-Kindly forgive me being in the pics, but I only have the camera that's built into my laptop, and I need 1 hand to hold the knife, and 1 to click the picture! Mark! 8)
WIN_20200611_13_22_14_Pro.jpg
8)
FRJ

Re: Some of my autos!

Post by FRJ »

Welcome Madmarco.
Nice knife and nice picture.
I like autos too. I have one Pro-Tech. I can't carry it. This state will send me to prison if I get caught carrying the deadly "switchblade".
I feel humiliation almost daily from spinless, bed wetting politicians telling me what I can and can't carry in my pockets.
Looking forward to more of your pictures.
Joe
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hey thanks for the warm welcome Joe! I know exactly what you mean, here in Communist Canada they are reducing our rights on nearly a daily basis. ::facepalm:: The latest infringement is rifles. If it doesn't meet very stringent guidelines, it has to be voluntarily surrendered, and if you don't give it up, they will eventually come to your door and take it, and likely you with it! ::watching_you:: Here's a good laugh for you, I own an Umarex P .08 Parabellum Luger BB pistol, that of course shoots BB's, but, I can't own a REPLICA non-shooting model! Where the hell is the logic in that?! ::shrug:: Plus, my government saw fit to legalize marijuana, but God forbid I own a knife that opens with 1 hand! These nitwit politicians are still lost somewhere in the 1950's, and just can't seem to get over the image of James Dean holding an auto in some long forgotten movie! ::dang:: I'm sure you're enjoying your Pro-Tech, I had no idea they were as nice as they are until I fired mine! Great knives! ::ds:: Here's a pic of my Lugar, now if that doesn't look like the real deal, I don't know what does! Mark! 8)
WIN_20200611_18_56_52_Pro.jpg
8)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:24 pm Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and couldn't find a thread specifically for pictures, so I figured I'd start a new one and post some pics of pieces I currently own. If I'm in the wrong place or should be doing this on a different thread, please delete this thread and fill me in on where I should post my pics! I'll post 1 a day, or as time permits. This first knife is my most recent acquisition, and is not particularly new or special, but since autos are strictly prohibited where I live, everyone that I successfully receive is very special to me. This is the Pro-Tech "Godfather" in the really "plain jane" version. I say this because I have seen some souped-up versions that have asking prices of US$600. and up, and this one only ran me $255./delivered. A fair part of that price is for the delivery, due to what is required to get these knives to me. It's 9 1/4" open/SS 154-CM spear-point bayonet blade with false top-edge, jet-black aluminum scales, torx or allen pivot and body screws, recessed button due to no safety(I don't care for safeties), coil-spring fired, light weight, and pocket-clip which I immediately removed because I don't care for pocket-clips almost as much as I don't care for safeties! It has the "Pro-Tech" logo sitting over "USA" etched on the front tang, and "154-CM" etched on the rear tang. This piece fires hard, and locks-up solid with absolutely zero play. Any knives that I acquire are strictly for collection and "click therapy" purposes, but if I carried a knife everyday, this one would be in-the-running! P.S.-Kindly forgive me being in the pics, but I only have the camera that's built into my laptop, and I need 1 hand to hold the knife, and 1 to click the picture! 8)WIN_20200611_13_22_14_Pro.jpg
I look forward to seeing more of your autos.
I feel sorry for our Canadian neighbors and our American brothers in the liberal democrat/commie states where they infringe on your God given rights.
Thank God for the great Hoosier State where we can carry automatic knives and firearms.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK! We can only carry semi-autos here in Virginia.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Nice Mark. I know you have some very nice auto’s. Look forward to seeing them.
I’m afraid that if they try to take away our guns in this country there will be a war. At the very least armed resistance will greet them at the door.
Mine won’t go peacefully, that I can guarantee.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and great comments Dave, RedRider, and of course you Mark! ::tu:: In one regard I'm pleased to have brother-in-arms with the ownership and carry problems, but on the other hand, I wish we had all the freedoms we deserve as law abiding taxpayers. ::td:: You guys in the US are gaining more knife rights on what seems like a regular basis, although, as some of you stated, some places are still waaaaay behind the times, by still placing strict rules on what you can own and carry. Take a bit of solace in the fact you don't live in Canada, where we have the feeling that we are all just sheep, being led to the slaughter by some backwards, and possibly unstable leaders. ::facepalm:: When Justin Trudeau was running for Prime Minister, I thought it was a really good deal, ::ds:: with him being somewhat younger, and hopefully more progressive than the usual old drunken farts that usually run, but, unfortunately, he is proving to be just as bad as the others. Don't know what it is about politics that seems to ruin otherwise cool people. Sorry bout the rant, I just get pissed when I think about it! :x Now, done to business! I fully realize that this is the "Switchblade" forum, but you guys all seem really cool, and I don't know if you read other threads or not, so I want to show you a pretty cool knife that I just received this morning, in case you don't get to see it when I post it on the correct thread. It's a CRKT "Psych", with their "Glide-Lock" system. Don't mistake this for their "Rolox" system, as the 2 are completely different. For anyone who's seen this already, sorry to bore you with it, I'm just posting it for anyone who may have not seen it before. It's 8 3/4" open/SS dagger blade with blood groove and jimping on the top false edge, SS bolsters and screws, G-10 scales, and "Glide-Lock" opening/closing. It has the "CRKT" logo etched on the front, and, "Psych" and "STEIGERWALT DESIGN" along with the patent # etched on the back. CRKT discontinued this piece because, in their own words, "it didn't meet our stringent quality control standards", so who knows, it might be valuable someday! Fortunately, I'm to old to care about such things, but when it finally goes to my benefactor, perhaps he will pick up some quick loot for it! Hope ya like it guys! 8)
WIN_20200612_14_21_31_Pro.jpg
In this 1st pic the knife is fully closed.
WIN_20200612_14_22_11_Pro.jpg
In this 1, the button that's situated between the 2 screws has been depressed, and the top bolster pushed up with your thumb.
WIN_20200612_14_22_33_Pro.jpg
I have swung the entire bolster sideways, much like you would use a "flipper" on an assisted knife.
WIN_20200612_14_22_45_Pro.jpg
This pic is just showing the progression of the opening process.
WIN_20200612_14_23_10_Pro.jpg
This is the fully open position, but, the top bolster hasn't been pulled down to complete the locking process.
WIN_20200612_14_23_56_Pro.jpg
And finally, this one shows the knife in it's fully open and locked position! Cool huh! Please stay tuned for more auto pics! Mark!
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is my contribution for today! I figured I'd start with my cheapos, and work my way up to my quality models. These 2 came as a lot, from DHGate.com, and only ran me US$32. for both. As with any knives I've received from DHG, the most expensive part of the deal is the shipping, because, it's necessary to dis-mantle them and send the blades in a separate package, so they don't get seized and destroyed by Customs, since it's not illegal to import "parts". What I do with those "parts" is up to me, and of no concern to Customs. On a couple of knives I've received in this manner, they haven't operated as well as they would have, had they not been taken apart, since, as we all know, some knives are not meant to be dis-mantled after completion. I've had to tweak some of them quite a bit to get them to operate smoothly, but, I'm satisfied with the results overall! Now, the knives! They're both 8" open Lever-Locks/SS dagger blades, SS bolsters liners and levers, all screw construction, black and white ABS scales/faux abalone inlays, and pocket-clips, but, we all know what I did with those! These knives are 2 of the models that didn't come up to par when I re-assembled them, although, they both still fire pretty hard, with solid lock-up, and a small amount of play. I've had them apart enough times trying to get them just right, so the screws are somewhat worn, and I don't want to risk stripping them with any further adjustments. Had I just paid the flat 32 bones for them, I'd be more than pleased with their operation, but since I had to pay high shipping fees, I sorta wish they were perfect! Never mind me, just my OCD acting up! Enjoy! Mark! 8)
WIN_20200612_15_38_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200612_15_39_12_Pro.jpg
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for posting and I find the issues you have to deal with interesting. One thing for sure, if you have to reassemble the knife, you get a good feel for how it works. ::nod::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yes, that's for sure RR! By needing to do a few re-assembles, it prompted me to take a shot at an AGA Campolin Maltese lockback, that arrived in less than ideal condition. The opening was kindda weak, and, the lock-up didn't feel as secure as I would have liked. When I mentioned the issues to the seller he said, "that model is notorious for having weak springs, and, with Italian autos, it all depends on how much wine the builder drank prior to working on the knife, as to how it turns out". I decided I would never be satisfied with the way it operated, so I took it apart and started to make changes. Keep in mind I am not a builder or mangler by any stretch of the imagination, simply a collector and enthusiast. Along the way, due to making mistakes, I discovered exactly how these knives work. I bought and built new scales, installed a new catch-sear, rocker arm, and a customized button, as well as a screw and barrel pivot, and pins. Due to my inexperience it didn't turn out very well, so I tore it down again and started over. The 2nd attempt showed improvement, but only because I didn't make the same mistakes as the 1st time. It still wasn't what I wanted, so I tried a 3rd time. Again improvement, but still not tight and solid. It's currently in pieces again, and I'll take another run at it eventually. The best part about the whole deal is the experience and knowledge I've gained, and it's caused me to make some minor changes and adjustments to some of my other knives with complete success! Plus, it's a ton-of-fun! Thx for your reply, Mark! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Here's another cheapo, but great for "click therapy"! This knife has a bit of a story attached to it. I got it on ebay, and in the pictures the seller provided, there was no button or safety, that old chestnut! I even messaged the seller prior to buying, just to make sure it was a manual, because I knew that if it was an auto I'd lose it to Customs, and he assured me it was a manual. When it arrived shortly after ordering, I opened the box, and to my complete surprise it had a button and a safety! Needless to say that seller is no longer selling on ebay! The parcel hadn't been inspected, likely due to it being a bubble envelope as opposed to a box, because all the literature I've read claims that Customs inspects envelopes far less often than boxes, on the assumption that envelopes contain less valuable items, so they won't be able to charge as much duty and taxes. Who knows! Anyhow, to the knife! It's 9" open including skull-splitter/SS single-edged dagger blade with blood holes, aluminum scales with what appears to be a gangster stamped into them, all screw construction, safety, coil-spring fired, skull-splitter, and non-detachable pocket-clip, although, I snapped it off and ground down the rough edge because, I DON'T LIKE POCKET-CLIPS! ::td:: This little beauty fires really hard with a satisfying "crack", and locks-up solid! Cost me all of $14./delivered, and as I stated, perfect for "click therapy" because, I can fire it over and over and not have to worry about breaking the spring, cuz if I do it's no great loss, or, I can tear it down and install a new one. Pretty nice little auto! ::tu:: Mark! 8)
WIN_20200613_11_58_33_Pro.jpg
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Good deal! ::groove::

That CRKT Psych, the second one you posted, how well does it lock up? I'm always interested in the odd, one of a kind type knives. Thanks. ::handshake::

John

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

The "Psych" locks-up very well John, as long as you're sure to pull the bolster down fully until you hear it "click" into the lock slot. If you haven't pulled it down far enough, or firmly enough, it's REALLY loose and sloppy, so that's the indication you haven't completed lock-up successfully. If done properly, it is as solid as a fixed blade. It's by no means difficult, you just have to experiment a bit until you're use to the mechanism and fully understand how it works. It's a discontinued model, so if you want one you should probably act on it quickly. Lots of sites have it, but, they're usually sold out, and don't be fooled by any site that tells you they will notify you when it's back in stock, because they never will, since they can't get anymore! I got mine on ebay from seller "caledon2", and he also has a Canadian store with them in stock. He had 4 left after I bought mine on June 1st/20. I would search ebay for other sellers in the US, but if you can't find any, they have them at www.cuttingedgecutlery.ca , which is a Canadian site, and not www.cuttingedge.com , the US site. I think they have them there also though. Mine cost me US$97./delivered, and of course I found them at cec.ca 2 days later on sale for CDN$102./delivered! Also take a look at today's "Mail Call" thread, and you will see a very cool 12 1/2" folder I posted today, that is also quite unusual! Mark! 8) PM sent!
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Got you PM and replied. Thanks for the info, Mark!

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You're very welcome John! Mark. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Here is today's offering, and this one has a bit of a story behind it too! I was browsing knives on a well known site and came across a seller in France selling these inexpensive coil-spring fired models. I was just about to move-on, but decided to read some of his reviews first. I read one from a Canadian customer, and it was for an OTF, hence his review. I PM'd him and he told me he had received 3 separate orders for autos successfully from this seller in the last 3 months. Now, this info got my attention, but I wasn't overly excited because, prior to discovering the shipping "loophole" I had 4 separate orders for autos, from 4 different sellers, seized and destroyed by Customs, so I had a strong suspicion that I had been "Red Flagged" by Customs, and that ANY packages addressed to me were being inspected. I also messaged the seller asking him what his success rate for shipping autos to Canada was, and he said, "98% successful"! The total order including shipping was CDN$26. so I decided to take a chance. Low and behold, 1 week later, I opened the box, and there was this knife! He was sold-out of the exact model I had ordered, so he sent this one, and as it turns out, it's even nicer than the model I had ordered. The knife I ordered had the liner-extended lanyard hole, and as you can see, this knife doesn't have that, which was just fine by me, since I've never been a fan of lanyard holes, much like my dislike of pocket-clips. I prefer my knives with straight, solid profiles, and I think pocket-clips and lanyard holes take away from that profile. Sorry for the long-winded explanation, it's just that I feel the history behind a knife is just as important as the knife itself! On to the knife! It's a 9" unmarked stiletto/SS dagger blade with partial swedge on the top false edge, SS bolsters liners and screws, torx pivot, spine positioned safety, and gorgeous real wood scales with beautiful grain pattern. It has a stamp of a mountain lion, or perhaps a cougar, along with "Stainless" on the front of the blade, but is otherwise unmarked. This knife fires incredibly hard for a cheap auto, and locks-up solid with zero blade play! They must put the money into the springs when they build these knives, because the force that this one fires with, is quite surprising! I have only ordered 1 other knife from this seller, and it's a manual folder, because I decided I want to put my money into better quality autos, but these cheaper ones I own are great for "click therapy" purposes, and if I eventually break the springs it's no great loss, or, I can always tear them down and install new coil-springs! Stay tuned for more! 8)
WIN_20200614_10_58_28_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

That's a nice looking knife! How long is the blade
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Samb, It's exactly 4", and I was wrong about the total length, it's actually a full 9" open, since the handle is exactly 5". I was being lazy when I stated the length as 8 3/4", cuz I just guesstimated that length, based on another knife it was sitting beside, instead of getting my lazy ass ::zzz:: up to get the tape measure, sorry! *I have since edited the original post stating the correct length.* If you're thinking of getting one, just PM me, cuz I don't want to name the seller openly. Mark. 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice Mark, I like those wooden handles on that one. I’m partial to nice knives with wood handles.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mark, Mark, Mark! I just saw the 2 Russell Green Rivers you posted in your store, and let me say, I am very tempted to ask you to put them aside for me, and strike me a deal, but I won't, seeing as all my money is already tied up until August, and at some point I have to get back to saving for my autos, but I'm sure tempted! Very, very nice score my friend! And, if you like my knife with the wood scales, just wait till I get to some of my better ones in the days to come! Thanks, Mark. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Here's today's knife guys! ::ds:: And, as usual, there's a story behind it! This knife has been around for awhile, but this post is for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen it before, or, anyone who hasn't seen it for awhile. This piece came from a seller at DHGate.com, and is a seller I've ordered a number of knives from previously. My 1st order with him was for an auto, and prior to shipping it he messaged me that he thought it wise to un-assemble the knife and send the blade in a separate package, so as to get it past Customs, because there are no laws regarding the importation of "parts", but, it would be necessary to send it via Fedex, which carried a considerably higher shipping fee. He claimed that shipping with Fedex would likely be all that was necessary to get it to me successfully, due to their "Low Value Shipping Program" which is available to trusted sellers, and allows low valued items to breeze right through Customs, but just to be sure he should un-assemble it anyway. Since this order, I have received other knives from other sellers, through this program, but somewhere along the line Customs checked someone's order and discovered autos, so as far as I know it is no longer a feasible method. :x Back to the knife! So the knife was taken apart and sent in 2 separate packages, but, when I received the packages and was assembling my knife, I discovered that the spring was broken right at the joint. It appeared to be made of some sort of cast iron, so there was no possibility of welding or soldering it. When I messaged the seller stating this problem, he said, "No problem, I will send another one with your next order"! When my next order arrived, there was no new spring to be found. I again messaged him and he claimed he had forgotten and would send it in the next order. Once again, no new spring in my next order. This scenario happened 1 more time, and then I lost my patience! I messaged him and told him how disappointed I was with him, along with a stern scolding for running me around! I told him I was a good customer who had spent hundreds of dollars in his store, and I deserved to be treated better. He got back to me shortly afterward and told me that he was ashamed of himself ::facepalm:: for treating me so disrespectfully, and that he would rectify the situation immediately. He lived up to his word this time by sending me a new spring, along with an additional new knife, as well as a kit of torx screwdrivers, which I really needed for these Chinese knife assembly's, so in the long run, I was quite pleased! The whole incident left somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth, and I haven't placed an order at DHG since, although, this coincided with my decision to only purchase quality autos from here on in, plus, due to the poor relations between Canada and China over the Huawei controversy, I don't believe Chinese Customs is allowing exports of anything to Canada. I say this because I recently had a package from Amazon returned to the seller, by Customs, with NO explanation, and it was my 5th order of the same product from the same seller, so that's about all I can make of it! And finally, the knife! It's a 9" including skull-splitter lever-lock/SS modified bayonet blade, SS bolsters/lever/screws/skull-splitter/and liners, beautiful walnut scales/ripple grain pattern, and, pocket-clip. This knife is totally unmarked, so I have no idea who built it. It cracks open with authority, and locks-up solid, with the tiniest bit of play, although this can be eliminated due to the pivot being a screw. Weighs-in at a hefty 8 oz.'s and feels solid in your hand. All of US$18./delivered, but, I believe the price has since gone up. Although inexpensive, I don't use this knife for too much "click therapy", likely due to my knowledge of what the spring is made of, and the desire to not break it, and besides, I have others for that! Sorry again for being so long-winded, I just feel that the hoops I have to jump through to finally receive my knives makes my posts a bit more interesting! 8)
WIN_20200615_12_42_00_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Another nice one, anything you get from DHGate will be made in China. You should pick up some Ganzos if you ever order again, think you'll be impressed with the quality especially for the money.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks samb! Yes, I've been eye-balling the Ganzos for awhile now, but I need to find a seller that isn't sold-out! I recently got a Pro-Tech Godfather, and the Ganzos are somewhat similar, and if they're anything like the Godfather I know I'll like them! Thx for the info all the same! Mark. 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That is a nice one Mark. Again I really like the wooden handles, that’s some very nice walnut scales.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! I've got 4 more autos with wooden scales, but they're a little better quality, and I'll post them eventually, plus, I have a whole slew of manuals with wood scales, and when I start posting them on the proper thread I'll let you know. I'm very excited about the 2 you showed me today, ::ds:: can't wait to get them in hand! 8)
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”